Track tyre pressures rethink

Started by Anonymous, September 1, 2007, 10:27

Anonymous

With Neova LTS rubber I had been following the advice on here of running 24 front and 30 rear (the stiff side wall allowing lower pressures, yadda yadda).

However, following discussions with Patrick at Rogue and his race pressures I've decided these were far too low for track work.  I have since tried 28 front and 36 rear.  Things are now much more interesting and lots of wheel twirling to keep you busy.  The problem is still the front end though, in fact with the higher pressures the nose just felt a bit random and unsure of itself so I have since lowered the fronts to 26.5... an even lower front tyre pressure would probably be better but the shoulders wear so quickly with the standard springs I feel inclined to put a little more pressure in to bring some of the load across to the centre of the tyre instead.  I am still reluctant to put lowered stiffer suspension on in fear of ending up with way too much grip for the power available.  As it stands I'm trying to use the narrowest rubber I can get away with. Is it simply not possible to adjust camber on the standard car?

In the mean time to deal with the shoulder wear I'm going to swap the left tyres over to the right which seems to work fine as long as it doesn't rain!

With the extra PSI in at the rear the road ride quality has gone a bit crap now mind you! (thats another reason why I am reluctant to stiffen the suspension up)

As I say, its mainly the fronts which are the problem... the last set of rears did wear at the shoulders... but by the time they were scrap the tyre was down to the tread wear indicators right the way across its width and the shoulders were still hanging on.

Tags: