Am I a victim of precat failure?? *ENGINE SWAP IN PROGRESS*

Started by Anonymous, July 4, 2007, 10:10

Anonymous

Hi there, first post, wish it was a little more cheery but there you go. Had my 2 about 6 weeks and was getting along with it fine until:

Over the weekend  started to notice a loss of power in my W reg MR2, it just goes flat in 4th/5th at around 3/4k with no acceleration after about 60/70.
Then yesterday when I was checking the oil I found there was none in there   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  so naturally i put some in before even starting it again, I hadnt checked it for a month or so but it was half full last time i looked.
I was unaware of the pre cat problems until about 5 minutes ago when i read the sticky on this forum but the symptons sound horribly similar. The engine is not knocking, although it sounds a bit rough, hard to distinguish when going along because the exhaust is on its way out as well (love how these things happen at the same time) so am i fooked? what is your advice
Oh yes also there is a light on the dash, how do you get it to output error codes, is it the same paperclip technique as the mk2's? and where is the "diagnostics box"

markiii

it sounds likely.

to pull teh codes you need a OSBII code reader. Tere is a thread where people have listed if tehy have one and where they are.

you also need to pull tehmanifold and check those precats asap
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

uktotty

Get yourself a 22mm lambda socket or 02 (oxygen) socket to check the precats.
Ebay have some, Halfords tried to sell me a spark plug spanner

Anonymous

should I drive the car any further until it is checked, i.e. is it going to get worse and worse or if i keep it topped up with oil will it be ok? this is of course assuming that it is the precat which i dont know for sure, it seemed to happen very suddenly i.e thursday morning   s:) :) s:)   thursday afternoon   s:( :( s:(

Tem

Quote from: "benji106"Over the weekend  started to notice a loss of power in my W reg MR2, it just goes flat in 4th/5th at around 3/4k with no acceleration after about 60/70.

Sounds like your main cat is blocked. I'm afraid the most likely reason is a collapsed precat.  s:? :? s:?

Might wanna take the main cat off and see if anything falls out of it. And of course check the precats too while you're at it.

No, don't drive it at all till you check them. Though it may already be too late.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Sorry Benji - sounds pretty catastrophic. Power loss, CEL and having lost your oil are never a good thing.
I wouldn't drive it any more but if you are losing oil and power then you've probably already wrecked the bores and main cat.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

same happend to me about 8weeks after buying my mr2 aswell....it was a FULL engine build to resolve the problems the bloody thing caused, scoard cyilinders damaged head seals the lot

cost me in the region of 1800 to get it fixed but that was through a friend, unlucky with this mate but you live and learn like i did.

Anonymous

The exhaust sounding like it was on the way out would have been your first warning.  Well, actually for me it was the engine light (O2 sensor)... though Mr T said it was fine on 3 separate occasions so dont expect any joy from them.

And nope, you certainly shouldn't drive it anymore (unlike a 2nd dealer that said it would be fine)!  The power loss is the sign of a big bill I'm afraid.

Nows the time to go for the 2ZZ conversion!

More needs to be done about alerting owners I feel, despite briefly flicking through this forum and even knowing JuanSolo who was the main reason I got one, I was oblivious about the precat issue until it was too late.

Anonymous

take a look at my story - one for the good guys - it may help you...

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17612 m

and this one...

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17600 m

Anonymous

Thanks for the links. Got my O2 sensor socket today and after some effing and blinding got the O2 sensors out. left hand Pre cat looks fine, but on the right...Nothing! it is pretty hard to see in there but i poked around tentatively with a screwdriver and couldnt feel anything until the bottom of the manifold   s:? :? s:?   I take it that a healthy precat would be located just beneath the O2 sensor like onthe other side?

So what do I do now? Take the manifold off, gut the remaining pre cat, replace the main cat then try my luck with mrT in the hope of an extended warranty replacement? I take it the aforementioned extended warranty wont cover a main cat anyway?

Anonymous

Do you have a full or partial toyota service history?

Anonymous

partial, about 50%

Anonymous

Get straight into Toyota, play dumb, let them find the fault then tell them you have heard Toyota no there is a problem with oval bores and are fixing them free as a goodwill gesture. Ask them to contact Toyota GB on your behalf.

Anonymous

Anonymous

are you suggesting I do this before doing anything about the pre cats?
so i take it to Toyota and just say that its burning oil, without mentioning the pre cats or anything and see how it goes. I spose ive nothing to lose, cant afford to pay the stealers to fix it tho if its not covered by extended warranty

Anonymous

are you suggesting I do this before doing anything about the pre cats?
so i take it to Toyota and just say that its burning oil, without mentioning the pre cats or anything and see how it goes. I spose ive nothing to lose, cant afford to pay the stealers to fix it tho if its not covered by extended warranty

Anonymous

Yes, tbh your engine is toast now anyway, as long as you don't have to far to drive to a dealer.

Peter Wright

Quote from: "benji106"are you suggesting I do this before doing anything about the pre cats?
so i take it to Toyota and just say that its burning oil, without mentioning the pre cats or anything and see how it goes. I spose ive nothing to lose, cant afford to pay the stealers to fix it though if its not covered by extended warranty
Dont do anything yourself as this might invalidate the warranty that might be available to you
Take the car to them and tell them the problems and say

looking quite dumb...
"it's burning too much oil - I believe there is a recognised problem with these engines..."

as another member did

and keep us informed of what happens

Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Anonymous

ok, ive phoned up the dealership, told them its burning oil and taking it there tonight, dunno when they are going to look at it but I am away until the weekend. I can do dumb, Im good at dumb.

Anonymous

[quote="benji106" I can do dumb, I'm good at dumb.[/quote]

Good, you will fit in here a treat  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "nelix"[quote="benji106" I can do dumb, I'm good at dumb.

Good, you will fit in here a treat  s:lol: :lol: s:lol: [/quote]
Where - in Scotland?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Aaaaah that explains a few things   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Good luck Benji - hope it works out
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"

Good luck Benji - hope it works out[/quote]

No Wabbit, we have a wall to keep dumb out, its why us Scots have the highest average iQs in the UK  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

aaronjb

[mod] Stay on topic, please guys. [/mod]
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

wbarrwebster

Quote from: "nelix"
Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"

Good luck Benji - hope it works out

No Wabbit, we have a wall to keep dumb out, its why us Scots have the highest average iQs in the UK  s:wink: :wink: s:wink: [/quote]

We do Nelix? Jings, wished I'd known that before, I wouldn't have mugged  the Wizard  and snatched the Diploma just as he was about to give it to the Scarecrow....think about it, think about it!
B
W. B. Webster

Liz

[MOD] Was Aarons stay on topic not specific enough?[/MOD]
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Tags: