1zz turbo 1.81L GTK450 updated 19/02/12 pg5

Started by MR2 super GT, August 13, 2007, 21:22

MR2 super GT

Didnt want to start a thread in the appearance section but if it warrants it then by all means one of the mods let me know.

Here is some pics of the colour scheme I think I will be sticking with. Its just white vinyl on the roof and doors, then the gel coat on the body kit.

when I\'m not in traction, I\'m in action

Ilogik

As much as I love white cars and I love yours, I think it needs some darker paint, or colour.

After seeing this sablegrey I think, this car is the business. Could be the pics making it look washed out.

Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

DannyN

Looks sweet mate
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

MR2 super GT

Some pics of the engine bay finished

I wanted to wait until I got the Carbon Mods engine cover before taking some final pics. Also any eagle eyes out there may notice the 'improvised' mounting of the oil catch tank...
Its a bit rash but space to mount things has become very scarce.

I also plumbed the intake into the rear 1/4 panel so that it is away from the heat and also gets cold air through the vent in the panel

front under panel to help cooling and front end down force

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ilogik"As much as I love white cars and I love yours, I think it needs some darker paint, or colour.

After seeing this sablegrey I think, this car is the business. Could be the pics making it look washed out.

that is sexual

personally i think theres too much going on with the car (like too many lines and edges etc.) for it to be white, i think white looks best on nice smooth lines and sleek curves, i love themr2 without bodykit in white, but i have to agree with the guys who dont think the white suits

and whatever colour you choose, dont leave the carbon bits unpainted!!!   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

custardavenger

I think it's totally up to you, if you like white then go with it. As for the carbon, I think showing it off as now become un cool. Was a bit fast and furious. I thimk the latest thing is to paint it but with such a thin coat of paint that you can still see the weave through it (like various supercars). Now I'm not sure how they get that effect and whether it would work on white without comming out grey bt it's definately the cool way to go.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

MR2 super GT

Yeah custard I think they get they by maybe mixing the colour with the clear coat. Im a fast and furious lover so I might be behind the times with the carbon showing but I do like it personally.

When the time comes to paint it I will make a decision. by that time I will have grown tired of the bare carbon

aaronjb

Whatever colour it ends up, I love the work that's gone into all of it  s:) :) s:)  Very well done, indeed.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

philster_d

yep, awesome!

MR2 super GT

Update:

Since the last post, ive blown the head gasket due to corroded radiator internals.

Had to get the engine rebuilt after only completing 1000miles on the initial engine build   s:( :( s:(  

Since then the car has had a Koyo racing radiator installed along with new pistons and a new head gasket.

The new pistons were 82.5mm bore and the car is now a 1.96L and I have to break the engine in all over again. on the plus side the car struggles to get over 85c in water temperatrure and the oil temp is just as hard to get upto even 100c

No more new pics, but roll on the next 1000 miles...

Ilogik

LoL from recent posts I think modding is not all its cracked up to be.

markiii

depends on what you think modding is cracked up to be?

if you can't handle some degree of risk, leave it how teh factory intended
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ilogik

Quote from: "markiii"depends on what you think modding is cracked up to be?

if you can't handle some degree of risk, leave it how the factory intended

Well when I had my forged build on my mk2, i had problems, reading phil's woes and now this one, you pump so much money into a car, and end up no better off, where as you say if you had stayed to stockish modding, maybe not as many problems. Its a total gut busting feeling when you realized money is being pissed up the wall and then look at other things you can get for your money. This realization has modding just hit home with me after speaking to Matt at SP. Prime example if i had stayed stock piggy back rather than the power fc, I wouldn't of wasted so much money getting car mapped.  Well maybe wouldn't of wasted as much money if i had gone to westons to start with, but you live and learn.

Also im not most mechanically minded so for me it becomes even more expensive.

markiii

right then no-one take this personally  :-) :-) :-)

in my book the only benefit to modding is if you enjoy the actual doing, i.e your hands on, for me half teh fun is having it in bits and learning something (sometimes the hard way)

if your not that kind of person, if your mods are done by someone else, if the getting your hands dirty isn't teh fun bit, then why do it?

just spend teh money on a better car?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

I'm with Mark on this, the biggest surprise i had when i got the 2 was how much i enjoyed working on cars again.
I end up doing bits on loads of other peoples cars either helping solve problems or adding modifications.

I'm gradually modding my car, it's doing well and not finished yet, I have definite ideas of what i want to do to it.
But I have realistic expectations what to expect from what I'm doing to it, and every result i've enjoyed so far ... well apart from the GSD3's which i'm struggling to get used to.

With all due respect If you want a certain amount of power and better handling and you don't enjoy doing most of the work yourself then just save all the money you would throw in someone elses direction doing it to your current steed and buy a car that meets your needs out of the box. That wouldn't have worked for me though as i've come to enjoy working on these cars, i guess i was disenchanted prior to 2 ownership. There are bits i just don't have the facilities or skill to do, but i've done the majority of the work.

Paying domeone to mod a car for you is like buying a factory built kitcar imho.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

MR2 super GT

I do it for a hobby and to keep me occupied, i enjoy doing small bits an pieces to the car but leave the major stuff to a professional. I see my self more as the project co ordinator, i choose the set up and what parts go into the car to get the best possible combination and to suit my own taste.

I was gutted when i realised i just pissed the cost of a complete engine rebuild up the wall for the sake of a £350 radiator. At the time I didnt have the money for the radiator during the build. Also nearly every post I read about radiator said the std one was up to the job so I left it like that.

if i hadnt just moved house the car would be still off the road as I just wouldnt have been able to get a new build done off the bat. SO it is a risky and expensive hobby when you start to change so much with the car.

but then I get into the car, tighten up the harness and feel everything the car is doing and the handling is just sublime it makes everyting seem just that little be more worth while

muffdan

I do certain mods myself, but I farm out most of the mods. Partly because I work 80 hours a week and haven't got the time to do it myself, partly because the money I spend on it is disposable income anyway, partly because other people can do the work much quicker than I could so my car is off the road less.

The point in modding for me is to have something fully custom that I have designed and specced, regardless of how much of the work I have done myself, the car is still a product of my mind and creativity.

I like to think about modding a car like you would a house. You add a conservatory or an extension, you buy a new kitchen, you redo your bathrooms, replace furniture, carpets, paint the walls, dig a pit in your garage or get yourself a loft conversion. Do you do all that work yourself? No, you do some of it yourself but you pay others who's trade it is to do the more complex or time consuming tasks.

You could just sell up and buy a house that already has that brand new bathroom you want, but you don't. It's not just about getting a better house or a better car, foe me, in both cases it's about creating something greater than what you started with, that is personal and unique to you, that makes you smile and feel content when you're in it.

For me, the lesser the car you can start with the better too! I love suprising the bigger fish in my girly MR2.

One day I'll buy a new car but there's no way I'm ever selling my '2 because I love it as a project I have invested a lot of time in and it's been a labour of love. It's not just as a car that I use when I need to get from A to B.

My 2p worth anyway   s:D :D s:D
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Wabbitkilla

ok, maybe we've slipped away from the subject a bit here and i'm as much to blame as anyone.

I am actually gutted for the people who have done so much to their engines only to have them self destruct.

1. Radiator - dman who would've expected that eh?
2. Two engines from MWR and still not on the road long enough to enjoy it.

It's certainly a risky adventure, but i guess if it's what you enjoy then go have the fun, you two guys obviously accept that and live with the consequences.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Ilogik

Quote from: "muffdan"I do certain mods myself, but I farm out most of the mods. Partly because I work 80 hours a week and haven't got the time to do it myself, partly because the money I spend on it is disposable income anyway, partly because other people can do the work much quicker than I could so my car is off the road less.

The point in modding for me is to have something fully custom that I have designed and specced, regardless of how much of the work I have done myself, the car is still a product of my mind and creativity.

I like to think about modding a car like you would a house. You add a conservatory or an extension, you buy a new kitchen, you redo your bathrooms, replace furniture, carpets, paint the walls, dig a pit in your garage or get yourself a loft conversion. Do you do all that work yourself? No, you do some of it yourself but you pay others who's trade it is to do the more complex or time consuming tasks.

You could just sell up and buy a house that already has that brand new bathroom you want, but you don't. It's not just about getting a better house or a better car, foe me, in both cases it's about creating something greater than what you started with, that is personal and unique to you, that makes you smile and feel content when you're in it.

For me, the lesser the car you can start with the better too! I love suprising the bigger fish in my girly MR2.

One day I'll buy a new car but there's no way I'm ever selling my '2 because I love it as a project I have invested a lot of time in and it's been a labour of love. It's not just as a car that I use when I need to get from A to B.

My 2p worth anyway   s:D :D s:D

That is why I pay other people to, to say modding a car should only be done if you do the work yourself is daft, The amount of bodge jobs I seen people do themselves is mental.

markiii

don;t think anyone said you should ONLY do it if you do it yourself

just that I don't see teh point

custardavenger

Only if you don't know what your doing.
Personally I don't like to take my car to someone else for them to bodge up. As long as you enjoy modding and are not spending beyond your means then no problem.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

MR2 super GT

well long time no update so here is a pic of the dyno result and some pics of the exterior as how it will probably look once finally painted.

not disappointed with the dyno results. its mapped on regular unleaded but I do feel there should be more from the engine considering the modifications it has.

it was also running at 1.1 BAR and the wastegate spring was not stiff enough so more boost could be had with stiffer spring.

296 hp @ 7300 rpm
210 ftlbs torque @ 5500 rpm

muffdan

That's not bad at all, and a nice rev limit there!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Ilogik

i LOVE YOUR wheels, great car!!

MR2 super GT

yeah like i said im not unhappy. just wondering why its not a bit higher and also cant understand the big difference between HP and Torque. I always thought the 1zz was renowned for having similar HP and Torque.

Tags: