Project run Wabbit run ... probably not 56k friendly

Started by Wabbitkilla, May 27, 2007, 18:54

Chris_h

Yeah - great effort, must be very rewarding to prepare your car for the next 100k - congrats!
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Wabbitkilla

First service today at 950 miles, drained the post-rebuild oil overnight and plumbed in the oil cooler.

I've got the oil cooler fed by a thermostatic sandwich plate, which varies the flow through the cooler depending on temperature. First indications are good, oil and coolant are at lower temperatures when in motion on motorways and a-roads. The engine bay is cooler after a run too, noticeable!

I've added another sandwich plate (thanks Roger) and added ProSport cheaper stepper motor Oil temp, and Oil pressure gauges. A bit of a panic at first when the oil pressure gauge read 7 bar even before starting the engine, but once the engine had run and cooled it sorted itself out. I'll post pictures of the gauges tomorrow in daylight, they are 52mm, smoked faces which light up white in daylight and amber at night to match the dashboard. They also have alarms and the whole face flashes to red when the alarm is triggered with the most annoying beep I've ever come across, methinks they will get sabotaged soon   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The engine is running very strongly, looking forward to building up the miles   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

loadswine

Excellent Nic, what was wrong with the PFC in the end? Loving that oil cooler in particular!  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "loadswine"Excellent Nic, what was wrong with the PFC in the end?

The chip which is the output amp feeding vsv, IAC, and injectors is blown.
There are four of these chips in the ECU, talk suggests only two of them are used in the PFC for the 1zz it's probably designed to run a v8 and then the plugs and software are changed depending on application. The good thing, I've found, about the PFC is that Apexi are not like other manufacturers and all the part numbers and component designations are still clearly displayed on the components. So I've ordered a replacement plus spares (from China) and will be replacing it when it arrives. What blew the chip? Well it was working fine before we dismantled everything, and it's been unplugged before without issue. Could have been a high current drain due to the stuck valves or it could have been a wet plug on an injector (over generous dose of wd40), or blind bad luck. I will be installing the new chip in a socket for easy replacement in case it happens again.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

loadswine

Cool, I shall be extra careful when removing mine today.  s;) ;) s;)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Wabbitkilla

Gauges as promised....

Daylight running

Night mode

Wabbitkilla

Latest update has been seen elsewhere but best to keep it all together here.
New Hurricane intake fitted,

Kit from elise-shop.com
Add 70mm-70mm silicone 45 degree pipe off eBay and cut it down in length to fit, then approx 12" of 80mm ducting.

These are the additional bits;
Silicone hose
Induction hose
Jubilee clips

The maf mount isn't perfect for fitting the maf into it but it does seal with a bit of care.

Next is a bit of suspension fettling (again) and refitting the e-manage ultimate for mapping.

nathanMR2

Looks a nice bit if kit Nic. I wonder how that set up compares with the PPE
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Looks a nice bit if kit Nic. I wonder how that set up compares with the PPE

PPE have stopped making the heat shielded version of their intake and are using cheaper filter, this one probably works out a little cheaper due to no import duties and the costs of delivery are UK only. From what I have seen of people quoting intake temperatures for the PPE then this maintains anywhere up to 10degrees cooler because it is pipes to the exterior of the car, you could probably achieve the same by piping the PPE to the car exterior too. Obvious difference is in physical bulk, I have a PPE heat shield and it is considerable bulkier than the Hurricane.

bluesmoke

Nice work Nik! A rebuild is the one thing I daren't try myself!

Didn't read far enough back to find out why you needed the build?

nadeemxb

I was curious to see if PPE had plans to sell the older version of the intake after reading this thread and sent them an email today. They came back with the following:

We switched from the Apexi filter to a better filter.  The Drift/iPerformance filter is a fully synthetic 3D weave material that can be washed and reused forever (Apexi filter is not designed for cleaning, just replacement).  iPerformance filters have a lifetime warranty and we have done testing that showed better performance than any oiled filter as well as better performance than other dry filters.  (Power gains from switching from a K&N to an iPerformance filter of 8whp have been seen on supercharged V8s as reported by TorqStorm Superchargers in Michigan)  
We haven't designed a new heat shield for these yet, but there are many universal filter heat shields available that will work with our new improved air filter.

Has anyone got the newer version and does the filter seem like an improvement or is this just cost cutting and BS? Also doesn't sound like they're in any rush to design a new heat shield.

snap3

(Power gains from switching from a K&N to an iPerformance filter of 8whp have been seen on supercharged V8s as reported by TorqStorm Superchargers in Michigan)

Sounds like BS to me..

Tags: