Alternative Bulbs

Started by Comer, June 11, 2003, 16:35

Comer

Not sure whether this should be under Appearance or Performance but has anyone had to or just wanted to replace their headlight bulbs with those other than stock?
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

if ya got the money (and not sure if they would work in our cars)

m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3572 m

Anonymous

I got a set of Phillips VisionPlus bulbs from http://www.powerbulbs.com and they even threw in a pair of Phillips BlueVision side light bulbs for free.

There's a noticable improvement in brightness and colour, and you don't get that crappy orange light when you're on side lights so it looks nice too.

It's as fiddly as hell to switch out the side light bulbs unless you have very small hands (it started to snow as I was doing mine which didn't help!!) but the main headlight bulbs are very easy to swap.

I'd highly recommend this combination of replacement bulbs, the '2 (pre '03 of course) takes H4 bulbs for the main headlights and W5W's for the side lights.

--H--

Anonymous

How easy is easy Hardcore ???

A step by step would be good as i would imagine you take the plastic trim away from the font ??? or am i wrong!

Anonymous

Replacing the main headlight bulbs is very easy, maybe a 10/15 minute job all in all.  You have to remove the plastic trim up front, but that's easy, just a load of plastic pop rivets or whatever you call them.

To get the headlight bulb out you just remove a piece of rubber trim that pulls straight off, flip a metal catch and out it pops.  There are exact instructions, including a diagram IIRC, in the manual.

The side lights bulbs are not too difficult just fiddly as they're below the main headlight bulbs and you have to twist the connector out to disengage it.  There's not a lot of room to maneauver in there, I don't know what's involved with getting the entire headlight unit out but if that's easy it would really make swapping out the side light bulbs a lot easier.

Of course this is for pre '03 models only as I beleive the headlight unit on post '03 cars is very different.

--H--

SteveJ

Quote from: "Hardcore"Of course this is for pre '03 models only as I beleive the headlight unit on post '03 cars is very different.

The dipped beam bulb assembly on the '03 is a Toyota specific part, as it has to sit in exactly the right place for the projector lens. I'm dreading one failing as they look bl**dy expensive

SteveJ

Anonymous

From what I hear from colleagues with projector style headlights they are very expensive.  Still I'd imagine if anything fails within the first three years they should be covered by the warranty.  Maybe it's worth checking...

--H--

Anonymous

cool thanks hard core and what bulbs are they Type i means !   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

what one's did you get ?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"what one's did you get ?
See my previous post!

--H--

Anonymous

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  opps sorry forgot about that LOL

Anonymous

Just ordered 2 sets of these they look nice and wont show orange behind the indicators and side turning lights   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Anonymous

You'll have a 'mare getting the front indicator bulbs out as they're even lower than the side lights!  The side repeaters are a piece of cake though.

--H--

Anonymous

aint the plastic in the front lights orange, not just the bulb? Im sure Adam showed me one at the Chelmsford meet as i wanted to make my front lights clear... i think the actual plastic is orange so they wont make any difference in the front.

Anonymous

Good point, just checked and your right.  They'll work for the side repeater just fine but not the fronts.  I think the rears take a different type of bulb too IIRC.

--H--

Darth Paul

***EXTREME ANAL MOD ALERT***

I've got the clear side repeaters on my '02, and hated the orange tint from the bulb. So I masked off the contacts and sprayed the bulbs silver.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   Because this dulled them somewhat when lit, I then sanded them slightly.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  So now they're mostly silver with very thin orange 'scratched' lines. Behind the repeater lenses they look silver, but are nice and bright when lit. Did this for the rears too. And it saved me a sh*t load of dosh!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

DP

Anonymous

Depends what you mean by saved a load of money really.  I reckon that doing what you have described would probably take me about an hour all in all.  Personally I value my time a lot higher than £12.50 per hour (the price of the silver bulbs) so I think I'd just buy them TBH!

--H--

Comer

Quote from: "Darth Paul"***EXTREME ANAL MOD ALERT***

I've got the clear side repeaters on my '02, and hated the orange tint from the bulb. So I masked off the contacts and sprayed the bulbs silver.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   Because this dulled them somewhat when lit, I then sanded them slightly.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  So now they're mostly silver with very thin orange 'scratched' lines. Behind the repeater lenses they look silver, but are nice and bright when lit. Did this for the rears too. And it saved me a sh*t load of dosh!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

DP

I wouldn't say that was an anal mod DP, just cheap and effective and on my list of things to do, ta.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Tem

£12.50 for a pair of bulbs?? They must be coated with real silver  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

yeah there just for teh side repetors!

they look sweet post pics soon if ya want?

Also the front indicator buld is the bigger version than the 5w5, and Hardcore you are right they are a bit of a pain to get to at the front have to have small hands or like me a pair of very long nose plyers   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

That's a mod i've been meaning to do for ages but never got round to it. Also gonna drop 80/100 bulbs in the front  s:!: :!: s:!:    All my cars have run on these for the crappy no light country roads round here.     s:? :? s:?

Tags: