Question for those running an oil filter sandwich plate..

Started by aaronjb, June 20, 2007, 11:52

aaronjb

Specifically - for people running the sandwich plate who also have the stock Euro cooler-sandwich plate (or warmer, depending how you look at it)..

How much clearance is there before the oil filter becomes the lowest point on the car?

I was pondering adding a Mocal sandwich plate to add a thermostatic oil-cooler, a la AuburnSpyder's GB on SpyderChat (although I might just make the bits up - seeing as Mocal are all of 10 miles from me) - but when I go turbo there'll also be another sandwich plate for the turbo feed and sensors, and I'm wondering if I'll then end up ripping the oil filter off on the first big hump I go over  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

I shouldn't be answering this as i don't have one  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

But this pic should help.....

Add on about 4cm for the cooler and a couple for the sandwich plate and you're still well protected by the petrol tank, bulkhead and sump.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

aaronjb

Thanks Ste - that's absolutely perfect  s:) :) s:)

Looks like there's plenty of room for sandwich plates there  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Wabbitkilla

Yeah, if you go for turbo feed sandwich plate, cooler sandwich plate, and oil temp sandwich plate you could end up with more lenght in those than the filter itself!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I've been thinking about this too - thanks for the good photo Ste.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

spit

Of course you also have the option of running both oil temp and turbo feed off the one plate, or using a T-piece into the pressure switch just above.

And if you're adding a thermostatic cooler its questionable what mileage you'll gain by leaving the stock EU piece in place...but you'll need a new oil pickup core if you remove it - the cooler has its own insulated core (& Nic has pics of that I believe  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ).

Which reminds me - Kris - I think I still have your cooler!!

Wabbitkilla

Yeah - if you want i'll post them up when i get home.

For me, a single sandwich plate that gives me a turbo feed and the option of a temp sensor is all i would require. The oil cooler seems like a good idea, and that kit i've seen on SC looks the business, but is it really necesary?

The current post-03 "oil conditioner" seems to do a couple of jobs, it warms the oil when cold and cools the oil when hot. So it's neither one nor the other - or - it is both one and the other  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Too many sandwich plates is heading for trouble imho, as you're adding more gaskets and faces creating pore points of possible failure AND you're adding more weight to a small stress point of the oil filter-pump threads AND a more convoluted oil journey through the filter.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

aaronjb

Yeah - I'd definitely run a plate that supported enough outputs for both the turbo feed and a temp/pressure sensor  s;) ;) s;)  But it would end up with:

Filter output
    |
    v
Oil cooler/warmer
    |
    v
Oil cooler (external)
    |
    v
Turbo feed/sensor
    |
    v
Filter

Which is two extra sandwich plates..

I did consider ditching the stock oil warmer/cooler - it's warming capacity might not be needed with a turbo there to pump heat into the oil, and it's cooling capacity is arguable (it doesn't have a great deal of surface area to get heat from the oil into the water, really) - but that would mean looping the water pipes on the back of the block, which is tricky - if not impossible - without dropping the engine..

Wabbitkilla

You could just fit a u-bend at the bottom in place of the Toyota oil "thingy" and tie it out of the way. I think i'd add a single sandwich plate and have it machined with the off-takes i need.

SteveJ

I'm just using the Greddy sandwich plate (3 outputs) for turbo feed, oil pressure and oil temp. The stock oil conditioner has been dropped (due to the water return not being available in the head of the engine I have put in).

Sustained motorway driving only sees oil temps of 95C, and normal around town is well below 90C. The only snag is the oil temp takes ages to come up (typically 10 minutes of normal driving)

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"I was pondering adding a Mocal sandwich plate to add a thermostatic oil-cooler, a la AuburnSpyder's GB on SpyderChat (although I might just make the bits up - seeing as Mocal are all of 10 miles from me) - but when I go turbo there'll also be another sandwich plate for the turbo feed and sensors, and I'm wondering if I'll then end up ripping the oil filter off on the first big hump I go over  s;) ;) s;)

Some guys are already running the euro cooler, additional cooler and 3rd plate for sensors/oilfeed. It's fine with the stock sized filter.  s8) 8) s8)

Btw, you CAN get thermostatic oil cooler plates with turbo feeds and two places for gauges too. But there's really no need, unless you're running a larger filter.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

aaronjb

Yeah - I imagine Mocal could get just about anything made up  s:) :) s:)  Hmm.. do I go for that kit, I wonder  s:) :) s:)

So much temptation..

spit

[devil's advocate] ... do you think its really necessary? I'm sure it makes a difference to the oil temps (otherwise its a bit of a waste of money!), but we've got a few FIs in the Club running the engine close to its safe limits for 10s of thousands of miles and no related issues.

*  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  lights blue touch paper  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  *

kanujunkie

Quote from: "aaronjb"Yeah - I imagine Mocal could get just about anything made up  s:) :) s:)  Hmm.. do I go for that kit, I wonder  s:) :) s:)

you do know that mocals stuff is made about 10 miles away from your place Aaron?

m http://www.thinkauto.com/ m

[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

Yep I know - that's why I don't really want to go for the kit over on SC.. On the other hand, the kit comes with nicely made oil hoses and a mounting plate - which is why it's tempting (I'm lazy - you already know that  s;) ;) s;) )

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"Mocal are all of 10 miles from me

Quote from: "kanujunkie"you do know that mocals stuff is made about 10 miles away from your place Aaron?

I think he knows.  s;) ;) s;)

Quote from: "spit"[devil's advocate] ... do you think its really necessary? I'm sure it makes a difference to the oil temps (otherwise its a bit of a waste of money!), but we've got a few FIs in the Club running the engine close to its safe limits for 10s of thousands of miles and no related issues.

*  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  lights blue touch paper  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  *

It's not really necessary, that's for sure. But seeing oil temps go beyond the gauge (150C/300F) on track within the first lap, I do want a good oil cooler myself.

Quote from: "aaronjb"Yep I know - that's why I don't really want to go for the kit over on SC.. On the other hand, the kit comes with nicely made oil hoses and a mounting plate - which is why it's tempting (I'm lazy - you already know that  s;) ;) s;) )

I've also been tempted by that, but leaning on making a set myself. If you get on with it, let us know how it goes, how much the parts are etc.  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"Which reminds me - Kris - I think I still have your cooler!!

I thought you would have had that stuffed and mounted by now bearing in mind the headscratching it caused.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"It's not really necessary, that's for sure. But seeing oil temps go beyond the gauge (150C/300F) on track within the first lap, I do want a good oil cooler myself.

That's exactly why I'd like an oil cooler  s:) :) s:)  I remembered you mentioning that in the past..  is anyone else here actually running an oil temp guage?

I'll let you know how I get on if I make a kit up myself - speaking of which, does anyone know the thread size of our oil filter connection?

spit

Quote from: "aaronjb"...speaking of which, does anyone know the thread size of our oil filter connection?

Which connection do you mean? The filter thread or the thread for the core that screws into the engine block?

aaronjb

Sorry  s:) :) s:)  I meant the thread of the bit the oil filter screws on to - which is the bit that a sandwich plate screws on to..

spit

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Too many sandwich plates is heading for trouble imho, as you're adding more gaskets and faces creating pore points of possible failure AND you're adding more weight to a small stress point of the oil filter-pump threads AND a more convoluted oil journey through the filter.

that sounds like a recipe for disaster on an engine already known to have not the best reputation with oil issues.

Tem

Quote from: "ShaneG"
Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Too many sandwich plates is heading for trouble imho, as you're adding more gaskets and faces creating pore points of possible failure AND you're adding more weight to a small stress point of the oil filter-pump threads AND a more convoluted oil journey through the filter.

that sounds like a recipe for disaster on an engine already known to have not the best reputation with oil issues.

Hmmmm...I'm not sure if all those points are valid.

There's really little difference between one plate and plenty of plates. And Toyota is confident enough to use a plate themselves.  s;) ;) s;)

Every gasket and face is a potential leak, that's true. But if you get a quality plate, they just seem to work and work and work without any issues. Like the GReddy, which actually has two gasket rings. You're more likely to leak from the single oil filter gasket than the GReddy plate. (get the cheapest eBay chinacrap and they aren't even level!)

More weight to a small stress point of the oil filter-pump threads? The amount of weight is meaningless and it's not really a weak point either. The plate has similar torque values to the wheels nuts. Which means it's bloody tight and strong. Also, you're not even close the the oil pump in that area.  s;) ;) s;)

Convoluted oil journey? Not really. The plates are basically straight through designs and don't really affect the oil at all. Unless of course you use a thermostatic model for the oil cooler or alikes. But even then, I'd claim the oil cooler is more good than bad.  s8) 8) s8)
(note! not familiar with the word convoluted, had to use google to figure it out)

All in all, I wouldn't worry about them. Just use as many as you need, but use quality pieces, not the cheapest chinacrap. The pros of stuff added with the plates easily overcome the cons of the plates.  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

You can run a single plate by getting the turbo feed off of the stock oil pressure location and tapping the sandwich plate for the pressure sensor.

Get the termperature from the pan using a welded bung or a bulkhead fitting

Tags: