Engine dying (drinking oil), what are my options

Started by Graeme, July 8, 2007, 12:18

Graeme

After sufferring precat failiure on boxing day, my engine is now drinking about 1l of oil every 300 miles. I also keep getting the following CELS
*  P0141 - 02 heater circuit (I changed this for a generic one, but the resistance on the circuit seems too low)
*  P0136 - Now the sensor circuit is throwing up erros!
*  P0125 - Closed loop fuel control insufficient coolant temperature!?!
(I am only including the CELS in case they would change peoples opinioin on reconditioning/replaceing the engine)

Can people please give me advice on what my options are and what cost I would expect to incurr.

So far, the options I can see are:
*  Replace engine - about £2000?
*  Replace engine with a 2zz - about £4000?
*  Recondition engine - about £1500?
*  Trade in (for another 2) without telling the dealer the problem  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  - about £2000?
The first three will also need a new main cat I would assume as black clouds have been coming out of my exhaust for months now.

Do these price estimates look about right? Are there any other options? What would you guys do? (bear in mind I have about 1.7k saved at the moment)

Cheers
Graeme
2001, Black, A/C, H/Top, Leather, no precats, and a club sticker![/color]
Why did they call it a "Midship Runabout"?!?! Surely "Mid-Engine Roadster" would have sounded better.

Chris_h

Option 4 does look tempting doesn't it......
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Graeme

It sure does, especially as I've kinda lost confidence in this particular '2 now.
Why did they call it a "Midship Runabout"?!?! Surely "Mid-Engine Roadster" would have sounded better.

Chris_h

Especially as you could 'liberate' the htop and a few other bits
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

northernalex

2zz baby.. yeah!  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Graeme

yeah, but how much will that be? 4k? I seem to recall it being mentioned that somebody would source the engine & ECU, and fit it all for that much, but that is way too high for my budget. Reckon I could do it for any cheaper if I source the parts myself?

G

northernalex

engine and ecu is looking like 1500 ish.. But then there is the fitting which is about the same again from rogue? So probably out of your price range..

Failing that coming together it would be the dealership.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris_h"Option 4 does look tempting doesn't it......

Would he not notice the smoke screen?

Anonymous

toyota have just paid to replace half my engine - i had only 50% service history and it's a 2001 like yours, without precats, and was drinking/burning more oil than yours!!!!
take it to them and say you know there is a warranty extension for oval piston problem... that's what I did.  s:o :o s:o  

good luck   s:!: :!: s:!:

Chris_h

Good to hear that Gav, have they put it in yet?

What is 50% of cost from Mr T though??   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

MrT paying full cost ... about £2250  s:!: :!: s:!:

Graeme

Wow! What is this warranty extension you are talking about? Is there anything official anywhere written about it?

Anonymous

I just took my 2 into the dealership and said - looking quite dumb...

"it's burning too much oil - I believe there is a recognised problem with these engines..."

One oil consumption test (175miles to go through a dipstick in my case) later and the service controller sat me down and showed me a document pertaining to the oil burning issues with the 1ZZ-fe engines. He explained that the pistons start to go oval shaped etc etc etc. So, as Toyota have recognised a manufacturing defect they are doing half engine replacements free of charge - cheaper than rebuilding.

There was some concern in my case as I only had 50% service history over the life of the car - 6 years/39000 miles. (oh and only two of the 3 services were done by toyota, one at an independent garage, I have no service book, just a receipt and the Toyota database). Anything over 80% Service history you're definately OK - they'll pay. Or like me I had to authorize them to start the work so they could inspect the pistons and engine for excess wear and tear "Caused by lack of servicing" before the warranty department would make a decision (I'd like to have seen them try that one on me, I was actually expecting them to try and get away with a contribution towards the cost, not the full amount!) I took the gamble as I was pretty damn certain that the pistons were oval. I WON  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:  

So, despite my lack of Service History, Toyota paid for the work  s:D :D s:D    s8) 8) s8)    s:D :D s:D

Liz

Quote from: "Gav1980"I just took my 2 into the dealership and said - looking quite dumb...

"it's burning too much oil - I believe there is a recognised problem with these engines..."

One oil consumption test (175miles to go through a dipstick in my case) later and the service controller sat me down and showed me a document pertaining to the oil burning issues with the 1ZZ-fe engines. He explained that the pistons start to go oval shaped etc etc etc. So, as Toyota have recognised a manufacturing defect they are doing half engine replacements free of charge - cheaper than rebuilding.

There was some concern in my case as I only had 50% service history over the life of the car - 6 years/39000 miles. (oh and only two of the 3 services were done by toyota, one at an independent garage, I have no service book, just a receipt and the Toyota database). Anything over 80% Service history you're definately OK - they'll pay. Or like me I had to authorize them to start the work so they could inspect the pistons and engine for excess wear and tear "Caused by lack of servicing" before the warranty department would make a decision (I'd like to have seen them try that one on me, I was actually expecting them to try and get away with a contribution towards the cost, not the full amount!) I took the gamble as I was pretty damn certain that the pistons were oval. I WON  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:  

So, despite my lack of Service History, Toyota paid for the work  s:D :D s:D    s8) 8) s8)    s:D :D s:D
Nice one  s8) 8) s8)   - about time too, its only taken MrT 7 years to get their fingers out of the normal place for this!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

If they are finally admitting a problem, anyone who has paid Toyota in the past for this work should demand a refund.

Chris_h

Nel,

I think they would argue that they don't have to do this - well not out of 3 year warranty (the extra engine years are goodwill)

If all car manufacturers had to put right 'defects' for 7 years or so, 20% of the population would be Alfa Romeo mechanics.

northernalex

I wonder if there would be any way to get a statment about this from toyota uk into the public eye.  It would be fantastic but I think you'd have more luck finding hens teeth.

Its deffinatly a step in the right direction.  Ive heard of this being done in cars still within warrenty but to see something like this happen as goodwill out of 7 years would make me more likely to buy a toyota again (IF they brought one out that was actually interesting!!)
evileye_xc said:

spit

Bit of a double-edged sword Alex. Its a positive demonstration of customer care but at the same time it acknowledges that Toyota design had a flaw.

And on a selfish note for existing owners, it could have an adverse effect on s/h value.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Chris_h

It would only be raised officially if it were a safety issue. Those who have had an engine replacement out of the 3 year manufacturers warranty should be pretty thankful for the Mr T attitude.

It probably hardly a surprise that Toyota are glad to see the back of Celica / MR2. Must have cost a fortune on warranty and I imagine margins were thin in the first place.

Anonymous

If I remember correctly - they have extended the warranty for this problem so in theory it applies to everyone...

will get another look at the document tonight/tomorrow when I pick the car up and will memorise what I can - but he can't let me have a copy as he knows I use this forum - wouldn't want him to lose his job as he's one of the good guys.

As I mentioned somewhere else the Japanese in general place a lot more emphasis on customer satisfaction than other nations, I think it's very decent of Toyota to have recognised a flaw and owned up to it - there should be a lesson for other manufacturers in this. I too am no longer put off the idea of buying another Toyota.  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gav1980"I think it's very decent of Toyota to have recognised a flaw and owned up to it

Iam very pleased for you Gav, but Toyota should have owned up to this years ago, a lot of unlucky people would then not have had the woes and costs that they did because Toyota was turning a blind eye to a known problem.

Anonymous

Quote from: "nelix"
Quote from: "Gav1980"I think it's very decent of Toyota to have recognised a flaw and owned up to it

Iam very pleased for you Gav, but Toyota should have owned up to this years ago, a lot of unlucky people would then not have had the woes and costs that they did because Toyota was turning a blind eye to a known problem.

point taken!

northernalex

Quote from: "Gav1980"will get another look at the document tonight/tomorrow when I pick the car up and will memorise what I can - but he can't let me have a copy as he knows I use this forum - wouldn't want him to lose his job as he's one of the good guys.

Anyone care to lend gav a hidden camera?  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:

Anonymous

Quote from: "northernalex"Anyone care to lend gav a hidden camera?  s:) :) s:)

Sounds like espionage to me  s:!: :!: s:!:  Just call me Bond

Graeme

Quote from: "Gav1980"will get another look at the document tonight/tomorrow when I pick the car up and will memorise what I can - but he can't let me have a copy as he knows I use this forum - wouldn't want him to lose his job as he's one of the good guys.

Cheers Gav, that would be well handy. Have you picked it up yet? Does the problem seem to have been solved? Might I ask what toyota branch you went to that were this helpful? (Feel free to say no if you feel it might make it obvious who the engineer is that is helping you out) If it is near me, I may try it before going to my normal one in Basingstoke.

Tags: