V6 mk3 project thread ( vid added Page 8 + page 10)

Started by paul Woods, September 1, 2007, 14:37

paul Woods

hi guys,I'm new to this particular forum so go easy on me!

Some of you may or may not have heard about what we do,i run woodsport which is a garage dedicated to mr2 engine conversions of all types,usually 3s-gtes into mk1's and 3vz-fe's into mk2's.We have built supercharged variants of the v6 as well,one of which is fitted to a mk1.

On a personal note ive been building a 1uz-fe (4.0ltr lexus v8) powered mk1 for the last god knows how many years,probably never get round to finishing it! Woodsport takes up all my time,thats my excuse anyway.

Earlier this year i got approached by "loadswine" about the possibility of fitting a v6 into his roadster,well we now have this car at WS HQ and in the next fortnight we will be making a start on the conversion.It will be a first in europe and i believe "blitzo" is the only other guy alive to have put a v6 into a mk3,so its going to be a pretty rare animal.

I thought id start this thread to introduce myself to this forum (Twobrutal moderator so i spend most of my virtual time there!) and also detail the conversion with step by step pics on this thread for you guys to follow along and who knows it might even help one or two of you have a go yourself at home   s:D :D s:D  

Anyway enough banging on from me,i will post updates as and when they happen,there will also be a WS webcam in operation from next week so you can follow along live.

All the best,paul.

T17LUN

Hi mate

what's the rough cost of this and also what power and torque figures are we looking at in the finished product?

Tee

paul Woods

hi,i cant disclose costs as im not affiliated on here but if you drop me an email i can give you a rough idea.

Power wise the v6 outputs 190bhp and the same torque from a totally stock engine,even in this detuned state (toyota made these an FE economy tuned engine instead of the GE sports variants) they still outperform stock rev1/2 turbo mk2's that we fit them to.

We have timeslips showing a v6 mk2 running a 14.2 quarter,that was totally stock.With head porting and a few other free mods we should be seeing 230-240bhp from this one.It will pull like a train in a mk3 chassis (we only have a v6 in a mk1 to compare it to weight wise) and the sound they make is to die for.   s:D :D s:D

philster_d

Welcome to here Paul.   s:) :) s:)

Good luck with the test car.

spit

Hi Paul - we've chatted already  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  I'll be watching this with great interest. No doubt Nigel will too  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Oh, and welcome to the ROC.

Go well
Ste
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

paul Woods

hi ste,it was you on the phone the other day about the turbo type etc? nice talking to you mate,i'll be sure to grab that info for you.

spit

Yep that was me. Somewhere on these pages there's a long discussion that came to no conclusion about turbo type ... although we have a clearer idea of what it isn't and things are moving forwards thanks to your advice.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Oh, and you have PM of a [Mod] nature  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

loadswine

Hi Paul, and welcome!  s:D :D s:D  
This is wierd, as I saw this thread entitled "V6 Mk3 project"  and thought " this looks interesting" then twigged, "Oh that's my car!! "
D'oh!!
I am pretty excited, but that won't be a surprise to anyone, looks like I'll be glued to the Woodsports webcam when its online.
I know there will be a load of folks on here who will offer encouragement and knowledge too , as we go along.  s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

enid_b

i want one. im sooo jealous nigel.

whens it gonna be finished, and when you bringing it up for the NW crew to drooooool over.    s:D :D s:D  

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

markiii

welcome Paul,

looking forward to seeing how all teh things we discussed panout
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

northernalex

Welcome Paul.. I think i met you a while ago in the Church Mouse having a drink and some food at a NE meet..sounds like a very interesting project.. especially if you can get 240 bhp easily from an NA...  s:) :) s:)

Love your MR2 MK1.5 conversions!!
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

paul Woods

hi mark it might be a steep learning curve on this one but im sure theres nothing we cant work out.

Hi alex,i remember meeting you at the mouse,that was a good day for sure.

We are also being a little more adventurous with this project by trying to get an equal length driveshaft set up sorted out as well...here is the parts list so far...

1x 3vz-fe v6 with ported heads
1x mk2 na gearbox
1x 5s-fe fidanza flywheel modified to fit v6
1x 6 paddle ACT clutch
1x pair of celica st182 na driveshafts (supported type)

Now seeing as we use the NA gearbox from a mk2 it means all v6 swaps into mk2's up to now have used the mk2 NA shafts which are an unequal length ie one long and one short shaft.It works very well but on this build i want to try and retain the equal length shaft set up that it currently has.

So i will need to modify the v6 carrier bracket and also relocate the carrier bearing on the shaft to make the celica supported shaft work,but if we pull it off it would be a major bonus.

Any comments from you guys would be helpful as the build progresses,i may be asking the odd mk3 related question too if we are unsure of something!

loadswine

I can promise that I'll try to let as many people see and experience it ,when its done as possible.
I'll also post up some vid too, so you can hear what its like. I first heard a Mk2 with the V6 in a vid clip on youtube and was hooked from then on.
I've driven a Mk1 with a V6 as well and that totally did it!  s:) :) s:)  
 I really wanted to get a V6 lump in my Roadster, so Paul was the man to speak to!
Now you can see why I'm selling all my turbo kit.  s8) 8) s8)

VVT-i

Quote from: "paul Woods"It will pull like a train in a mk3 chassis (we only have a v6 in a mk1 to compare it to weight wise) and the sound they make is to die for.   s:D :D s:D

If this is the car I think you are talking about it's a Monster (literally.. it has a Monster" sticker on the windscreen  s:lol: :lol: s:lol: )

*Pictures "borrowed" from MR2 Only Magazine*

The engineering that has gone into this build is 2nd to none.. it really is an excellent conversion. I convoyed down to JAE with Michael this year and the car sounds amazing too.

Loadswine is going to be in for a treat when it's finished, it will go like s*** off a shovel, and, thanks to the MK3's chassis,  stick to the road like the same proverbial to a blanket.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

paul Woods

ah yes thats a woodsport conversion,michael sherrys v6 supercharged mk1 we built a few months ago,i was referring to another normally aspirated mk1 v6 we built as a comparison to a mk3 v6.....but michaels car is to date the quickest mr2 we have ever built,that thing is a scary animal to drive! wicked power to weight ratio.

Draggon

Excellent....cant wait to see pics etc.

Jealous already  s;) ;) s;)
Black 04 MR2 Roadster, Black Leather. David Style Chrome Bars (1 piece). Dev\'s keyhole covers, Dev\'s BL Visor, Small Mongo\'s with eagle stickers, J-spec nose badge, spyder rear badge, ST Crystal side indicators. TTE Springs :)

Anonymous

Yay!! It's all systems go then - am very excited for you Nigel   s8) 8) s8)   And as I've already had the "before" drive I will look forward to the "after" one drive even more!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Good luck with it all,

Sandi

Liz

Rubbing my thighs already with how good that is going to sound. Hope it goes ok Nigel.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

loadswine

You're on Sandi! Be glad to let you have a go.   s8) 8) s8)  
It should be interesting to get your views as you have driven it before.
Yes, I am very excited, its a different sort of feeling to getting a new car, as you don't know exactly what it will be like, you just know its gonna be great!  s:) :) s:)   You also get to see it take shape before your eyes and share this with others, how cool is that?  s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)

aaronjb

Quote from: "Liz"Rubbing my thighs already

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Aaanyway.. should be good to see this when it's done  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"You're on Sandi! Be glad to let you have a go.   s8) 8) s8)  
It should be interesting to get your views as you have driven it before.

Great! Was kinda hoping you'd say that   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s8) 8) s8)  

QuoteYes, I am very excited, its a different sort of feeling to getting a new car, as you don't know exactly what it will be like, you just know its gonna be great!  s:) :) s:)   You also get to see it take shape before your eyes and share this with others, how cool is that?  s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)

I'd love to be able to say I know what you mean... maybe one day...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

loadswine

Quote from: "Liz"Rubbing my thighs already with how good that is going to sound. Hope it goes ok Nigel.

Thanks Liz,  very good way of expressing the anticipation......
  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

loadswine

Quote from: "aaronjb"Aaanyway.. should be good to see this when it's done  s:) :) s:)

I'll make sure you get to have a go mate.  s:) :) s:)

rtbiscuit

should be an interesting project, bhp output sounds similar to the 2ZZ, but i'm guessing the tourque figures are alot higher.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

loadswine

Its a different animal altogether Rich, the key to this engine's atrraction is about the torque under the curve, and the torque curve on the V6 is pretty flat and most is available from around 2000 RPM I think.
The raw horsepower figures won't be as high as some of the turbos, but it promises to be pretty rapid.  s:D :D s:D  
I have driven a Mk1 with this V6 and it was very quick and extremely driveable, plus the soundtrack is so much better than anything I've heard from a 4pot.
It will be good to have another option for the Roadster.  s8) 8) s8)

Tags: