Unichip - Are they all the same?

Started by uktotty, June 28, 2007, 17:27

uktotty

Does the term Unichip mean universal or do we need to get the MR2 Specific model?
I know there are lots of unichip posts already but I cant see this specific answer.

rtbiscuit

uni chip is a dastek product.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

carl_evs

You'll need the harness specific to the 2 ( or are the ECU plugs generic on Toyota? Correct me if am wrong).

You'll then need a map specific to the 2. You can get some pre installed which aren't too bad (thats what I have) or you can have it mapped to your specific car.
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

uktotty

So if I purchase the Dastek Unichip, all I need is the wiring harness and the map?
Any idea how much the harness and the mapping will cost?

Anonymous

Get yourself a Apexi Power FC - worth every penny, plug it straight in get it mapped, then play all you want with the Commander hand set  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

roger

You don't need the harness with the Unichip, it can be hard wired, but definitely more technical than the harness.

If you buy second hand from a 2 owner you can use their map. To map your own (from nothing or updating another one) will cost from about £150 depending where you get it done.

Millways down your way can certainly map it, they may be able to provide as well, if you don't want to wait for a 2nd hand one.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Can fully recommend Millways. really know their stuff!  s:D :D s:D

heathstimpson

Mine will be up for sale soon when the turbo goes in with the harness and two American maps so ready to go. Just waiting to here from someone else who's interested first but you could have second dibs  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

uktotty

Have seen a 2nd hand one very cheap wondered what else I needed. Might be interested in yours if it's already mapped, just bear in mind I dont have a turbo.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "uktotty"Have seen a 2nd hand one very cheap wondered what else I needed. Might be interested in yours if it's already mapped, just bear in mind I dont have a turbo.
I know I will be replacing my Unichip when I do go turbo. Normally the cheap ones don't have the harness etc   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

chalced

I'd be interested in one to if any come up for sale!!

kanujunkie

Russ, you may want to have a look into the new Flux range as well, it has more advanced tuning abilities, fraid i know little about it as the last time i looked into it, it wasn't available, but is now

m http://www.unichip.us/flux_power_display.asp m
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

uktotty

Stu that thing looks mad!
cant see one for the 2 but worth looking into a bit more as it has a PDA (more gadgets) woop!

kanujunkie

no it doesn't say about availbility but contact them and they may have a different story, i was told 2 years ago that it would be available for the roadster
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "uktotty"Does the term Unichip mean universal or do we need to get the MR2 Specific model?
I know there are lots of unichip posts already but I cant see this specific answer.
Yes, there are several different versions.
The MR2 uses the same Dastek product as other toyotas and some Fords.
IIRC, its a type "C".

Tags: