Am I a victim of precat failure?? *ENGINE SWAP IN PROGRESS*

Started by Anonymous, July 4, 2007, 10:10

Anonymous

car is now at dealership, will keep you posted on this thread

Anonymous

Good luck.

Anonymous

Hello guys, I'm from Ireland and have just bought a 2000 MRS with 43k miles on it. I pick it up saturday. The dealer has given me a 6month engine gear box warrenty. I have to do an NCT (same as MOT) first thing but have requested that he take the pre cats out straight after this from what i have read on this site. So i guess my question is, as i will have to trust the mechanic to take out the cats so i will not know how in tact they will be and to be honest i dont know even if i was witness to the job if id no a broken cat from a good one - so question - i should be looking out for lack of acceleration and oil consumption. What are the chances of the 43k miles on the car being cat trouble free miles. Would my car pass NCT if i had pre cats removed before, ive been told that any fail relating to emmissions will not be warrenty if i remove pre cats before the test.

Anonymous

I dont believe anyone has failed an mot after removing the pre cats. You can visually inspect the top of the precats by removing the 2 02 sesors in the manifold. You will need an 02 socket for this, simply unplug the wires and remoe the sensor and shine a torch in, there are pics on here that will show you what the precats should look like undamaged, a search will find them.

markiii

Quote from: "whose-law-anyway"Hello guys, I'm from Ireland and have just bought a 2000 MRS with 43k miles on it. I pick it up saturday. The dealer has given me a 6month engine gear box warrenty. I have to do an NCT (same as MOT) first thing but have requested that he take the pre cats out straight after this from what i have read on this site. So i guess my question is, as i will have to trust the mechanic to take out the cats so i will not know how in tact they will be and to be honest i dont know even if i was witness to the job if id no a broken cat from a good one - so question - i should be looking out for lack of acceleration and oil consumption. What are the chances of the 43k miles on the car being cat trouble free miles. Would my car pass NCT if i had pre cats removed before, ive been told that any fail relating to emmissions will not be warrenty if i remove pre cats before the test.

ernie ball should be able to advise you if it will pas NCT
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Heard back from the dealership today, seem to be playing their cards very close to their chest. they said they couldnt get the fault codes for some reason and had to download something, they also said they had some technical info from toyota regarding the engine but could not divulge until the cause of the problem was discovered (the extended warantee info relating to the oil loss prehaps) I mentioned that I had taken it to a garage previously who got the O2 sensor fault code. he said ah yes I wasnt going to mention that, I was waiting for you to bring it up (wtf?) we did sort of get that code so we "got half a bite of the cherry" i believe was the term he used, but he said they had to wait for the download to get the full info. then he said "but that wouldnt explain the power loss" I asked if prehaps the exhaust was blocked this would explain both the power loss and the sensor fault and he said "yes an oil leak could be blocking the exhaust so youre not far off there"
I got off the phone feeling as if it had been some kind of riddle/test but he said they should know by monday.
wait and see i guess

Wabbitkilla

Good god - it sounds like a 1-2-1 meeting with my boss...
A complete and utter liar who I trust as far as i can throw a car!

Good luck on monday, it sounds like they'll try to scr*w you the first chance they get (just like my boss to strangely, maybe i need a new job)
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

I'm keeping my knowledge of the extended warranty up my sleeve, it did sound as if he was referring to it, but i dont want them to find a reason not to give it so I'm keeping quiet til they hopefully say if is a problem with oval pistons

Anonymous

Heard from the dealer today, They want to replace the coolant temp sensor and the O2 sensor for £340 inc labour and VAT as those are the engine fault codes it is throwing up. I told him I had heard of the extended warrantee and he said it was 7 years and if the car was registered less than 7 years ago they may be able to get it done under warrantee. I have to check, the car is a W reg, knowing my luck I will have just missed it  s:( :( s:(  the registration docs are at home, does anyone know of a website that I can check the date of registration?

EDIT: phoned up the DVLA, date of registration 19/06/2000, missed it by 3 weeks.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  
SO, having had the O2 sensors out already im tempted to replace them myself and take it back, anyone know where the engine coolant temp sensor is located?

Anonymous

don't give in too easily - you say you missed the warranty by 3 weeks! My guess is the car didn't just suddenly develop the problem after seven years was up - they know that too. So, the problem started whilst it was under warranty. In my book that means you're covered!

Good luck  s:!: :!: s:!:

Anonymous

aye ill have a go but not holding my breath. tempted to buy a new engine, my other plan is to find a deep hole crawl down it and cry, might as well leave my wallet there when im done

northernalex

If the precats are gone then replacing those sensors are goign to do nothing, just cost you money.  Play hell with them, threaten to out them on the forum, on watchdog etc... it seriously cant hurt.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

I have not yet mentioned the pre cats to them nor they to me, I'm 99% sure they are causing the problem, no precats at all under the right hand sensor that I can see, and I hardly imagine someone will have removed just one side... I didnt say anything to the dealership because i wanted them to confirm it was the engine burning the oil that was the cause, however at this point I dont think I have much to lose, I am very reluctant to spend £340+ replacing sensors when the engine is almost certainly shagged anyway. I am going to ring them back this afternoon and try and persuade them to do the work under warranty, if they wont theres no way I'm paying £2500+ for mr T to rebuild the engine when i could get a new one with 15k miles and a 6 month warranty for £980 (if you know where I'm talking about please leave one for me!)

EDIT: Phoned the dealer and told him when the car was registered, then had a moan about how there was no way they could deny me an extended warranty for a known problem over a matter of weeks, he asked about service history, I said 50% as there is one due now and that I knew of people who had the work carried out under warranty with 50% SH. he said he would put it through to Toyota and let me know, hopefully today or tommorow

Anonymous

To add insult to injury, I have just filled my parents Diesel 206 that I was borrowing while my car is in the garage with petrol. Lovely   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

SimonC_Here

Ouch, what's that going to be £150 if you didn't start the engine?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Not haveing agood time recently are you?

Simon

Anonymous

start the engine? I drove the bloody thing 5 miles. Just shoot me now.

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "benji106"start the engine? I drove the bloody thing 5 miles. Just shoot me now.

Ooops...

Simon

Anonymous

Mum: The car wont start

Me: It was running fine when I was driving

Mum: well it wont start now

Me: thats odd, i stopped down the road for petrol and it started fine

Mum: you mean diesel...

Me: oh....

wbarrwebster

It dosn't help but three of our Chargehands have put petrol in the Transits over the last year!
You ain't the first by a long stretch and you ain't gonna be the........

B

Quote from: "benji106"Mum: The car wont start

Me: It was running fine when I was driving

Mum: well it wont start now

Me: thats odd, i stopped down the road for petrol and it started fine

Mum: you mean diesel...

Me: oh....
W. B. Webster

Anonymous

Heard back from the dealers today (took their sweet time) Toyota are not going to cover it under warranty because I was just over a fortnight too late   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  apparantly if I'd taken it in a month earlier I would be laughing. not massively helpful. I am going to write to ToyotaGB, not expecting them to change their mind but nothing to lose. so my options are:
Rebuild by Toyota, £2.5 - £3k (erm.. no)
Rebuild by an independant, £??? not too sure
New 1zz FE, bout 1k for a low milage one plus labour £500?
Alternative engine 2zz GE? tempting but pricy

what do you lot reckon?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "benji106"Heard back from the dealers today (took their sweet time) Toyota are not going to cover it under warranty because I was just over a fortnight too late   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  apparantly if I'd taken it in a month earlier I would be laughing. not massively helpful. I am going to write to ToyotaGB, not expecting them to change their mind but nothing to lose. so my options are:
Rebuild by Toyota, £2.5 - £3k (erm.. no)
Rebuild by an independant, £??? not too sure
New 1zz FE, about 1k for a low milage one plus labour £500?
Alternative engine 2zz GE? tempting but pricy

what do you lot reckon?
Might as well improve to get something out of a bad situation; go 2ZZ matey  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

[noob] seriously thinking about it. How much more work is it, is it a straight swap.? will the original gearbox be ok? [/noob]

found the search button   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Take a look at this All things 2ZZ

Should provide you with some answers  s:D :D s:D

tonigmr2

That's disgusting.  You need to create some serious sh1t.  There's no way it would've begun after the warranty ended, it's just that you noticed it after the warranty ended.

Get tough!!  Threaten trading standards.  I'd create merry hell.
T
Yellow 55 with hardtop and aircon!

Peter Wright

Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Tags: