Smoke from the exhaust

Started by Anonymous, May 31, 2007, 18:03

Anonymous

Just had the car out for a good spanking and the smoke started to come out the hood so I stopped and had a look and there was smoke comming from one of the hoses that goes into the turbo. It is covered in heat wrap which has nearly all come off. I have some pics so hopefully it is a easy change the pipe and heat wrap and the car is sorted.

I have sent the pics to Matt @ SP so he can have a look. Must give him a buzz now.

aaronjb

So much for it being normal eh?

That looks (from what I can tell) to be a coolant feed hose I think - so the smoke from there would be steam..

Although there appears to be some black stuff splattered around that's more likely to be oil, so perhaps that's leaking too..

Anyway - as people have said over on SC, smoke (from anywhere, including the exhaust) is not normal.

[edit] Ah, you said you think it's the oil return over at SC - is this a shot looking upward from under the car?

If so that's highly likely - which would explain the smoke if it's backed up and no longer emptying properly..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Turns out it the water return line so that rules that idea out. I am going to get the heat wrap replaced and have some one look at the oil lines on the Turbo itself.

Anonymous

umm! that heat wrap has seen better days, wonder why its got that worn out looking!

Anonymous

I was getting a bit worn before I went stage II and after that the extra heat in the engine bay has just melted it. I am taking it to my local shop that does a lot of work of evo's for them to have a look at the oil return and the heat wrap hopefully they can shed some light on the whole thing.

Anonymous

I had a friend look at the car and they couldn't see anything wrong with it except the heat but he seamed to think that the smoke is white and not blue as I thought and there is a very funny smell from the exhaust and engine bay. The problem seams tobe getting worse as it is smoking all the time now itsits idleing for more than 30secs. I am confused   s:? :? s:?    s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

I know you say you have monitored the oil consumption but have you monitored the coolant consumption?  Perhaps it is time for a compression and leak down test of the cylinders.  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "simonmr2".....and there is a very funny smell from the exhaust and engine bay....

Is the funny smell just because there is no cat?

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie".....Just out of interest how's the crank case breather setup?

I've just had a look at the installation manual and I can't see any real difference from the stock setup. The engine breather hose is shortened a little but that's the only modification. My (very limited) understanding though is that this is after idling and there is very little blow by volume at idle which would rule out the PCV setup.

Anonymous

Had the car up a my local garage who do a lot of work on evo's etc and they have diagnosed the problem as a leaking seal in the turbo letting oil get into the exhaust causing the smoke. The car is going into them next week for them to do some heatwraping and then they will have a look at the turbo to double check this.

They say they have seen this problem before on other cars such as subaru's and evos because of the heat created under the hood.

Anonymous

Interesting! update, soon as!

Anonymous

Keep us posted. I suspect I might have the same problem.

Anonymous

The heat wrap on my car is knackered and I think this has had a major effect on this and with the severe heat the seals have just sprung a leak. Hopefully this is what it is as it is a simple job for these guys to do. It realy has been annoying me as it is really embarasing.

Haven't had any oil problems still full after 1000 miles of motoring so again I am confused !!

aaronjb

I'd be impressed if you could make turbo bearing seals (I think the TTE is plain bearing?) leak enough to be noticable on the dipstick..

Even when I grenaded a turbo totally it didn't leak that much out the exhaust side.. most of it came out the intake side, actually (all over the firewall of the car  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

It's only when I'm sat idling for any length of time that I get blue smoke. And I'm talking LOTS of it. It's totally embarressing coupled with the loud clutch squeek I have   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I've had oil in the tail pipes, inlet seems fine at the throttle body - no signs of oil. Coolant levels haven't budged at all! No contamination in the coolant in the rad. O2 sensors in exhaust manifold look fine. It must be leaking in my turbo .... exhaust side. This could be due to blocked oil drain from the turbo, pressure in crank case or oil seal, I'm not sure which.

It's definately got worse since I decatted. Loss of back pressure drawing oil out of the turbo perhaps?

Anonymous

Matt that is exactly what I have been getting when I leaveit in next week and they have a look at the turbo hopefully we will have a answer to what is the problem.

Anonymous

The car is in now and they are going to look at the turbo to see if that is still working properly. The waiting game beging now. Might be able to claim on waranty.

ninjinski

Quote from: "simonmr2"Might be able to claim on waranty.

Might wanna change your signature 'SP Turbo Stage **'    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

Anonymous

Just of the phone about my car and it's not good news they say that the turbo is knackered and will either need replacing or referbed. They say that there is loads of discharge round the turbo and there is to much play in the turbo shaft. I have phoned Matt and a awaiting his return call. Total pita as I really need my car for work.

The turbo only went on in March 06 soit seams a short time to go boom but hope between SP & ECC they will be able to sort the problem out.

aaronjb

Do you happen to know (did they say?) whether the turbo is a ball-bearing CHS or plain thrust bearing CHS?

If it's the former then refurb is unlikely (I was lead to believe, by a Garrett dealer, impossible) - if it's the latter then refurb is easy, but upgrade to a 360deg. thrust bearing if it doesn't already have one as they're much stronger.

Also - see if you can find out the spec of the turbo and the boost pressure the upgrade runs it at.. I'd love to see how hard the envelope on these is being pushed - dying in a year suggests very hard indeed.

Anonymous

I am going up shortly to collect the car untill I can talk to SP to see if they are going to sort it out through the waranty with TTE (dont mention stage II) I will find out. The car is used to the max every day I dont hold back.

Anonymous

I had a problem with my turbo or i suppose you could say still have, we are talking about a year and a half ago when i was having work done on the 2 and rouge mentioned that they had found some damage to the turbo, to do with the blades! at some stage they got damaged but *touch wood* it hasnt effected the running and performance of the car!

But i carnt say when the turbo would have got damaged?! so i wonder if theres an issue there!

Anonymous

That is the same problem that ECC say is wrong with my turbo and that there is a lot of movement in the rotors. Having spoke to Matt he has a other theory about the seals and the vacume when the car is idleing as there is now 3 cases of the same problem. He is collecting info on it and is going to contact TTE to se what they have to say about it.

Also the Garrett turbo could be reconditioned if it is bust but you would be looking at £500ish for this. I really need TTE to sort out the problem and get my car running back to 100%.

aaronjb

Quote from: "simonmr2"Also the Garrett turbo could be reconditioned if it is bust but you would be looking at £500ish for this.

Er.. you can buy a whole new unit for £500!

Anonymous

Quote from: "simonmr2"Also the Garrett turbo could be reconditioned if it is bust but you would be looking at £500ish for this. I really need TTE to sort out the problem and get my car running back to 100%.

I would of thought for that money you could upgrade for a new and better one? *edit, i see aaron best me to it*

Did the guys who looked at it or did Matt say anything to you about long term use?

Tags: