Started by SteveJ, December 8, 2003, 22:05

SteveJ

Quote from: "mph"
Quote from: "filcee"I think he did turn it off - or at least that's what I thought he said....  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Steve tends to drive with it permanently off   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  - I'm surprised he doesn't just remove the whole of his ABS assembly.. but then that's the compromise you have to make getting a new model SMT   s:? :? s:?

Quote from: "spwolf"you can not turn VSC off, even TRC will cut in at some point (if you have it at off as well)

The '03 SMT doesn't have VSC, only Traction Control, so the ABS is not involved at all - all the system does is cut the fuel when it detects an imbalance between the front and rear wheel speeds.

This can cause problems when trying to run the car on a dyno, but if you turn TC off prior to starting a run and the front wheels don't turn at all then the system seems quite happy - no beeping at all. It only seems to get upset if the car has been moving forward for any period of time before the rear wheels start to loose grip - then it takes over even if you have it switched off  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

*EDIT* OK - now I'm guilty of perpetuating topic drift - if we wish to continue this thread, I suggest a move to a more appropriate forum - Performance perhaps? Moderators - do your stuff!

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"The '03 SMT doesn't have VSC, only Traction Control, so the ABS is not involved at all - all the system does is cut the fuel when it detects an imbalance between the front and rear wheel speeds.

Now, I'm sure you're right... but I just want to double check this.  The Toyota Brochure I've got for the '03 says:

Quote"Active safety features such as Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRC) and Brake Assist (BA) are standard on the MR2 Roadster SMT"

Followed by a pretty diagram showing all three.

I'm guessing that this is marketting BS, and that they're using the mechanism you desribe to provide TC and in a roundabout sort of way VSC as well, and so they're exaggerating things and calling it VSC when in fact it's a primative version of.

filcee

The '03 manual also contains details about VSC, which apparently
Quotehelps provide integrated control of the systems such as anti-lock brake system, traction control, engine control, etc. The system automatically controls the brakes and engine to help prevent the vehicle from skidding when cornering on a slippery road surface or operating steering wheel abruptly.
Apparently it only engages at speeds above 15 km/h (9mph).  So there you go - for maximum fun in an '03 SMT, drive slowly   s:? :? s:?

Oh, and no mention of an 'off' button, unlike the pages about the traction control system.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

dreambackup

There is, actually, a TRC OFF button on a 2003 SMT... but it must re-engage by itself with speed (above 70 km/h I've been told).

I think there is no info made available by Toyota about this... just like there is nothing I could find about the SMT...
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

filcee

Yes, there is an off button for traction control.  There isn't an off button for VSC.  It looks like the VSC will always step in when it decides you ran out of talent - including re-activating the traction control if required.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Anonymous

Well thats a bit crap then!

dreambackup

I'm pretty sure there is a fuse in one of the 100 fuse boxes spread across our car to manage the TRC and VSC...

If anyone has an idea...
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

filcee

Quote from: "cstevens"Well thats a bit crap then!

Yep.

My primary concern when swapping my '01 SMT for the '03 was how intrusive this would be.  In truth, for my driving, it doesn't feel any different.  I rarely got out of shape in the '01 (no traction control), and the same is true for the '03 (with TC permanently on).  I do still feel the back of the car contributing to the direction of travel though (BTW, this doesn't mean I am a good driver.  It probably does mean I don't push the car that hard, at all, ever).

Judging by SteveJ's antics at the meet last Sunday, I would be well beyond my current comfort zone if the VSC decided to override a switched off traction control.  To be honest, I am very happy with my car, and wouldn't swap it for anything (well, perhaps a Zonda or an Enzo, at a push   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ).  If anything, it's my driving that needs to improve.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

mph

Quote from: "filcee"If anything, it's my driving that needs to improve.
Cue North Weald day  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

filcee

Which is No. 2 on the list after DIG insurance.  (I figure that if I stuff it, it's better for someone else to pay - in the short term at least  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

aaronjb

Quote from: "filcee"DIG insurance

Driving In Graveltraps?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

filcee

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "filcee"DIG insurance

Driving In Graveltraps?

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Nice!  s8) 8) s8)    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Probably accurate   s:) :) s:) , but really it means Dorset Insurance Group, the MR2DC (Driver's Club) insurers who will provide track day cover as part of your policy (or so I understand)
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

mph

There's no fear of "stuffing it" at North Weald as it's a completely open environment. So no excuses that you have to change insurance first!

/Martin (whom should be on commission but isn't)
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Slacey

Quote from: "mph"There's no fear of "stuffing it" at North Weald as it's a completely open environment.
Unless you decide to go sideways across the drain   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

mph

But the 'drain' is now filled in, so while it is a surface change I no longer see it as the issue it once was.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Slacey

Quote from: "mph"But the 'drain' is now filled in, so while it is a surface change I no longer see it as the issue it once was.
Oh no it's not, not completely anyway  s:? :? s:?  

Trust me, I know!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tags: