A match for PE1215-S IHI turbo?

Started by spit, August 27, 2007, 11:31

spit

Drawn a blank  s:? :? s:?  I'm looking for a new set of turbo gaskets for the PE Turbo unit.

Its an IHI with no helpful markings on it. PE brand it as a PE1215-S which is no help whatsoever and not confirmed on the unit itself.  s:( :( s:(  

Exhaust casting stamp is:

HSHI
    9EZ

Inlet and outlet on the hot side don't match anything I've searched for or seen before, and local suppliers haven't managed to identify the flanges.

Anyone know if the exhaust side matches to a production model?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

markiii

you try teh scoobie?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

Yep Scoob was my first port of call.

If I could find out how the PE relates to the IHI coding (RHB, RHO, RHF, VF etc) I might be in with a shout but there's nothing on the casting to help.

Inlet is similar to Garrett's oblong, but the mounts are offset.
Outlet is an odd 4-point fixing

I'll 'phone Matt at MWR when the USA is awake to see if he knows anything.

Plan B is to use the old ones glooped up
Plan C is to knock some up in copper

... but I'd rather get the spec. right as I need to sort out other essentials like oil feed and restrictor too  s:? :? s:?

markiii

m http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performance/ ... o-data.pdf m

not sure if that helps

apparently they make oem for Saabs and Mazdas as well if that helps

rumour has it that the small suziki turbos are IHI as well
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Quote from: "I"Aha, according to this page the PE1215S is probably based on an IHI RHF5

If that helps find a matching gasket at all..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

Thanks guys. Another handy resource here that links turbos to production vehicles, but I've yet to find confirmation on the turbo housing thats used on this PE.

Lots of IHI to go at, and I think you could be on the right lines with the RHF5 Aaron as I've seen reference to to a four-point stud fixing, but the variants I've managed to locate pictures of so far are nothing like  s:? :? s:?  

Ho-hum.

markiii

got a picture of teh flange Ste?

spit

markiii

no idea with the outlet, but the inlet looks suspicously like a T04 fitting see  m http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merch ... e=ATP-FLS1 m  note its square as opposed to the T03 rectangular flange used on the GT28

spit

Quote from: "Mark's link"Bolt pattern: 3.250" x 2.750". The Flange has an innder diameter of 3.00".

A little big Mark.

PE Bolts are 2.5" and 2.25" spacing. Flange is 3" x 3 3/8th" overall and the bolts are equidistant to the flange edge rather than the hole (if that makes sense).

The optimist in me feels we're homing in on it though  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

aaronjb

Looks like all the Subaru's have a strange three-bolt triangular flange..

1st Gen US MX-6 looks promising:  m http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-faq-forced ... -30-a.html m  (turbo on the left)

And even then I have a feeling the actual 'inlet' will be round rather than square - all the standard IHI units seem to have that..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

spit

Am I looking at the right pic Aaron ("exhaust side") ? - those have a five-bolt outlet.

Ganna call MWR then officially give up for the night.  s:? :? s:?

aaronjb

No I was meaning the manifold side - you can't really see much except that it appears to be at least rectangular (probably square) as it's still bolted to the exhaust manifold in all the pics..

spit

Ahhhhh mea culpa etc.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

spit

And the word from MWR is ....

"Its an IHI, and thats all we know too!"

Unfortunately they don't deal in the parts, just the full PE kit  s:? :? s:?  

Game Over?  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "spit"And the word from MWR is ....

"Its an IHI, and thats all we know too!"

Unfortunately they don't deal in the parts, just the full PE kit  s:? :? s:?  

Game Over?  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Thanks for trying Ste, and everyone else who's spent some time looking into this. It is much appreciated. I guess it's plan B then
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

aaronjb

Unless you can go to PE direct?  Dave @ Prolex?  Miguel @ Newera?

spit

Yes, thanks to all for rooting around.

If I could get a positive ID on the housing I'm sure it'd be a breeze, but its certainly not a common IHI model.

Otherwise yes it looks like tackling PE directly.

spit

OK next dumb question. Oil restriction.

The PE kit Oil pressure adaptor (tapped into the oil pressure switch) is another part missing from this kit, but no biggie as we have to get an oil line made up for the sandwich plate.

At the turbo end its straight on with a banjo.

IIRC the Garrett's BB uses a restrictor of around 0.8mm. Does the IHI need a restrictor, or is it journal bearing that I can plumb straight in? Obviously the state of the seals on the hub are an unknown, but I don't want to pinch the feed too much and starve the bearing.

Thankyou wise ones.

Prolex-UK

Have emailed PE  s:D :D s:D
Fiat 500 Abarth Essesse 2010 182 bhp  lovely car !!
TOM\'s IS350 compressor 378 bhp 170 mph and still pulling on autobahn (sold :-) )
http://www.prolex-uk.com

aaronjb

Good question Ste - IHI make both plain bearing and journal bearing.. it's anyones guess  s:? :? s:?

Does this help identify it at all?
 m http://www.ihi-turbo.com/turbo_RHE-RHF.htm m

In fact - RHF is ball bearing.. no help as to the restrictor size needed, though.

Prolex-UK

reply from PE

Dear Dave,

We can sell some parts for repair.
I need parts number so please ask your customer what parts does he need exactly from the MRS kit installation guide.
Please let me know the number from the components.

Regards,
Fiat 500 Abarth Essesse 2010 182 bhp  lovely car !!
TOM\'s IS350 compressor 378 bhp 170 mph and still pulling on autobahn (sold :-) )
http://www.prolex-uk.com

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"OK next dumb question. Oil restriction.

The PE kit Oil pressure adaptor (tapped into the oil pressure switch) is another part missing from this kit, but no biggie as we have to get an oil line made up for the sandwich plate.

At the turbo end its straight on with a banjo.

IIRC the Garrett's BB uses a restrictor of around 0.8mm. Does the IHI need a restrictor, or is it journal bearing that I can plumb straight in? Obviously the state of the seals on the hub are an unknown, but I don't want to pinch the feed too much and starve the bearing.

Thankyou wise ones.

Out of interest, how come theres so many parts missing from this kit? ebay special?

markiii

nice one Dave, looks like part numbers

1361-T111
1362-T111

unless there is anything else missing?

loadswine

Alternative course of action, flog that kit again Phil and go for a more complete kit. I know of one.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
I read that is a ball bearing turbo, might be an idea to make copper gaskets if none are easily available. How much of a hurry are you in Ste, as I will probably be able to examine mine shortly when all the bits come back.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Tags: