1zz turbo 1.81L GTK450 updated 19/02/12 pg5

Started by MR2 super GT, August 13, 2007, 21:22

aaronjb

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  It's also.. y'know.. highly toxic  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

(Just ask the poor mouse we found in Mark's pit one morning..)

Anyway, glad you got it sorted  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

MR2 super GT

I didn't swallow.  what I did was remove thermostat pipe, undo bolts, remove the stat.
Tested it in cup of boiling water, very slow to open and didn't look like it was opening all the way. tried it again and it didn't look like moving at all.

connected everything back up, opened heater bleed valve and radiator bleed valve and started topping up reservoir. started engine and closed valves. repeated until it was flowing coolant. massaged the pipes etc.

Thermostat pipe was warm which it hadn't been before. took car for a spin and the difference is major   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

it was a cold damp night so cooling would be bit more efficient than on a hot day but the temp actually drops if I put it into 5th and cruise.   s:) :) s:)
when I\'m not in traction, I\'m in action

aaronjb

Quote from: "MR2 super GT"I didn't swallow.

That's what she said.

Sorry I couldn't resist..

So are you running with no thermostat now?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

MR2 super GT

I knew someone had to pick up on that lol. That is right Aaron I'm running with no thermostat now.

Tem

Quote from: "MR2 super GT"I'm running with no thermostat now.

Be careful.

Thermostats are like they are, cause they are designed to create some resistance, which in turn will slow the coolant and create higher pressure between the water pump and the thermostat, which in turn will raise the boiling point, which in turn is pretty important inside the channels in engine. You often lose cooling capacity when you remove the thermostat and tend to lose power as well, or even cause knock. It's not uncommon to overheat the engine by removing the thermostat, while the temp gauge reads normal.  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

ChrisGB

And you can end up with cavitation around the water pump vanes which will erode them quite quickly at high RPM.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

MR2 super GT

I will keep an eye on it. if I need to up the pressure I will swap to an electric pump or ad a booster.

How could it overheat if the temperature gauge reads normal? I have my sensor on the head coolant pipe.

Tem

Quote from: "MR2 super GT"How could it overheat if the temperature gauge reads normal? I have my sensor on the head coolant pipe.

You sort of answered yourself already. Because the gauge only reads coolant temperature and doesn't know a thing about engine temperature. It's actually a very bad way to measure engine temps, but it's a cheap and ok average indicator for stock systems. Kinda like you tried to measure your body temperature by measuring the water temp on the floor when you take a shower.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

If we go into details, the lower pressure causes coolant to boil longer at hot engine spots. When that happens, you get air pockets between the hot engine parts and coolant and because air is pretty good insulator for temps, the heat stays in the engine and doesn't get into coolant. The engine stays hot, coolant doesn't get heat and the gauge is happy. Those hot spots often tend to cause knock.

Just be careful with it.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

ChrisGB

The backs of the quench zones are classic boil up spots!

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

MR2 super GT

If a restriction was put on the coolant pipe just after thermostat housing that was equal to having an open thermostat that would work right?

Just take a little longer to warm up from cold start as no thermostat present. Currently the cars temp shoots up when I get over 4000 rpm, that's due to water pump cavitation right?

ChrisGB

The key thing here is getting the temperature right. The amount of flow will need to be different for every running condition, so it is not really a good idea to run without a thermostat.

If you have forged pistons, good temperature control becomes even more critical as the temperature differences in the block can lead to poor piston fit and forged pistons suffer more than cast for this.

4000rpm sounds a bit slow for cavitation, but if the coolant is never getting warm enough to pressurise, it could be a problem. Are you sure you have got all the air out of the system?

I would advise getting a stock stat in there asap myself as running an engine with big temperature fluctuations cannot be doing it any good. The dash temp guage is pretty crude and if it is shooting up, I would worry about just how hot the engine block and head are getting.

Chris

philster_d

You are not the only one, I was expecting much more from the newly overbored and built engine as well. In fact when i picked it it seemed to have lost a little power from before.

MR2 super GT

wow has it been that long. thats depressing  s:-( :-( s:-(

over a year to get the new engine built...
a used block from MWR using the 79.5mm pistons this time and opting not to go with the darton sleeves.

main differences on this build:
GTK450 Turbonetics turbo
TIAL wastegate
cylinder head ported and polished with larger valves
removal of VVTI and installation of a custom made adjustable pulley in the intake cam (pic below)
(edit - the overheating was the headgasket, possibly due to 3 things, stuck thermostat, cylinder sway or insufficient clamp load on the head)

MR2 super GT

progress is slow as molasses
New turbo and wastegate finally all installed

hope to be up and running the engine in by 11th December...

chopper

Dude i'm in Dublin and when shes done i love to come and take a look so keep me posted if shes running

MR2 super GT

Just running the engine in on mineral oil for 2000miles.

here are some pics of the new seats and setup   s:) :) s:)  

Running Toyo 888s now

Sparco Evo Carbon in red

MR2 super GT

Tial V44 wastegate

Larger intake piping than the last build due to bigger turbo. Pipe work goes into a BCM O.T.A. (oval trupet airbox) which is connected to a NACA duct on the rear 1/4 panel

MR2 super GT

Just a wee bit if work recently as I got round to fixing the panel gap between bumper and bonnet then got them properly painted. Rest of the bodywork is still just the gel coat from when the kit came out of the factory. Here are some pics from trip to Crail last month for a bit of drag racing. 4 of us drove over from Belfast

After months of putting other things higher on the priority list I finally got some carbon sheets at £60 a pop.
After 2 year I finally covered the eyesores that were my bare doors
Before:

After:

Stifler

Could I ask what the name of the steering wheel is and where you got it?  I'm after something smaller than stock and more like my Elise's wheel.

Cheers  s:) :) s:)

tomaky

Ooosh
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

MR2 super GT

Hi stifler

It's a sparco 300
Demon Tweeks

Stifler

Much obliged - thank you  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Question for you. Why go from 1.96 to 1.8??

MR2 super GT

Had to.
1.96 blew head gasket possibly due to insufficient torque on the head bolts.

The block had been bored out to its limit so had to build a new one. Decided not to put the Darton sleeves in with this build

Anonymous

What turbo pressures were you running at the time and power output.

Tags: