2 things about my gearbox ...

Started by Anonymous, June 1, 2007, 10:45

Anonymous

Two things about my gearbox:

1) I have noticed ever since I bought my car a year ago, a very slight whine from my gearbox - this is only really noticeable in 4th gear with very little throttle at a constant 35mph (or 2000rpm) - as soon as you give it more throttle or  accelerate past 35mph it's completely gone.  It's there a bit (even less) when taking your foot off the throttle in 3rd at really low revs - say around 20mph...

I changed the 'box oil to redline MT90 the other week - didn't seem to make much difference, so perhaps I am just being paranoid....  similar sounds are there in my Ford Focus, but they are much more suppressed as it is a much quieter car in general.

It's an '04  6 speeder 40K miles btw.  The Dealer said it was totally normal for the MR2 to have a slightly whiney 'box ... and nothing to worry about,  so would be an uphill struggle to have any work done on it before the warranty expires (in Aug)...  

2) It makes quite a nice click, click (mechanical feeling) noise when changing up from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th, but less (more rubbery) 3rd to 4th and 5th to 6th... i.e. when moving gearbox lever forward to the front of the car it clicks, when moving it backward to the back of the car it is more rubbery....    I don't mind either way, it is just odd there is a difference.

Any comments? Paranoia setting it?

Cheers!

rtbiscuit

my box has never whined, and the only 2 boxes i heard that did, both required replacing or new bearings.

speak to mark or stu (kanujunkie)

if i was you i would definiatly think about getting it checked, and if they refuse get them to sign a declaration stating that if the gear box goes within 6 months of the warrenty running out, that they are obliged to fix it cos you had told them so 6 months before hand.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

roger

Too loud in my cabin to hear any gear box noise   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ,

but just a stab at number 2. There are a couple of rubber bushes at the end of the gear cables in the engine compartment.

Just wondering if one of those is on the way out. I wouldn't have thought so being an '04, but you never know. The "standard" replacements are metal bushes which stop dead any movement from the rubber ones.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"my box has never whined, and the only 2 boxes i heard that did, both required replacing or new bearings.

speak to mark or stu (kanujunkie)

if i was you i would definiatly think about getting it checked, and if they refuse get them to sign a declaration stating that if the gear box goes within 6 months of the warrenty running out, that they are obliged to fix it cos you had told them so 6 months before hand.

Now you have me worried....    Trouble is they have already said it is OK -- some time ago - it hasn't got any worse since then - 8K miles -

I could go back for a declaration I suppose....   or perhaps try another dealer....  

I read somewhere else on here that slight whines are normal on this car...  does anyone still agree with that?

aaronjb

And for an alternative view  s;) ;) s;)  Mine has always whined very very slightly - at a level that doesn't concern me..

Diagnosing noises is very hard over the internet, though - so what I think is unconcerning might sound like all hell is letting loose to someone else, or vice versa  s:) :) s:)

On the 'box feel - I'd agree with roger, it's probably the cable-end rubber bushes.  You can replace them with brass versions for superior notchiness  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

darrenjuggins

Sounds like a bearing problem, mine went on a 2000 model at about 80k.

The Mechanic made me laugh, he said, you had your gearbox replaced yet, I went know, he said right, back to base, lets order one.

Apparently the gearbox (was) the same in mine as the avensis and they go much earlier apparently, so yeah sounds like a bearing problem... visit a different dealer... mainly Listers Toyota Lincoln....

Other things you could do is take out an extended warranty, then when it goes, it's all covered anyway.

(BTW a 2yr warranty will be less than bearing replacement & labout at Mr T's, so a no brainer).

Cheers
Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

kanujunkie

i'm with Roger and Aaron on the selector feel and i'm also with Aaron on the internet diagnosis, you just cant diagnose things like that on the internet. When your location says London, where abouts are you exactly?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"And for an alternative view  s;) ;) s;)  Mine has always whined very very slightly - at a level that doesn't concern me..

Diagnosing noises is very hard over the internet, though - so what I think is unconcerning might sound like all hell is letting loose to someone else, or vice versa  s:) :) s:)

On the 'box feel - I'd agree with roger, it's probably the cable-end rubber bushes.  You can replace them with brass versions for superior notchiness  s;) ;) s;)

Thanks aaronjb,

Yep agree it is impossible to diagnose noises over the internet.  I think the whine is slight and probably nothing to worry about - dealer certainly agrees - but may get a second opinion.

How easy is it repplace the rubber bushes with the brass ones?  Did you do this on yours?

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"i'm with Roger and Aaron on the selector feel and i'm also with Aaron on the internet diagnosis, you just cant diagnose things like that on the internet. When your location says London, where abouts are you exactly?

Based near Hertford these days...  but used Andrew Rowley Toyota St. Albans so far....  I've heard MrT in Milton Keynes is quite a good one?

kanujunkie

your about halfway between Mark(welwyn) and Aarons(staines) as well, perhaps you can pm one of them then pop over and let them have a listen.
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"your about halfway between Mark(welwyn) and Aarons(staines) as well, perhaps you can pm one of them then pop over and let them have a listen.

Cheers - I might just do that if I don't get any further joy out of the dealers....   s:) :) s:)

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"and Aarons(staines)

SLOUGH!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Ok, not a great deal better than Staines, but still  s;) ;) s;)

And yes - welcome to pop over and for me to have a listen.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Cheers - I'll let you know if I don't have any luck with the dealers - I've got until Aug when the warranty runs out - then a second opinion would be most useful....

ChrisGB

Quote from: "adetri"Two things about my gearbox:

1) I have noticed ever since I bought my car a year ago, a very slight whine from my gearbox - this is only really noticeable in 4th gear with very little throttle at a constant 35mph (or 2000rpm) - as soon as you give it more throttle or  accelerate past 35mph it's completely gone.  It's there a bit (even less) when taking your foot off the throttle in 3rd at really low revs - say around 20mph...

I changed the 'box oil to redline MT90 the other week - didn't seem to make much difference, so perhaps I am just being paranoid....  similar sounds are there in my Ford Focus, but they are much more suppressed as it is a much quieter car in general.

It's an '04  6 speeder 40K miles btw.  The Dealer said it was totally normal for the MR2 to have a slightly whiney 'box ... and nothing to worry about,  so would be an uphill struggle to have any work done on it before the warranty expires (in Aug)...  

2) It makes quite a nice click, click (mechanical feeling) noise when changing up from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th, but less (more rubbery) 3rd to 4th and 5th to 6th... i.e. when moving gearbox lever forward to the front of the car it clicks, when moving it backward to the back of the car it is more rubbery....    I don't mind either way, it is just odd there is a difference.

Any comments? Paranoia setting it?

Cheers!

Sure you have not been driving my car? Sounds like you are describing it. The gear whine got quieter when I changed to Silkolene Silktran 5 gear oil, but is still there a little. It does not seem to be getting any worse.

I tried a few cars before I bought mine, including a dealer pre reg with 150 miles on it and they all had a slight gearbox whine.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Chris - Yes, it does seem like it is a case of they all whine to some extent....  I also found this thread:

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12096&highlight=whine

I have to say I am re-assured to hear this!  I think I am perhaps being a little bit paranoid (the usually - my warranty is about to end thoughts!)....

Tags: