Brakes / ABS problem

Started by Anonymous, July 19, 2007, 16:42

Anonymous

Being so soft I imagine they will wear in quicker? Any estimates of kmage before they are ready?

Anonymous

I've just driven home from work - took the long route! What a dream she is now. I cannot describe the difference.

Another thing, the tyre fitter said that people love the Toyos but some complain that after a year they loose their grip.

I think in future I will need to replace them every year - no problem, it's the best 400 Euros I have spent in along time. (I'm still planning to replace/upgrade the discs though!)

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Agni"Being so soft I imagine they will wear in quicker? Any estimates of kmage before they are ready?

Good to hear your car is back to putting a smile on your face. I have heard that the Goodyear F1s lose grip in the wet after around 5000 miles, but do not know if this applies to the dry running as well.

Re the Toyos, it seems a bit variable as to how long they take to scrub the mould release off. I have had two sets on my other car in the last 8 months and the first set were still improving up to 2400Km. The set I had fitted a couple of months ago seemed to scrub in much quicker and were good from around 200 miles. Take it easy and build up to the cornering forces gently and you should be fine. The Toyos are a very progressive tyre.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Jaik

Really glad you've got your car back to how it should be!

kanujunkie

right i tried removeing the ABS1 fuse on track on Saturday and yes it completely disarms the ABS and just throws an ABS light. As for the effect, the brakeing distance and responce is vastly improved over the braking of a 2 with the ABS firing, but it does come at a cost in the its very easy to lock the whole lot up and is unforgiving if you leave it a bit late for braking as i found out!!! (i had to limp home on a flat spotted tyre  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

so would i do it again though, definatley for track work without a doubt but as for eveyday driving, no way, apart from the insurance side its a trade off between an emergency stop with and without and i'd personally not want to blow a tyre in an emergency stop
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

ChrisGB

Quote from: "kanujunkie"right i tried removeing the ABS1 fuse on track on Saturday and yes it completely disarms the ABS and just throws an ABS light. As for the effect, the brakeing distance and responce is vastly improved over the braking of a 2 with the ABS firing, but it does come at a cost in the its very easy to lock the whole lot up and is unforgiving if you leave it a bit late for braking as i found out!!! (i had to limp home on a flat spotted tyre  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

so would i do it again though, definatley for track work without a doubt but as for eveyday driving, no way, apart from the insurance side its a trade off between an emergency stop with and without and i'd personally not want to blow a tyre in an emergency stop

Nice one Stu

I wonder if ABS can be remapped?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

kanujunkie

now theres a question, if the engine ECU is anything to go by i'd guess not but its always possible
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: