1zz turbo 1.81L GTK450 updated 19/02/12 pg5

Started by MR2 super GT, August 13, 2007, 21:22

Ilogik

Torque one is a bit strange, I got 230 on mine. If it feels quick mate who cares  s:) :) s:)
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

custardavenger

Can't see on the print out whether that's flywheel or wheel HP?

Also where is the trim for the fuel cap or doesn't that kit come with it?

Other than that looking good mate. Hope to see it in the metal some time.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

muffdan

The graph shows at the wheel, as there's a quote for 293bhp too, which is about right for at the fly.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

MR2 super GT

If I compare the Power graph to the MWR graphs the difference is a significant. I am assuming the MWR is WHP.
I just feel the engine has a lot more to give and it has also inherited the characteristics of a Honda engine   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  ... a low torque:HP ratio

when I\'m not in traction, I\'m in action

aaronjb

The torque seems to be doing something pretty odd between 3-4000rpm there.. do you have access to the maps at all? I'd be interested to see the timing map & VVT map - and a dyno plot with AFR against it, too.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Ilogik

Yanks always seem to get huge figures   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Werent phillster running similar set up to you along with Jason? Also all dynos are different as people say.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

muffdan

In terms of the engine alone, expect the OP has a similar build to myself and Phil's. Taking into account the choice of turbo and the fact custom inlet/charge cooling/exhaust/ECU differences we're all going to have, the dyno plots are going to be very different.

@OP: Forgive me if you've already posted this, but what ECU solution are you using?
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

MR2 super GT

I didn't put my torque onto the Monkey Wrench graph as it doesn't even make it onto the scale. the blue line is not mine.
Im running a DTA S60 ecu with a GT30 core turbo.

and the fuel cap is not on yet as car not been painted.

muffdan

What modifications are you running to the fueling? Injector size, FPR, high volume pump etc? As Aaron says, seeing the map would be good or a plot of the AFR.
Jason

MR2 super GT

its been that long ago I cant remember exactly. i think it was 630cc injectors, 255lph fuel pump with return line and stage 2 cams.
I don't have access to the maps or AFR   s:? :? s:?

aaronjb

Sorry, I meant the torque curve in your graph, not the MWR ones immediately above my post.

You have a very strange flat spot in your torque at 3-4000rpm and then it takes off like a rocket. I'm wondering if the VVT map needs adjusting, maybe there's too much overlap in that area (although you don't seem to be blowing boost out of the exhaust, because the boost builds very smoothly on your boost curve.)

Where did you get it mapped that didn't give you an AFR plot, though?   s:? :? s:?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

MR2 super GT

I only picked the car up after all the work was carried out, I only had a dyno print out given to me. I was over at Triple H in Irvine.

It was my mechanics mapper of choice as he had done integra type Rs with good results. its just too expensive to get boats and other travel arrangements from across the water. I will try and find a DTA mapper in Northern Ireland for any future work.

Just tonight I had some bother with cooling!! I thought the head gasket had gone again... temp was at 120c.

no air in the system. just doesnt seem to be putting water through to the radiator. the heater was blowing cold air but it had liquid in the system and also liquid in the radiator.
then out of no where the heat would start working and temps dropped to 85c.  i think i got lucky, the water system isnt getting pressurised like it would when the head gasket goes.

do you think i need to replace the thermostat?

aaronjb

That sounds like an air bubble somewhere to me - that's what happened to me (just the once) after I refilled the system.. The very first time I got stuck in bad traffic the temp shot up for a little while and heater stopped putting out hot air.  Five minutes later it went back to normal and it's been fine ever since (presumably whatever bubble was loitering in the system shot round to the header tank where it's meant to be)..

MR2 super GT

if it wasn't cooling efficiently enough the heaters would still work all the time and not intermittently as they are now. So i think that rules out the need to an aux water pump etc.

I wish it was just an air bubble...  how likely is it for a thermostat to be sticking?

E

It still sounds like an air bubble to me, at the time when the heater wasnt working the bubble would have been in such a position as to stop the water flowing through the heater matrix leaving the water that was trapped in there to go cold and so the heaters would blow cold even though the rest of the system was overheating, as Aaron said hopefully the bubble has now moved to the header tank and all will be well just keep your eye on it.

MR2 super GT

I was out today again and its just unpredictable, heats up then heaters get cold, then heaters come on.
If I accelerate hard and go up through the gears it overheats . if I put it into 5th an sit at 2000rpm it doesn't seem to cool down. if I go into 4th and sit with the revs a bit higher it can then sometimes start to cool the water but not always.

Just too many variables to pin point the problem on just one is tough.

E

Have you read this mate because it really does sound like an air lock and with the radiator in the font and the engine in the back there is a lot of pipework for the bubble to work its way through.
 l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=20138&view=unread#unread l

MR2 super GT

Thanks E, I will probably get the system bled again.

another think that might be worth me check is the aux belt slipping on the water pump pulley. I emptied my oil catch tank the other day and it didnt go too smoothly. some gunge went down the belt side of the engine.

it all started after that... before I had emptied it, i drove the whole way from Irvine to belfast after getting it mapped with no problems what so ever.

so does that sound like a viable diagonis given the symptoms Im having? would a water pump slipping cause the heaters to blow hot and cold irregularly?

ChrisGB

A slipping belt could cause the problem, but a big air bubble can do it too. If the bubble is big enough it can cause the water pump to stop working, cause knock and if big enough it can empty yhe header tank and get sucked back into the engine. If the bubble gets into the head, it can allow temporary overheating. When the coolant returns to the head it can boil, pressurise the system and force coolant out of the header tank. Do you get knock when it is showing high temperature?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

MR2 super GT

well when temps get high I usually cruise in 5th gear or shut down on hard shoulder for a few min. don't remember feeling any knock.

The radiator was changed when I got the block re bored over 1000mile ago. would an air bubble really take that long to cause problems?

I haven't looked at belts yet but the oil catch tank spillage wouldn't really have been near enough to get on the belts so not sure that's going to be my problem solved.

What are the chances of a TRD thermostat failing after 3000 miles?

DannyN

Water pump ??
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

MR2 super GT

its the 2zz unit... have people had problem with that in the past?

MR2 super GT

Have removed the thermostat (TRD) and car is cooling properly now. Radiator warm at both sides.

Before it was cold on the driver side. Dont think ive warpped the head by having it at 120c as the water system would be boiling straight away when I start the engine.

muffdan

fingers crossed it's ok. Glad you fixed the problem.
Jason

MR2 super GT

thanks muffdan. I hope so.

just couldnt get my head round the fact the TRD unit caused the problems and only after being in the car for a few thousand miles. must have been some build up of fine dirt causing it to stick. Anti Freeze has a sweet taste to it if anyone was interested.

Tags: