Another tyre question

Started by Anonymous, November 28, 2003, 16:35

Anonymous

Replaced the front two with BF Goodrich awhile ago (used to be stock Potenzas) and now the rears need replacing.

Currently they still have stock Potenzas but I'm thinking of changing to a different tyre.

Should I:

a) change to BF Goodrich to have the same tyre all around
b) stick some Toyo Proxes on the rear now and replace the front two with the same when they need replacing.

The car is 2000 if that helps. Ta  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "jag"a) change to BF Goodrich to have the same tyre all around

THIS!!!!!!

I was shot down in flames when i asked about mixing tyres.... its a big no no... surprised you aint spun the car already from what the others have said here about mixing tyres!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

I've always liked having all four the same.

Slacey

I'm with the others, I would definately at least have the same brand all round.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "jag"a) change to BF Goodrich to have the same tyre all around

THIS!!!!!!

I was shot down in flames when i asked about mixing tyres.... its a big no no... surprised you aint spun the car already from what the others have said here about mixing tyres!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Ummmmm, well I did post that I crashed it already  s:( :( s:(  And yes the tyres were mixed   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Ok, guess I'll stick to the BF Goodrich then. Cheers all.

Anonymous

Quote from: "jag"Ummmmm, well I did post that I crashed it already  s:( :( s:(  And yes the tyres were mixed   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Ok, guess I'll stick to the BF Goodrich then. Cheers all.

oh sorry, i thought you might have posted something but could not remember... that might have been part of the problem then.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Tem

Quote from: "jag"the tyres were mixed

It's pretty easy to imagine what mixing causes.

A tyre has certain grip on dry and another certain grip on wet. A tyre also has certain grip on same surface on different outdoor/surface temps. And a tyre also snaps loose in a certain way on dry and in another way in wet. All those charasteristics change when you start driving and the tyre starts to warm up. They will also change by time when the tyre wears. Even age affects the rubber compound. The list goes on and on...

Now if you take two different tyres, they might work just fine together on dry tarmac when they are new, tempting you to do loooong 4-wheel slides. But the first time you hit a puddle, you might find out that the rear snapped loose before you had time to even realize it. Or when you push the car with cold tyres, just to notice that the front didn't grip at all on the corner you just drove straight.

If you mix, take it careful. It's ok to drive to grocery store, but that's about it  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

Quote from: "jag"Ok, guess I'll stick to the BF Goodrich then. Cheers all.

While I agree wholeheartedly about the dangers of mixing tyres, I also feel I have to point out the BF goodrich tyres are sh*te.

In a fit of trying to save a bit of money I had them fitted to my Peugeot 106, and now I can no longer enjoy its legendary, grin enducing, arse-out handling, and given even a hint of rain, I'd have more grip on slicks. They have ruined the handling of a brilliant little car, and more to the point, made it a danger to me and every other poor sod on the road every time it rains.

Total Crap, I shudder to think how bad they'd be if I put them on my MR2...  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

PS, For sale. One set of slightly worn BF Goodrich tyres, suit 1.6 Peugeot 106. Genuine reason for sale...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Didn't think they were that bad. I was debating whether to get a whole new set of toyo's and may still do if the price is right.

Tags: