Project run Wabbit run ... probably not 56k friendly

Started by Wabbitkilla, May 27, 2007, 18:54

Two's Company

Other than the obvious what's the difference between a big end and a little end?!

Wabbitkilla

Little ends are at the little end of the con rod. They are pressed in bi-metal bushes that then need to be machined to the correct clearance for the gudgeon pin to be installed. You then have to heat the piston to insert the pin.

The.big ends are at the big end of the con rod and come in two half shells. They sit in the end of the rod and the clamp end. You then clamp them around the crankshaft journal.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

DannyN

So you've finally done a bit after having two days off watching Dave ?
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "DannyN"So you've finally done a bit after having two days off watching Dave ?

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Yeah, it's been a complete drag waiting for a call any time   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
We went across around two to see how they were getting on, or ahem, gee them up.
They were promised for 4:30 and when I turned up at 4:30 they were ready. Very happy we can get into building up the engine in the morning, we should have it mounted in the chassis at the end of the day.  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

loadswine

Great stuff Nic.  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Wabbitkilla

So today we cracked on at a relaxed pace.

Rings fitted to the pistons

Pistons and rods installed

New oil pump installed

Chain installed

A word on chains, the original chain appeared quite loose before removal. As it turns out the overall stretch isn't that noticeable but the rollers are a lot loosed and obviously worn.

Just so you can see the improved design of the pistons better I took these photos.
Oil ring feeds external

Oil ring feeds internal

Oil ring drains

The end casing is now on the engine and the sealant is curing, tomorrow the rocker cover goes on, flywheel, and starter.
We will then fit the wiring harness, intake manifold, and alternator. The Toyota oil cooler then goes on with new oil cooler sandwich plate. A new sump will be going on once we have the engine on its mounts.

custardavenger

Thought it was about time I caught up with what you are up to. Looks like a good job.  s:) :) s:)
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

PeteT

Looks great, Well done both of you.
Pete

ShieldsOnTour

A little off topic - but why is the top of the piston not flat? What is the purpose of the quite complex shape? Anyone know?
One of *them* cars....
[strike]C-one front end & side skirts, TTE spoiler, TTE rear bumper inserts,  Anthracite post-FL wheels on Toyo T1R. 6-speed box. Cobra Quad exhaust. Red leather. Lowered. TTE style bar.  And lots of shinny ....[/strike]

custardavenger

Basically to get the compression ratio.
With 16v and modern heads the valves are at more an angle leaving a cavity in the head. the piston is shaped to fill that cavity to reduce it to the required compression. Also there are cut outs for the exhaust valves while open so they do not strike the piston top.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

ShieldsOnTour

Quote from: "custardavenger"Basically to get the compression ratio.
With 16v and modern heads the valves are at more an angle leaving a cavity in the head. the piston is shaped to fill that cavity to reduce it to the required compression. Also there are cut outs for the exhaust valves while open so they do not strike the piston top.

Nice one - cheers. I consider it a successful day when you learn something new .... and I'm now going to celebrate a successful day by sodding off to the pub for the afternoon  s:) :) s:)
One of *them* cars....
[strike]C-one front end & side skirts, TTE spoiler, TTE rear bumper inserts,  Anthracite post-FL wheels on Toyo T1R. 6-speed box. Cobra Quad exhaust. Red leather. Lowered. TTE style bar.  And lots of shinny ....[/strike]

Wabbitkilla

Starting to look like an engine now

New water pump

Gearbox attached, phew that was hard work, pretty much did us in!

Shiny new idler and tensioner pulleys

Wiring harness is now reattached and we're moving to install the intake manifold and throttle body.

Wabbitkilla

We're getting closer, coolant and oil is in.

We've actually progressed a bit more, now needing to drive the hub nuts on, reassemble  the brakes and refit the wheels and bumper. Really papping myself for startup.  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

Can't thank Ste enough for all his hard work, patience, understanding, and expertise.  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

loadswine

Well done guys. I love Ste's pile cushion by the way!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

PeteT

We need to introduce a "like" button!!

Fantastic job  s:) :) s:)   Good luck with the first startup.

ps, Don't forget to put some oil in first   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Pete

Two's Company

Are you going to get it remapped?

Wabbitkilla

I wasn't planning to remap, but considering the engine won't fire up on the PFC but will run on the OEM ECU there may be a problem. Runs a-ok on OEM but the throttle position is off by 12 degrees due to the modified tb. The PFC doesn't seem to be firing the injectors or coil packs.

Wabbitkilla

She lives   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Today has been sorting out niggles;
1. Vvti p1349 not operating. Took out and tested the vvti ocv on the bench, 12v makes it fire the plunger so it's OK. Reconnected to engine and did the same test, could hear it click but the engine didn't respond, this indicates the vvti controller on the end of the inlet camshaft is not working. The filter had already been checked. The PFC doesn't have an indicator for the vvti to show up faults so it may have been like this for a long time. Replaced it with one off a spare engine after thoroughly cleaning and lubricating it. Re-tested and the engine stopped showing vvti working and no more p1349.

2. High idle constantly and hunting idle when slowing to a stop. Testing showed the vsv valve not working, removed and cleaned, retested and now OK. Still high idle so removed throttle body and unmounted the IAC valve, oh yeah! IAC fully stuck, but we managed to bring it back to live with a good clean out and lubrication. Idle now settled in the right place.

3. Radiator fan not coming on at all. Removed fan and tested it finding it working fine, tested the fan relay by swapping with the foglight relay and it's OK too. Tested all wiring to the fan, all OK so put it back together with wd40 in the connector ... Result is a working fan at the right temperature.

Once run in I will have repaired my apexi PFC and will likely have a remap as there's now way of knowing how long these items have been faulty. We've found a small coolant leak on the pipes to the oil cooler (the Toyota one) which we fitted new Toyota clips to because the originals were FUBAR. So we're waiting for the engine to be cool and we will deal with them. Engine is full of Toyota oil, which is fine for running in but I don't like the look of it and will be replacing with my normal Fuchs Titan Pro S at first service approx 1000 miles from now.

New oil cooler isn't connected yet as I want to run in the engine without too many changes and don't want debris from the rebuild settling in the cooler.

ChrisGB

Looking at the last dyno graph for your engine, I would say the vvti controller has been out a while. Could see a nice fattening up in the mid range with it working. Looking good, very satisfying rebuilding your own engine.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

nathanMR2

Good news nic. Glad you've got things sorted. I know the pain of not knowing why things don't work the way they should.

What's your running in process going to be? Take it easy or drive it hard?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Wabbitkilla

Taking it easy till I get some confidence with the engine, I'm not going to go hard for a while.
Under 4000 rpm without labouring it for at least a couple of hundred miles and then gradually build up and exercise it up and down the rev range gradually. It's running really sweet and I don't want to break that, I'm really looking forward to spending another 100,000 miles mostly roof down.

I must mention some people who made this all possible;
Ste "Spit" without whom this would be absolutely impossible, his facilities, experience, hard working, and good company while putting me up for over two weeks is brilliant. He's a top mate.

Cheap Toyota Parts Chris for the supply of all major parts and more oil than the Amoco Cadiz, and words of encouragement.

Mattperformance for his friendly support and advice along with the loan of a bucket of shims for setting up the valve clearances.

Simon Quinlan who has Quinlan Vehicle Repairs in Glossop and supplied the sealant gloop, laughs, and removal of valve guide oil seals.

Excel Engine Services in Stockport who soda blasted the head and cleaned up the mating surfaces, great enthusiastic chaps who do a top job.

Quasar engineering in Stockport who fitted and machined the little ends.

B&J Racing in Manchester Trafford Industrial estate for the cleaning and testing of the injectors.

John at Pirtek Manchester for his advice, help, and supply of the new oil cooler pipes.

Popes of Stockport for the supply of stainless steel fasteners and plenty of gloves.

Alan of Denton RRG Parts department for the urgent bits we needed and the great discount he provided, top marks!

Tem for his quick answers to some question about the snagging problems, pointers really helped.

Douwe Egbert's for providing the stimulation to maintain our work.

Kojak, The Professionals, Magnum PI, The Eagles TV history and Clint Eastwood for entertaining us in our down moments and dead times waiting for parts and suppliers to deliver work.

Phew   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

DannyN

I wouldnt lend my PFC (on an hours notice) to just anyone    s:( :( s:(

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Wabbitkilla

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   Sorry Danny, yes indeed Danny dashed out to lend me his Apexi PFC when it became apparent mine was broken. Hugely appreciated mate, hopefully I'll have mine working soon and I can bring yours back. Really good to see you on both occasions. The GT86 is actually growing on me too. Actually I'm not kidding it's been brilliant to see you, it's been far too long.

DannyN

I was only teasing pal, was great to see you lot to and to be able to help get the 'Killa back on the road   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

[/size]

uktotty

Just caught up with this thread,  well done Nic and Ste, great effort and great result!

Tags: