Project run Wabbit run ... probably not 56k friendly

Started by Wabbitkilla, May 27, 2007, 18:54

northernalex

Ditto chris, you did a VERY good job on my torque too!!..

V manage..hmmm.... but a quick question (and sorry to hijack your thread Nick) but is ignition timing the same as valve timing? edit... chris has already answered this..
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

aaronjb

Quote from: "northernalex"is ignition timing the same as valve timing?

No.

(Quick answer for a quick question  s;) ;) s;) )

Ignition timing is when the spark fires relative to TDC
Valve timing is when the valves open & close relative to TDC

(Longer answer for a quick question  s;) ;) s;) )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

northernalex

ahh so

Emanage blue + ultimate.. ignition timing and fueling
Vmanage .........................ignition timing, valve timing and fueling
PFC..................................ignition timing, valve timing and fueling
Camcon............................valve timing.
Unichip.............................valve timing.

Edit, I hope this is adding to the general feel of this thread.. if its too  much thread drift we can carry it on in another thread.

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Wabbitkilla

Strictly incorrect...

linky

To run a v-Manage you need an e-Manage and then you have a similar package to the PFC. So i suppose you could say you're buying PFC functionality in instalments.

Not cheap though £339 on e-Bay in the UK.
No harness listed for the MR-S MR2 1ZZFE but it is listed for the 1ZZFE Corolla. I could then have a box each side to balance up the appearance inside the bins (Ste you were talking about balance remember   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ).

Stop it Alex - you're tempting me !!!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

aaronjb

I believe the Unichip can do fuelling & ignition timing (but I didn't think it did valve timing) - could be wrong on that.

Personally I'd go PFC (and I will go PFC  s;) ;) s;) ), with the downside that you lose the factory immobiliser, so there's added expense there.

If I wanted better than the PFC then I'd be looking at Omex or MoTeC..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

northernalex

Ahh Nick, it would "bolt" straight onto your ultimate (doesnt mention the blue).... hmm wonder if there would be someway to use the camcon with the emanage blue/ultimate as it seems to do a similar thing for far less money.

Edit... aaron, this is from the unichip website

Variable valve timing adjustment
Rev limit adjustment
Boost limit & level adjustment
Dual maps for use with different fuel grades & types
Water Injection
Nitrous oxide progressive injection
Bigger/supplementary injector handling
Variable induction control
Launch control for turbo vehicles
Full throttle gear changes
Road speed limiter removal
Speedo conversion for imports
Shift light
Idle speed stabilisation

Another edit!!!.. and apparantly theres "megasquirt" too.. that the mx5 guys love.
evileye_xc said:

Wabbitkilla

I was thinking about the Camcon and looked it up on eBay, about half the price, i wonder what Chris thinks. I think the v-Manage would just be more compatible and easier to deal with alongside an eMu. Plus i get another shiny box  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Camcon looks a bit ham-fisted by comparrison, not just its appearance, but the way it's setup
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

aaronjb

Ah - sorry Alex, yes, Unichip does fuelling & valve timing, but not ignition timing

Megasquirt - I thought about it long and hard, but right now it just doesn't have the features.. it (last time I checked) also can't control direct ignition systems like ours, so it's off the table for us.

Compared to the PFC, or even the eManage, it's a big step down - but it's good if you want a totally homebrew setup (just not on our car!)

Anonymous

Nic

I have to take my hat off to you mate, that's some list of goodies. I must admit I thought you would have been around my figures - you certainly should be.

I think you are spot on with regard to the Che, it's a good cheap compromise but does not take tuning very well.

Holiday - now there a thought.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob.

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"I
Personally I'd go PFC (and I will go PFC  s;) ;) s;) ), with the downside that you lose the factory immobiliser, so there's added expense there.

Aaron

£95 fitted - cat 2. Better than the factory fit  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob.

Wabbitkilla

Yes, the Che is neat and it gets rid of the pre-cats nicely (though i didn't have them). I'm glad those two big empty chambers are gone, they were just causing loud bangs. I get bangs now but they're more "tunefull", plus i've kept that great engine noise!

Plus i thought, "if i'm going to be going turbo sometime next year, why spend too much on a manifold". I like yours, but not the price tag.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Yes, the Che is neat and it gets rid of the pre-cats nicely (though i didn't have them). I'm glad those two big empty chambers are gone, they were just causing loud bangs. I get bangs now but they're more "tunefull", plus i've kept that great engine noise!

Plus i thought, "if i'm going to be going turbo sometime next year, why spend too much on a manifold". I like yours, but not the price tag.

Yep not much point putting an expensive manifold on if you go turbo, but if you were to go supercharger   s:idea: :idea: s:idea:    s:idea: :idea: s:idea:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Wabbitkilla

Will you stop it - my bank manager is having fits already  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Actually reading PE's Camcon page it seems to be a useful box if configured properly. Cheaper than the v-Manage and has a PnP harness available from Boomslang. Saying that i don't need the fueling adjustment it offers, only the cam timing features.

Back to v-Manage then.

But at the end of the day, the turbo is the best way to go now. Super charger? Alas no - i don't like any of the setups i've seen so far, and i've learned so much about turbos that i'm getting to the point of no return.

GT2554R for me when i can afford it, with cast manifold link to standard exhaust connection, charge cooler and bov.

Anonymous

Hi Wabbitkilla,

Which manifold do you plan on using and how do you plan on linking to the stock exhaust position when you go turbo?  

Quotewith cast manifold link to standard exhaust connection
Thanks,

Panek

custardavenger

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Actually reading PE's Camcon page it seems to be a useful box if configured properly. Cheaper than the v-Manage and has a PnP harness available from Boomslang. Saying that i don't need the fueling adjustment it offers, only the cam timing features.

Can you not control the Cam with the Ultimate outputs? I'm sure I read somewhere that it was possible.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Wabbitkilla

1. Not sure on the manifold front. I'd rather obtain a cast manifold like the top secret kit has in it or a  if someone else makes one that gives me enough room that I need. Zorstec have offered to make up a tubular one. Then I want a link pipe made up to connect the original exhaust interface to the turbo outlet.

2. No the eMu doesn't control valve timing, you need to couple it up to a V-Manage to do that. Which is a shame, I wonder why Greddy don't build valve timing control into the ultimate.

I suppose I might add the V-manage to my shopping list for the turbo setup, it all depends on the funding I have available at the time.

Wabbitkilla

Aaaahhh peeps, I thought it was worth adding a likkle update and a warning for you all.

Disaster!!!!

Tinkering with the e-Manage i was going to start using some of those advanced features. But thought first i would make sure the software was up to date. So I downloaded v2.16 from Mohdparts and install it. I grabbed and saved the maps already in there, and then went for the upgrade.

Unfortunately the immobiliser had other plans! 50 seconds after starting the immobiliser cut the power - the e-Mu takes around 2 minutes to upgrade! erm - no more talking to the eMu!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I tried starting up (stupidly it turns out, more later) and she ran - log a dog, so stopped, tried the upgrade manually, but every 50 seconds - off went the power and couldn't complete!

So eventually i found a 12v supply in the house, powered up the eMu and went for the upgrade again. Hey, y'now it worked and i could converse again with the beloved. All maps still present and correct - time to get back into the car.

Everything reconnected, OBDII checked for codes (none present) so I try a start up. All I get is the engine being turned over by the starter. I check all connections and eventually run the battery flat!

Still no OBDII codes! So battery off, put on charge in the house and removed the eMu and its harness so we're back on the Toyota ECU only. Reconnect a fully charged battery - same thing.

So it appears the Toyota ECU is burned. I'm guessing that the startup attempt when the eMu had corrupted software has put bad conditions on either the ignition or injector amps in the oem ecu and blown the transistors. Oh yeah, forgot to say - no fuses blown either!

PANIC  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Ok, I've been talking to some people on here who have calmed me, cheered me, and encouraged me ... cheers guys - you know who you are. Offers of oem ECU's coild packs etc, great - this is why I love this club.

Anyway, fearing the eMu has a fault, i didn't want to risk someone elses ECU, even if they're not using it now. I'll keep the offer of coild packs in reserve too.

I've now sold the boomslang harness to someone who will appreciate it and it's nice to help someone and see a little good come out of this madness.

What now you ask?

Well I figured that cost-wise it's about the same cost to replace the oem ECU and eMu and get the key codes changed on the ECU as getting an Apexi PFC.

So today, a fresh Apexi Power-FC landed on my desk, and there's a data logit on the way too. System check this weekend hopefully, and when the Data logit arrives from MWR it'll be time to try some mapping. Fingers crossed nothing is wrong anywhere else  s:? :? s:?  

Power with the eMu was 147.1bhp.
I wonder what it'll be with PFC adjusting valve timing too - that will be good to compare identical engine setup with different ECU's  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Hi Nic

Glad you managed to get it sorted, you should be looking at a further 10 BHP / Torque if you can get the right map.

Rob.

DannyN

oh no....

Doesn't sound great pal but it seems your over the worst and have new shiny bits   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

If the datalogit is easy to connect up then your more than welcome to tea leaf the map on my Power FC next time we meet up

How much did it cost you BTW ?

Keep smiling   s:D :D s:D
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Chris_h

Hope it works out Nic - clouds and silver linings perhaps? If you get an extra 10bhp, it may have been a worthwhile palava!
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

spit

Quite a bizarre chain of events Nic.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

It'll be good to see how you get on with the PFC and datalogit - nice looking kit.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Wabbitkilla

Ok some more modding has been going on.

My Apexi power intake arrived while i was in Glencoe and has now been fitted courtesey of a visit to the Spitstop. The PFC goes in on the 21st April and will be dialled in by Noble Motorsport in Chesterfield, I'll report figures that night probably.

The intake makes an interesting noise in conjunction with the exhaust. At times there's definitely more urge according to my bum and back, I'm just learning to drive with it again.

Another performance mod has been in the weight saving department - i've lost 4 stone since Jan 8th, and have another 3 1/2 ish to go   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

A set of 2's -r- us droplinks are on their way.

On the gadget front i have a Flycamone Version 2 waiting for me at the sorting office with 8GB SD card for attaching to the car and recording moments.

On the appearance front, my wheels have been off and pouder coated gloss black with clear lacquer for £35 a corner, and are fitted with JDM centre caps.

I've also finally fallen for a spoiler and fitted it.

The whole car has been treated with a make-over of 10 stage clean and wax, 8 to 12 hours intensive attention!

And there's one final addition, I'll see if you spot it and its relevance  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

So to show off, here're a few pixxures;

spit

Absolutely classic Nic   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  . I was giggling my danglies off as you followed me up the motorway last night!

And now that you've gone public with it, I have to say you're looking so well now having shifted some weight. Good on you!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

aaronjb

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Another performance mod has been in the weight saving department - i've lost 4 stone since Jan 8th, and have another 3 1/2 ish to go   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Ruddy ell man, did you hack off a leg?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

You're putting me to shame, but well done Nic  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Nic, that looks absolutely beautiful mate  s8) 8) s8)

Tags: