one for the good guys

Started by Anonymous, July 9, 2007, 12:30

Anonymous

Hi, I shall be back on the road this week with half a new engine courtesy of MrT.

Problems In Brief: my precats failed, this was caused by excess oil burning, this was caused by oval pistons. Oil burning went up to 1.5L over 200miles.

my car is 2001, no mods (unless you include no pre-cats as a mod?), only 50% service history.

I just took it to Oakmere Toyota, Northwich. They did the compulsary  oil burning test and then the service controller pulled out a document pertaining to extended warranty on the 1zz fe - I didn't get to read it but basically it covers OVAL PISTONS!!! and they are now replacing half my engine for nothing! - verrry good of them considering the age of my car and the very limited service history  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

So, anyone BURNING OIL - take it to MrT and mention that you know about the "recognised problems"... see where it gets you  s:!: :!: s:!:

spit

Result! Nice one Gav.

I think you're the second member to refer to this MrT briefing document now. I wonder if anyone knows a friendly MrT who'd care to share it with us?

... and will the MrT repair include a new Cat?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Chris_h

Hi Gav,

Good news!

When you say 50%, do you mean they are replacing 50% of the block (i.e 50% of the engine - the dead bit) or they are contributing 50% of costs?

Either way, great news.

I am surprised they do it with incomplete SH as I imagined they would go on the 'unable to guarantee mileage' line - or maybe I am just hardended to the ways of VW and Audi and Toyota deserves more respect.
this is great news
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

uktotty

Mine was replaced under the same scheme, they have replaced the "shirt block" on my 2000 model.
Not bad for £3000 worth of free stuff!

northernalex

Quote from: "uktotty"Mine was replaced under the same scheme, they have replaced the "shirt block" on my 2000 model.
Not bad for £3000 worth of free stuff!

I think you mean the short block?

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

short block replaced, would have cost me about £2225 otherwise - will see what I can get out of the garage when I pick the car up tomorrow - will certainly be listing as much detail on here as I can get out of them.

I'm so unbelievably happy right now!!!  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Oh - and apparently the Japanese manufacturers are generally much more generous when it comes to ensuring customer satisfaction (and hence loyalty) than other certain German manufacturers mentioned... so it's well worth trying your luck with MrT  s:!: :!: s:!:

spit

Quote from: "spit"... and will the MrT repair include a new Cat?

?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

northernalex

Quote from: "spit"
Quote from: "spit"... and will the MrT repair include a new Cat?

?

Seconded!!

If you have a new short block and you still have the same cat then if its blocked up with oil and precats then the backpressure will kill your new engine!!!

MAKE SURE YOU ASK ABOUT THE CAT!!! ASK THEM TO TEST THAT ITS EITHER OK or put a new one on.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Exhaust manifold and main cat need to be replaced at the same time as the short block or the problem repeats itself.

Also, the rear suspension alignment must be checked or you'll scrub off tires FAST.

kanujunkie

i'm trying to arrange a meeting at the mo at Toyota GB HQ, i'll add this to the list of subjects, especially se if i can get a copy of that SB
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

I replaced the Main Cat about 1500 miles ago - with a 19,000 mile one off a 2004 - when it got filled up with pre-cat - had remaining pre-cats gutted at same time.

Would you say that the excess oil burning is likely to have knackered my replacement Cat within 1500miles  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:  

Hope not - I'll ask MrT though anyway seeing as they're in a generous mood at the moment!

northernalex

Quote from: "Gav1980"I replaced the Main Cat about 1500 miles ago - with a 19,000 mile one off a 2004 - when it got filled up with pre-cat - had remaining pre-cats gutted at same time.

Would you say that the excess oil burning is likely to have knackered my replacement Cat within 1500miles  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:  

Hope not - I'll ask MrT though anyway seeing as they're in a generous mood at the moment!

Its not imposible that its knackared the cat, I would ask them if there is a gas flow test they can do. Alternativley just buy a downpipe and enjoy the increased sound and peformance  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:

northernalex

Quote from: "kanujunkie"i'm trying to arrange a meeting at the mo at Toyota GB HQ, i'll add this to the list of subjects, especially se if i can get a copy of that SB

Good luck on this stu!
evileye_xc said:

kanujunkie

gotta live in hope  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  , and its not the main reason i'm going
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

just asked, they check downstream as routine part of the operation - mine's fine thankfully! He didn't mention the lack of pre-cats though  s:!: :!: s:!:  wonder if they've replaced them???  s:? :? s:?

northernalex

Quote from: "kanujunkie"gotta live in hope  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  , and its not the main reason i'm going

Its for a free toyota mug isnt it ?  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:

Anonymous

s:D :D s:D  Hooray - just going to pick my car up now!

Apparently they have actually replaced the Cat aswell as it was just starting to shows signs of going. BONUS! shame I wasted £180 on that second hand one a few months ago but never mind, I have a shiny new one now!

Will report back on everything I can find out as soon as possible...

GAV

kanujunkie

Quote from: "northernalex"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"gotta live in hope  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  , and its not the main reason i'm going

Its for a free toyota mug isnt it ?  s:) :) s:)

ok its for the free mug, ya got me  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

hi i have a 2002 mr2 and basically looks like new engine needed but does anyone know when excatly toyota made thier design changes in 2002 to retify the pre cats/ oil control rings problems?
am writing to toyota bout it and wanna have the facts. also who and where is mrt? seems he has helped others in this situation cheers

Anonymous

Mr T = Toyota themselves (dealership usually, but can refer to Toyota GB).  s;) ;) s;)

markiii

Mr T(oyota)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

ah right sorry new to all this!

so are you saying that you can take it there with this problem and they will ofter to fix it 4 cheaper if you buy extended warrenty or should you have bought warrety b4 problem shows?

markiii

you;d have to have teh warranty in place at teh time of teh problem occuring

that said £6K is ridiculous

you could have a 2zz put in for that with cash to spare
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

no not had quote on price to fix yet been told bout £2k am just considering contacting toyota on the matter?

roger

Natz, read what Gav did i.e. Go to your local Toyota garage and refer to the known piston / bore problem which you understand means they will put in a new short block.

Only if that fails do you need to push it higher to Toyota themselves.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tags: