1zz turbo 1.81L GTK450 updated 19/02/12 pg5

Started by MR2 super GT, August 13, 2007, 21:22

MR2 super GT

The front on picture of the car gives a hint at what im doing, there is a little charge cooler radiator who has found his home behind the front bumper.

I wont lie, its costing me a bomb, spiraling way past what I had budgeted   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  Ive had to end up being an ebay slag and selling all my un needed earthly possesions to fit the bill.  

Ive also had to spunk the money I had set aside to paint the whole thing! but I will be satisfied to drive around with a white car for a bit, people would be none the wiser that its actually ment to be black.

as for the bumpers, were you looking for facelift ones? cus im a 2002 so they are old style.
when I\'m not in traction, I\'m in action

custardavenger

Nah I'm old school too. Mine is also black but even if you gave me yours the cost of getting them back would be more than the cost of respraying mine. I had this trouble when I came over to buy the supercharger. So have you bought the actual charge cooler yet? when you've turned the turbo around that's gonna make a lovely short inlet.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

kanujunkie

so the turbo looks like its stepped back quite a bit, does it sit behind the cross beam where the stock exhaust is or in front of it? or are you chopping that cross beam(the one with the lock on it) out all together or moving it?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

edward.carter

Looks very nice!! Do love 'em in white!!  s:) :) s:)

s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

custardavenger

Quote from: "kanujunkie"so the turbo looks like its stepped back quite a bit, does it sit behind the cross beam where the stock exhaust is or in front of it? or are you chopping that cross beam(the one with the lock on it) out all together or moving it?

Read the thread stu. Your one question behind me.
Project Custard Clicky

MR2 super GT

Yes everything is purchased, just needing it all plumbed up

And yeah the inlet will be nice and short, something like Aaron's. I seen his set up its a very nice short inlet.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "custardavenger"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"so the turbo looks like its stepped back quite a bit, does it sit behind the cross beam where the stock exhaust is or in front of it? or are you chopping that cross beam(the one with the lock on it) out all together or moving it?

Read the thread stu. Your one question behind me.

noticed after, sorry Rob.

btw, isn't there going to be some serious lag issues with the length of the manifold??????
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

MR2 super GT

Im not entirely sure if the lenght will affect lag. what i do know is that the design of the manifold is worth 15hp alone,

the gases flow down and then because the turbo is top mounted, the hot air rises up and sucks the exhaust gases up into the turbo makeing more power than say a log style manifold or bottom mount turbo.

Ilogik

i love your car! How much was the kit and what wheels you running mate.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

muffdan

Quote from: "MR2 super GT"I'm not entirely sure if the lenght will affect lag. what i do know is that the design of the manifold is worth 15hp alone,

the gases flow down and then because the turbo is top mounted, the hot air rises up and sucks the exhaust gases up into the turbo makeing more power than say a log style manifold or bottom mount turbo.

Really? I think they're having you on there. I don't even know where to begin explaining why its rubbish so I won't bother trying. If anyone knows this is actually true though I would genuinely love an education as to why.

Not to take anything away from the car and project though, I know how the cost of these sorts of projects can spiral! I'm sure you're going to love it when its finished.

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Jaik

Quote from: "muffdan"
Quote from: "MR2 super GT"I'm not entirely sure if the lenght will affect lag. what i do know is that the design of the manifold is worth 15hp alone,

Really? I think they're having you on there. I don't even know where to begin explaining why its rubbish so I won't bother trying. If anyone knows this is actually true though I would genuinely love an education as to why.

Not to take anything away from the car and project though, I know how the cost of these sorts of projects can spiral! I'm sure you're going to love it when its finished.

Jason
Agreed, the idea that thermal convection in the manifold would have any affect on boost is just silly.

Nice project though, will be a serious bit of kit when that engine goes in!

Tem

Quote from: "muffdan"

I'm not an expert on turbo manifolds, but sounds rubbish to me. I'd love to be proven wrong though. The part that was true was that log style manifolds do suck and the difference is easily 15hp or more. But it's the flow that matters, not hot air rising up. 2l engine without boost at 4000rpm pushes some 70 liters of air through it every second. And four times as much at 8000rpm with 15psi. There's really no time for hot air to start rising up, it just goes with the flow.

Actually the exhaust gases cool down a LOT every inch there is, so generally the turbo should be as close as possible, not further away. That's where the lag comes from with longer manifolds, cause the gases take less space when they cool down, which means the velocity will decrease before it hits the turbo. Also, front engined cars tend to have heat and fitment issues with larger turbos, if they are placed low. That's why they tend to be "up" with aftermarket manifolds.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

MR2 super GT

the feedback and opinions are all good, Im no thermal dynamics expert, so any information on manifolds and gas flow is all new to me.

so I could have been told rubbish information and been none the wiser.

time will tell how much power it makes and how effective the manifold design is.

the main purpose was to get an equal length manifold

custardavenger

I'm no expert in turbo's but would say that i think equal length runners that direct the gas flow directly into turbo like you have must be better that forcing the gas flow round corners, but also agree that the legnth may be an issue.

One thing I will say that I'm sure that the turbo boys will agree with is that I would look into bracing the turbo to the block somehow, while also allowing it to expand with tempariture. I know many people have had issues with thin wall welded manifolds cracking due to insuficient bracing.
Project Custard Clicky

Innocent

Like the Reckless kit mate. I'm making plans for next years car of choice at the moment, sticking with the MR2 would mean getting a widebody kit then having Paul Woods weave his magic on the engine front. Options are APR or GT300 replica, but not thought about this one. Found some picks of one in black which looks incredible. Where did you get it from? Does it fit properly or has it required some work?

MR2 super GT

Custard there is a brace which is not visible in the pictures. its supporting right below where all the runners start to come together and is attatched to the lower block.

Innocent I got the kit from Japan Parts. As for the fit, the build quality of the pieces is top quality, you get what you pay for.

the kit would just need some very fine tuning to get everything sitting like stock pannnels like linning up gaps to be equal on both sides.

I fitted the kit to the car my self it was easy, thats the great thing about these cars, all the pannels bolt off.

custardavenger

Any updates?
Project Custard Clicky

MR2 super GT

Not really   s:( :( s:(  

The car was away getting the Roberuta suspension cups installed and some other wiring work.

It is back at the mechanics now, things left to do are:

finish return lines for turbo
plumb the whole intake set up (air filter and charge cooler)
cut the tail pipes off and re adjust so they sit correctly

Then off to get its new ECU wired and tuned.

I hope to have it ready for Christmas   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

Here is some recent pics or my fuel return line, oil lines, oil filter, oil cooler, engine actually in the car etc

Ilogik

Any updates on this mate.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

MR2 super GT

Seeing as you asked. Not a lot more.

Car is away getting its new ECU installed and mapped, I went for a DTA s60 pro ECU.

The BOV will be re-circulating, just hadnt got the pipe work finished at time of taking the picture.

Some people say its best to have it close to the TB, it was just not that practical considering the logistics of the charger cooler etc.

Car should be back next week, then it needs a few finishing touches before it can be run in.

then ofcourse there is the re-spray   s:( :( s:(

custardavenger

Still looking tasty. Is that a move of the coolant tank or was it just resting there?
Project Custard Clicky

loadswine

Looks very interesting, even if the pics are a little fuzzy. Some attention to detail for sure.  s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

MR2 super GT

coolant has been moved to a temporary new home. not sure where it will end up.

Yeah my phone camera is only 2mp and is still awful.

custardavenger

I presume thats cos your intake is there and it's that massive it takes up the whole of that space?
Project Custard Clicky

MR2 super GT

Yes custard, the intake pipe runs along there and the coolant needs to be moved to allow air filter to sit around there.
The plan is to have it placed in the rear 1/4 pannel so that its away from all the heat and also has a big flow of air from the duct

Tags: