Front Wheel Balance.....

Started by darrenjuggins, December 4, 2003, 13:49

darrenjuggins

Hi Guys/Girls,

Normally I have no problem with my little 2, but the last month has seen the front end handling get a little twitchy....

I checked the mileage and i'd done about 16,000 on the fronts, i've experienced tram lining before at this sort of mileage.....

So Went to get tyres changed to sort this, but alas at approx 70 MPH, I'm still getting some unwanted feedback and slight movement...

I watched the wheel being balanced but was slightly alarmed to see that one wheel / tyre required 15 inner / 85 outer weights, which I thought was a little high (very accurate machine).

I've previously had my wheels aligned, but didn't bother this time, has anyone else experienced this type of problem, normally the tyres and balance makes it perfect, but not this time!

Gonna speak to the tyre firm and Toyota to see whats the best option next, the car runs so nice its a shame for something like this to spoil the experience and its one of those speeds you really notice it.

any other experiences or fixes most welcomed.....

Car has now done about £52k and got a totally clean bill of health last service.

thinks it's just one of those "issues" that crops up now and again.

anyway, any advice / experiences appreciated.

Cheers

Mr J   s:D :D s:D
Darren A. Juggins

GSB

If the wheels are properly balanced, you can discount them.

However, new tyres can take a little while to wear in, so it could just be that. Given the mileage of 52K though, I would definitely reccomend a 4 wheel laser alignment check anyway, as it will transform the car.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

darrenjuggins

I think your right for £40 / £50 think it might well be worth it, had it done at 20,000 but then had a "little" cough!, cough! accident last xmas, (all put right thanks to Eagle Star!) but certainly might be worth the small outlay to put my mind at rest... plus if its a suspension problem it will be covered by the warranty  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Cheers

D
Darren A. Juggins

darrenjuggins

Just for Info.... Contacted Toyota of Lincoln (Listers) who have booked me in for Monday - full Laser Alignment and Full 4 wheel balance - (think maybe a refit of the tyre requiring the excessive weight might be an option) all for £49.99 - not bad for 1hr 30mins work....

would have even have given me a loner if I wanted it.....

Thought that was a fair price...

(apparently its about £85 normally!)

Cheers

D
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Ask them to rotate the tire on the alloy somewhat and then rebalance. This sorted out a balancing issue I had on a front tire.

http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=950&start=15

darrenjuggins

Cheers Lusaka,

Thats exactly what i intend to do, 85 seems excessive to balance the wheel, I will be present during the operation so I can make sure everything is done right.

thanks for your advice.

Cheers

D   s:D :D s:D
Darren A. Juggins

Tags: