Smoke from the exhaust

Started by Anonymous, May 31, 2007, 18:03

Anonymous

Had a small problem with some white/blue smoke comming from the exhaust when stationary the other day. I stopped at the traffic lights when the smoke started to come, out not a lot but enough to get me worried. When I drove off it stopped. The car is driving fine no problems at all. I has been using a bit of oil and is due a oil change. Happened before after a big run abit of smoke then it stoped.

The car was fitted with a TTET last March and the SP stage II went in in January and no changes since then. Its a 2004 and had no problems with the precats they wern't in for long. Any thoughts ?

Anonymous

So its never happened since turboin the car? what was the weather conditons like there recently and was early in the day?

Anonymous

Never had any problems before going turbo. Funny enough both time were when it has been quite cold and raining a bit. Last time was after a 10 mile drive and it was in the evening.

Anonymous

Personally i wouldnt worry! my 2 always chucked out white smoke with the TTE, not as as much now as it did, now its SP'd,  maybe because its a different exhaust, but i noticed its worse depending on atmospheric conditions, ie cool temps and moisture, etc, just keep an eye out on it! if no noises or performance issues have arisen, then keep having fun   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Mine chucks out loads of smoke for the first 10 mins now it's de-catted. I'm glad it's happening to others   s:) :) s:)

kanujunkie

i've seen this on TTET's as well and iirc its been reported before on here. Just out of interest how's the crank case breather setup?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"..... iirc its been reported before on here....

DavidM reported it over a year ago and it was discussed as condensation. Mine has an oily smell to it and looks more like smoke.

Anonymous

Good to know it's not just me then. The engine sounds thesame as it always did a bit ticky but that is probably down to the 0w-40 oil that I am using. Does anyone know why it would smoke a bit only happens for me after I have been driving for a bit the stop at lights with the engine going ?

kanujunkie

never understood why TTE say you need to put 0W40 in, its got all the consistency of water
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Edited.... it stopping briefly but is smoking again

Liz

I put 5w40 in mine this time, I thought I saw smoke the other night when I looked in my mirror and the cars headlights behind mine appeared to be shining through smoke - maybe someone can have a look for me on the drive on Saturday.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

aaronjb

I'm sure you'll be able to get one of us to look at your rear, Liz..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Anyone want to look at my rear....   s:? :? s:?  

It's a bit smelly though   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

I spoke to Matt @ SP today and he said that his car does the same and it is normal for the car to do this. Even though I spoke to him I am still a bit worried as it was smoking twice today. I had a oil change done last week and was hoping that it would have sorted the problem out. The engine bay does seam quite hot but it probably me just being over causious. I will just have to measure the oil consumption and see if there is a issue there.   s:? :? s:?    s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Hmmm, mine is doing it again. I think I'll join you on the oil consumption monitoring   s:( :( s:(

firepower

i have noticed smoke from my car on occasions and it did worry me originally but the car does not use any oil and has not made any noises other than the norm , so it appears to be a trait of the tte turbo possibly  due to the 0w-40 oil , time will tell .
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

Anonymous

Quote from: "simonmr2"I spoke to Matt @ SP today and he said that his car does the same and it is normal for the car to do this. Even though I spoke to him I am still a bit worried as it was smoking twice today. I had a oil change done last week and was hoping that it would have sorted the problem out. The engine bay does seam quite hot but it probably me just being over causious. I will just have to measure the oil consumption and see if there is a issue there.   s:? :? s:?    s:? :? s:?

Well my fan isnt even operating and neither is SP's, so i wouldnt worry too much about heat! im not!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

The fan on mine has only been on twice since going to stage II in January  I am not really worried just it's getting quite hot in there. I have been thinking about some extra cooling and possibly aquamist.

firepower

chris can you not get your fan fixed under the tte warranty , it may not cause you any problems but i would want my car to be in full working order   s:) :) s:)
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft

Anonymous

The fan is controlled with the TTE ECU but with the stage II it is replaced with the SP ECU so is now hooked up to the radiator at the front of the car which isn't on to much.

Anonymous

Yeah it will get fixed Phil, when i get work done on the car next at SP, for some reason they got Simon's fan working fine but mine didnt work it was doing the opposite to what it should be doing but they ran out of time to troubleshoot it, anyway Matt will sort it!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Simon why dont you start to upgrade ur 2 setup when you do the cooling, then you can do more power at the same time  s8) 8) s8)

firepower

i thought the turbo fan was tripped by the sensor on the boot lid that measures the temp in the engine bay , if it is linked to the fan on the radiator at the front of the car which also benifits from cool air as you drive that would explain why it does not come on as often , my fan comes on a lot so this may be a teathing problem that sp needs to sort out with the sp240   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

As far as i see it because the TTE piggyback is made redundant so is the programing that operates the fan is lost, hence SP using the radiator fan to work with the engine bay fan but to behonest the TTE fan comes on far too much, unnessesary at times, so really with the SP way you should in theory be getting best of both worlds!

firepower

i have noticed that my fan does come on a lot but then the engine bay is very hot but i have also noticed that the radiator fan that is positioned at the front of the car and benifiting from cool air whilst driving hardly ever comes on. the turbo fan and radiator fan are operating under different conditions .

Tags: