Help - Toyo Proxes T1-R pressures

Started by Anonymous, June 6, 2007, 20:48

Anonymous

Today Etyres fitted 195/50/15 front and 225/40/16 rears and having searched through the various threads relating to tyre pressures can't seem to find 2 posts that advise the same pressures for these tyres.  

The rears are not the reinforced type and I am hoping that someone has done some experimentation and arrived at an optimal setting.  I realise that this may be a personal preference and there may already be a post somewhere that I missed with the search function.

Steve

Wabbitkilla

Hey there Steve,

I've got the same tyres and sizes.
I found that for the standard suspension and weight front 26lbs and rear 36lbs was the best setting for me. Any higher and they're super twitchy, any lower and i could feel them being sloppy and rolling on the rims.

Remember that for the first couple of hundred miles you have a coating on them which will make them fell "odd", but once you're past that and get them warmed up they're brilliant.

Take care out there,

Nic
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

I always go by stock pressures +2psi. Worked well for me on both the MR2 and the VX.

Anonymous

Thanks Nic and Ekona,

They are at 28lbs front and 35lbs rear (as advised by the fitter) at the mo but as Nic said,  need to give them a little time for the release agent to wear off.  Today they were definitely feeling "odd" in that they didn't feel  connected to the car.

I'm off to the Ferrari 60th anniversary at Silverstone this week end so that should help a little and bearing in mind what you've said will play around a bit with the pressures to see what suits best.

Thanks guys

Steve

Anonymous

Feeeling odd is normal for new Toyos.  IMO this is not due to the release agent.   You need to scrub them in good & proper -get some heat cycles through them before they get even half decent.  It took me 1.5k miles (having said that it was mostly town traffic with the odd blast)   s:evil: :evil: s:evil: .

Fact is, stock RE040s are much much stiffer with far less movement on the rim, they feel more planted up to the limit but quick to let go and difficult to right in time!!!

Some love Toyos but I prefer the stiffness of the RE040s and would live with poor performance in the wet and the snap when you push that bit too hard   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

EDIT:  I'm running 28F 36R & they're still not as stiff as the RE040s at stok pressures.  Toyota put the RE040s on for a good reason!

mrsmr2

Agree with previous poster, and previous posts about pressures.

I run my T1-Rs around 27/28 and 34/35.  Never been totally happy with them at any pressure.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

Another one like MRMRS. The toyo's didn't feel right at any pressure even after 3-4K miles. Back to yokohama's now and it' back to being fun again!

Beowulf

I have just recently changed my rears from Eagle F1's to Proxies. Yes I know I really should not mix the tyres, but I really cant afford it at the moment, seems like everything was due at once. I too thought they felt 'odd' and I am pleased to hear that they should get better. With normal driving all seems ok and taking low speed corners all is well. However when taking high speed long sweeping corners it seems as if the rear is swaying around and i have to back off the steering and reapply it in really small increments whereas the F1's seemed like I was on rails. It has got a little better and I just thought it was me getting used to the tyre characteristics. Just glad to know its not just me,lol.  s:) :) s:)
Entropy always increces.

2001 red 46K stock (apart from de-badging on my rear (ooh err)) never had a problem in 5 years!  (touches wood quickly)

Wabbitkilla

Well I found the Toyos infinitely better than the Potenzas - and i think it's really down to personal taste.

Using 26/36 when flying up & down the Cat & Fiddle i was managing four wheel drifting very nicely  s8) 8) s8)
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Chris_h

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Well I found the Toyos infinitely better than the Potenzas - and i think it's really down to personal taste.

Using 26/36 when flying up & down the Cat & Fiddle i was managing four wheel drifting very nicely  s8) 8) s8)

I will try your set up Nic - I am currently on 29/34 - which is acceptable (vain attempt to save the front edges from going bald). IN theory your pressures should shift balance a fair bit more on the nose - of course on stock springs, much of the balance of the car is lost in 'squidge'.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Wabbitkilla

Well, yes - my suspension isn't standard  s8) 8) s8)  but i had the same pressures on the standard setup and it was good.

But give it a go and see what you think.

Mind you - i have worn the corners off, but the majority of the tread is good for quite a few miles more.

Anonymous

Today I scared myself sh*****s coming off M1 j4 to go to Stanmore,  as you exit, the road takes an uphill sweeping right going back over the motorway.  I took it at about 20mph less than normal and the back end just had a mind of its own, felt like the rear tyres were flexing.  I have never experienced this before in the 2 and frankly don't want to again.  

I know there are club members that rave over these tyres but I am beginning to think this was a big mistake switching from the Yokos.  I am now going to take things a little easier until they are well scrubbed in and hopefully things will improve.   Thanks for all your comments.

Steve

Chris_h

Steve - it does get better, but I know exactly what you mean. like driving on marbles.

Do you also find the throttle steer is really exaggerated?
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

mrsmr2

Quote from: "Chris_h"
Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Well I found the Toyos infinitely better than the Potenzas - and i think it's really down to personal taste.

I will try your set up Nic - I am currently on 29/34 - which is acceptable (vain attempt to save the front edges from going bald). IN theory your pressures should shift balance a fair bit more on the nose - of course on stock springs, much of the balance of the car is lost in 'squidge'.

This (29/34) will make the nose a bit sharper but you have increased the pressure at the front more than the rear.  This will make the car understeer a bit more than standard.  Generally, I run the fronts at 1 psi less than the rears.

For example:
RE040s - front 25 (-1 on manufacturer recommendation), rear 32 (standard);
T1-Rs - front 28 (+3 to reduce tyrewall flex then -1), rear 35 (+3 to reduce tyre wall flex)

I hope that makes sense.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Chris_h

yes it does - its a work in progress finding something I agree with.

I started by carrying on the stock stagger and going up in a vain attempt to save corners of tyre and get a bit more feel (as i loved from the A043).

I am a little understeery, but only a little and seem to have rampant lift-off tuck- in (and I mean the variety which can initiate fun sideways moments when a bity abrupt   s:D :D s:D   - ala pug 205 1.9).

I am going to try softening the front progressively to see if I can get on with it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "steveupton"Today I scared myself sh*****s coming off M1 j4 to go to Stanmore,  as you exit, the road takes an uphill sweeping right going back over the motorway.  I took it at about 20mph less than normal and the back end just had a mind of its own, felt like the rear tyres were flexing.  I have never experienced this before in the 2 and frankly don't want to again.  

Yep, this is one of the symptoms I experienced too.  New TR-1s felt just plain dangerous.  Play around with the pressures (upwards) and be aggressive with them on slow(ish) corners where you can't come to any harm -you'll be able to do this as TR-1s slide/scuff more progressively unlike harder compound tyres.  After a while they'll start to feel a little more settled at higher speeds.

ninjinski

This really is a turn around of opinion. I've only ever driven a 2 with these tyres once and hated them - That was on Silverstone Performance's TTET. I could never understand how anyone thought they were a credible tyre.

I'm running the Advan Neovas (same tyre that come on the elise) and wont be changing away from them any time soon - Great tyre if anyone is looking to move away from the stock options.
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

Anonymous

Thanks for the reassurance shaunyf and Chris_h, I will persevere, last night I was on the verge of ordering a new set of tyres!  

I have increased the rear pressure so am now running 28psi front and 36 rear.  The strange thing is that the car feels just as planted in short, sharp bends as it did on the Yokos so I will continue to take these at the same speed as before.

I will be doing a few hundred miles this coming week so hopefully things will improve.

Thanks all

Steve

mrsmr2

Quote from: "ninjinski"This really is a turn around of opinion. I've only ever driven a 2 with these tyres once and hated them - That was on Silverstone Performance's TTET. I could never understand how anyone thought they were a credible tyre.

I'm running the Advan Neovas (same tyre that come on the elise) and wont be changing away from them any time soon - Great tyre if anyone is looking to move away from the stock options.

Not a turn of opinion for me  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Neovas will be my next tyres once the T1-Rs die although they might not be given that chance.

Chris_h

i am thinking of giving these Falken things a try out next. Same price as Proxes (cheap) and seem to be having decent reviews.

freak_in_cage

Quote from: "Chris_h"i am thinking of giving these Falken things a try out next. Same price as Proxes (cheap) and seem to be having decent reviews.

if you do go for them m8 then pls write a review as they are in the same market as the proxies   s:D :D s:D

andywood

Quote from: "Chris_h"i am thinking of giving these Falken things a try out next. Same price as Proxes (cheap) and seem to be having decent reviews.

I recently got a full set of Toyo's from Mytyres.

Was struggling to choose between the Falken ZE512 or Toyo T1-R.

After having definitely scrubbed in the Toyo's fully and having played around with the pressures, I wish i had gone for the Falkens.

Had the stock Yoko's on before and they were in a different league to the Toyo's. All the comments in the thread above sing true, you can literally feel the tail wobbling around as the sidewalls on the Toyos decide what they are doing way before you even reach the limit - not nice   s:? :? s:?
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

Chris_h

Andy,

We should start the 'save the A043 campaign'! everyone else seems to hate them. Unfortunately they no longer make them, so I have been told.

I see the virtues in the Toyos, just think the A043 / RE040 maybe suit my car, my roads and my driving a bit better. But some people clearly prefer the Toyos, its a very personal and subjective thing.

I am undecided, but I certainly think the Toyos are OK - and great VFM.

andywood

Like most things in life, like you say it is personal preference and very subjective.

For an all-round year-round tyre maybe the Toyos are best, for me only using mine in the dry for a good blat they just aren't the best choice. At least I tried them and formed my opinion, now just need to see how quickly I can create a need for a new set (different brand!)  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Using 26/36 when flying up & down the Cat & Fiddle i was managing four wheel drifting very nicely  s8) 8) s8)

Having put Proxies on mine about 1200 miles ago I've been less than impressed. I tried the higher pressures when I first got them and it was like driving on marbles. After reading this thread I put them back to 26/36 this weekend and I can't believe the difference, much more stable in the corners. I'll throw them at my favourite motorway slip road tonight and see how they cope at high speed.

Tags: