Another (different) roof-rub to watch out for..

Started by aaronjb, August 27, 2007, 20:07

aaronjb

So, I've been keeping an eye out for the classic rivets-rub-through-roof problem, and I don't have that happening..

But I did find another rub in a slightly different place the other day - fortunately it's only through the inside fabric, the vinyl roof is still intact, but the hole on the passenger side was pretty close to being a major problem..

The place to look is immediately behind the usually offending rivets:
(passenger side)

(drivers side)

As you can see, my ghetto fix for the time being is insulation tape until I can get an iron-on patch to reinforce the area.  By this time I'd also wrapped the rivets (as you can see) in the same tape - you don't notice it when you're in the car.

The offending rubbing item, however, is actually this bar:

That's the bar that forms the main curved rear backbone of the roof sides - it turns out that when the roof is folded down, that bar is 'sitting' atop the inside of the roof, and in my case the roof also creases slightly as it sits under that bar.. general driving vibrations and raising & lowering had been slowly wearing through the roof..

I wrapped the bar in insulation tape (the area wrapped is hidden behind the large 'B pillar' plastics when up), though I don't think that would do much as the bar is already smooth painted.

I know this looks like the classic rivet rub, but believe me it's not - I had my head in there pretty good while raising & lowering the roof, because I couldn't figure out how the area rubbed went nowhere near the rivets (it gets further away as the roof lowers).

Just something to keep an eye on..

(Please excuse the water stains - drains must have been blocked with the previous owner  s:? :? s:?  )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

Hmmm must check that one out pronto. Thanks matey.

To keep things together, here's info on the classic rivet rub that Aaron refers to in his narrative.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

This is exactly the sort of thing that makes this club soooo good. Gonna check my roof out soonest.   s:D :D s:D

Tags: