Help - Toyo Proxes T1-R pressures

Started by Anonymous, June 6, 2007, 20:48

Anonymous

Quote from: "Moleshome"
Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Using 26/36 when flying up & down the Cat & Fiddle i was managing four wheel drifting very nicely  s8) 8) s8)

Having put Proxies on mine about 1200 miles ago I've been less than impressed. I tried the higher pressures when I first got them and it was like driving on marbles. After reading this thread I put them back to 26/36 this weekend and I can't believe the difference, much more stable in the corners. I'll throw them at my favourite motorway slip road tonight and see how they cope at high speed.

I notice you have a hardtop[off]....  Was the difference pre & post hardtop fitted by chance? Once you put the HT back-on come autumn the Toyos will really struggle to handle the extra weight.....I experienced brand new Toyos at factory pressures with the hardtop on.  This was just plain dangerous  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  .  If my 2 survives the birth of my second child in the autumn these tyres are deffinately coming off.

Chris_h

Are you sure it was the extra weight?

I'd have thought the extra stiffness from the hardtop would improve things - or highlight a weakness elsewhere....
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris_h"Are you sure it was the extra weight?

I'd have thought the extra stiffness from the hardtop would improve things - or highlight a weakness elsewhere....

Yep I'm pretty sure.... the difference was noticeable.  The "top-heavy"weight increased body roll due to the soft sidewalls.  In-fact the flex in the chassis taken out by the HT probably imparted itself on the tyre wall.

My post on the tyres review is a clearer recollection at the time.

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3313&highlight=

I've got my old set of alloy & RE040s in the garage.  The stock ones are much squarer & lots lots firmer.... hmmm I could even loan an inclinometer and quatify the difference between stock RE040s & Toyos.... but I think that would be going a little too far.

Silverman

Very happy, wet or dry, at present with Yoko's at stock F26 and R32.
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

Wabbitkilla

That's something I hadn't thought of. I have a breastplate on and these things grip like bu**ery! so it's not a chassis stiffness issue. but I would say if you have them on, then try the hardtop in place and see what you think.

I have few issues with these tyres and they're lasting well. just ask Spit what i'm like in the corners.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

aaronjb

I've driven with the hard top on & off with Toyos and honestly can't say I noticed a difference, even when pushing it - in fact, the HT on was better (thanks to the added stiffness).

Certainly not 'dangerous'  s:? :? s:?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

mrsmr2

Agree with Aaron.

I've driven mine on road and track with hard top both on and off.  To me, the hardtop doesn't make much of a difference to the centre of gravity, but, it does make a large difference to what you can feel in the car, and the way the car behaves.

The hardtop removes a huge amount of the slop that the car has with the roof down, and sigfinicantly improves on it compared to having the roof up.

I noticed the same on the RE040s.

In fact the hardtop can make the car more clinical as the rear end feels more tied down.  I put it down to the chassis flexing more when the hardtop is off and creating an exaggerated lift off oversteer as the flex adds to the weight transfer.  That's my theory anyway.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

spit

And a different perspective from me just to confuse the mix:

I've been running F1s at or around 25f/30r for four years and they've been excellent. Adding the hardtop had always improved things ... but last week I tried it and the handling got worse - that's a first!

The only obvious changes since the last time the HT was on are springs and damping. So I'd conclude that its not all about the tyres, but thats as far as my brain is able to take it.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Moleshome"I'll throw them at my favourite motorway slip road tonight and see how they cope at high speed.

Well M3 J4A southbound negotiated successfuly, gentle slide all the way and they even coped with me having to brake mid-corner.

In reply to ShaunyF I've not had the hardtop on since the Toyos were fitted but I'd be extremely surprised if the handling were worse with it on.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Moleshome"In reply to ShaunyF I've not had the hardtop on since the Toyos were fitted but I'd be extremely surprised if the handling were worse with it on.

Maybe it was just a timing thing i.e. hardtop was on, then off, at the time of the chanage of the tyres & through the dreadfull Tr-1s run-in period.

Having said that it does seem logical to me that an increase in mass moving around on top of the softer walls at standard pressures (as-per a metronome) could indeed make a difference.  E.g. apply increased pressure to the top of a cream & jam filled scone and the yummy bits in the middle squidge out  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I definately agree the HT stiffens thing up nicely.  s:D :D s:D

Chris_h

A thumbs up from me for Wabbitkillas settings. 26/36 - that is a massive pressure difference - very hard rears. I changed from 27/33 last night.. I quite liked this setting, it was very chuckable and it allowed the wideboy driving technique of chucking it in with a tad too much lock and balancing a nice wee slide. Or alternatively, going in to fast, sharply lifting off to induce a wee bit of oversteer - good hot hatchesque fun.

But I must say, with the front much softer than the rear, it is much more neutrally balanced and will def be faster up the C&F and on track. Had a nice blat last night and look forward to N Wales.

Cheers Nik! I'm gonna catch you! unless its wet on Saturday    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

Another thumbs up from me. Although perhaps it should be a thumbs down since I don't think they'll last very long, I can't stop sliding it at every opportunity now.

Anonymous

Tried Wabbitkillas settings at 26/36 and a definite improvement over 28/36.  The tyres have now done 350 miles so that has helped.  I'm trying to get my head round the dynamics of what's going on with the softer front end and how that affects the flexing of the rears.  May be someone has the answer?

Tags: