Which Short shifter

Started by Anonymous, June 28, 2007, 12:27

Anonymous

I am comparing the B&M short shifter with the TRD one. I know that the B&M sits much shorter than the TRD and thats a plus for me. I know that the TRD comes with a new cage and thats a plus for me. Anyone here tried both which do you prefer and why?

Anonymous

B&M is too notchy for my taste, but is a bit cheaper. Personally I'd go for the TRD as I feel it's worth paying the extra for.

roger

I've never tried B&M, but I did have a cheapie Chinese knockoff (which I believe are not dis-similar to B&M), and I agree with Dan. Glad I changed to TRD.

BTW TRD do different versions for 5 speed and 6 speed boxes, so they must be doing something better than the "one size fits all" offering.

Also if stick length is your problem, you could always cut some off the TRD. Will lose the thread, but many aftermarket gear knobs don't need that anyway.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

markiii

Quote from: "roger"BTW TRD do different versions for 5 speed and 6 speed boxes, so they must be doing something better than the "one size fits all" offering.

thats because tehy come with teh cage, and toyota changed teh cage a little between 5 and 6 speeds

I have a B&M knock off with cage I will be selling soon if yourinterested. Just need your old one back in exchange
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

roger

Quote from: "markiii"thats because they come with the cage, and toyota changed the cage a little between 5 and 6 speeds

Does the "lean to the left" only apply to 6 speed, where the cage is different, or do 5 speed have the same problem?
Roger

markiii

on the TRD or B&M?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Liz

I want to cut mine down a bit, just take the thread off- I take it a little metal saw will do the job ok?  Slightly OT I know!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

markiii

hacksaw or dremel should be fine

if you need it rethreading shout

roger

Quote from: "markiii"on the TRD or B&M?

Chinese knock off (Ebay?). Don't know about B&M.TRD is dead straight.

Or is it something to do with a kink in the gear lever. IIRC the knock off didn't have one.
Roger

markiii

all B&M or clonbes are straight (which meansthey are offset)

all TRD retain teh factory kink so are centralised

in real terms doesn't make much difference IMHO

Anonymous

Sorry a bit off topic, but ...... How much notchier does the TRD make the gear change. Are there any further downsides to this modification?

roger

Quote from: "ianrawlins"Sorry a bit off topic, but ...... How much notchier does the TRD make the gear change. Are there any further downsides to this modification?

From my perspective the TRD is not notchier at all. Its a smaller throw (though not as small as the clones) and "clicks" into each gear nicely, wheras the clone had to be "banged" into gear. Can't find any downsides at all, except I could have saved £100 if Toyota had put it in to start with!!
Roger

chalced

I have one of the cheap ebay knockoffs and for £20 I can live with a little 'notchiness' .Actually its started to bed in a bit better now...only had it on a week. But if you want 'short' then I dont think you could get much shorter!!    s:) :) s:)   (no mention of only 4" please!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   )

Liz

Agreed - TRD not notchy at all.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

firepower

TRD..... exellent quality and feel , nice throw , easy to fit bit expensive but IMHO worth it   s:D :D s:D  something toyota should fit as standard from new
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

rtbiscuit

i find the trd is still to long a throw, i much prefer the shorter B&M and itis not noticably off centre.

also i don't haveto bang mine into place, it movesvery gracefully, just takes practice.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

Well you just missed out on my TRD shifter which I sold last week.
Was a good bit of kit.
Easy to fit and nice improvement in shiftability. Not as short as some but very direct.

Silverman

Why, on the Mk 3, post 03 box, is fifth not in line vertically with 6th?  5 to 6 is (right pressure spring assisted) no problem, but 6 to 5 is solid no, unless you feel left/up?  Or do I have an unusual box???
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

markiii

mine doesn't have that issue

Anonymous

Silverman - I think there's something wrong with your shifter. Six to fifth is straight up on mine.

roger

and mine.

But having said that, being my first 6 speed box it did take a bit of getting used to. To light on the up change and it used to flick into the central position of its own accord if I didn't do it either quite slick or apply a bit of right pressure, especially when doing a blip/double declutch type of manoeuvre.
Roger

kanujunkie

dont forget Che's short shifter, works absolutely fine
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

I like my eBay knockoff - now I'm used to it's lean to the left, and I don't find it overly notchy.

Got a set of brass shifter bushings to go on as well now, for uber notchiness  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tags: