V6 mk3 project thread ( vid added Page 8 + page 10)

Started by paul Woods, September 1, 2007, 14:37

kanujunkie

ignore me then, i thought it was pre

sorry  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

loadswine

Here's Friday:

"lots of work today but in real terms not a lot accomplished,but it was quite a big deal making the supported shaft carrier bracket from scratch,and also its the only one in the world which is kinda cool!

So first job was to cut a 5mm plate that bolted to the block,this also has the dowel holes located in it too....

Then i made a plate that attached to the carrier block...

And with that attached to the block and fitted to the shaft....

This block would normally sit flat to the block face,we dont have room for that,so instead its hung upside down like this....

I also needed to make a hole in the block plate for part of the carrier block to poke through....and then tack welded them together with good support plates either side...

As i went along i made sure the whole thing was removable,it would be highly embarassing if i welded this in situ and couldnt unbolt it for seam welding!

Shortly after i removed the whole thing and seamed it up....cranked the castomag up to 5 for this job! it blew my welder plug fuse as its never been on that high a setting before,so i upgraded the fuse with a bolt  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    brutal! mind you the workshops probably on fire now   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

and painted....

And the bracket in situ holding the supported shaft.... say hello to the worlds first v6 mk3 with equal length driveshaft set up on a mk2 NA box....

Other work today included attaching the shifter cables to the gearbox linkages....i used nigels brass bushings off his old cables and inserted them into these mk2 ones,more toyota interchangeability....

Of course they arent attached to anything inside the car,thats all got to be custom built yet...the cables that is,not the inside of the car   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Also i got the suspension rebuilt too....

So the drivetrain is now complete... things to do include....

plumbing
fuel lines
alternator
AC pump
wiring the ecu up
gear shifter assembly
coolant bottle
starter motor
battery relocation
exhaust downpipes
exhaust silencer
AFM and air filter
cooling fan
engine lid catch
oil filter relocation
instrumentation
rebuild the interior
rebuild the exterior
fill engine/box with fluids
turn the key.....brum brum
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

You should have it done by Tuesday then  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Y'know the best thing about this thread, and Paul's work in particular? It's not the extremely high level of workmanship, and it's not the fact that this is currently a one-off in this country, but more the fact that Paul (and Nigel) is letting everyone see EXACTLY what he's doing at every stage, mistakes and all. There's very few people left who would do that, so that makes this all the more remarkable.

My hat is off to you both.

northernalex

I'll be there tuesday morning  s:) :) s:)  lol

Seriously guys if you could let me know pm?? the approximate time when you're going to be finished/picking the car up .. then i'd love to pop down..

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Chris_h

Somebody needs to catch an audio file of the start up - I cant wait!
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

northernalex

Quote from: "Chris_h"Somebody needs to catch an audio file of the start up - I cant wait!

I'll do my best  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

paul Woods

thanks ekona,thats always been my way of doing things,ive no time for these "secret societies" and indeed far too many garages hide or wont share what they do...i have always been a firm believer in sharing the information with everyone even if it helps my competition learn how to do stuff,its the only way to be,mainly because ive a big interest in helping the man at home tackle it himself (its a twobrutal thing!   s8) 8) s8)   )......now when are you letting me v6 that vxr   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I will grab video of this starting up when it happens

Anonymous

Quote from: "paul Woods"now when are you letting me v6 that vxr   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The 3.0l GM one does fit...  s;) ;) s;)   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

loadswine

Dan , thanks for the comments, I've enjoyed the sharing bit, it adds to the sort of atmosphere that we try and promote on the club.

Chris, I'm looking forward to it as well mate!

Alex, sure I'll let you know when we're going to pick it up.

Paul, you're a bad man tempting Dan like that!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

northernalex

Quote from: "Ekona"
Quote from: "paul Woods"now when are you letting me v6 that vxr   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The 3.0l GM one does fit...  s;) ;) s;)   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Now that would be immense  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:

paul Woods

whats the power output and torque figures like for the 3ltr GM?

Anonymous

Pass on the torque, but the 3.2l V6 that was eventually put in the V-XS w/ throttle bodies was producing 326bhp apparently. Never made it into production due to the astronomical costs (£45,000!) sadly.

Only pic I've got of the engine bay:

Tasty.  s8) 8) s8)

And sorry Nige, back on topic now folks  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Ivano

Quote from: "loadswine"Availability, cost, wiring issues. I'm taking a guess that your not in the UK.
If you are and you've manged to source a 1MZ cheaply, then good for you mate, they aren't the easiest things to find cheaply here.
I only know of 1 mk2 with a 1MZ.
Good luck with your build.  s:) :) s:)

Yeh that would be right i'm south of you guys!!
I got my 1MZ for the equiv of +-600 quid.(dunno if its a good deal)
When i get started with the swap i'll post up the info! promised the wife i'd only do it once the car's paid but you making that really it difficult  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  (I gotta a red 2 too)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
GOOD LUCK LOADSWINE AND WOODSPORT  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:   thanks for all the info. it will def make all our lives easier doing the swap!!!
Red 2001, TRD Circuit coilovers,TRD sportivo front and rear sway bars,TRD front and rear strut braces,17" black 5 spoke polished lip,,TRD short shifter,facelift air intakes,corkeys breastplate,Custom 68mm 304 stainless steel Exhaust Dual exit Pipes system, ceramic coated branches, internal antenna, custom Super \'M\' bonnet badge. 1MZ with ITB direct to head, Vipec v88 EMS, LSD, custom equal lenghth drivshafts.....now running and sounding very...very Mean!!!

Ivano

Oh another question....as far as the extra weight is concerned what are planning to do suspension wise?
Red 2001, TRD Circuit coilovers,TRD sportivo front and rear sway bars,TRD front and rear strut braces,17" black 5 spoke polished lip,,TRD short shifter,facelift air intakes,corkeys breastplate,Custom 68mm 304 stainless steel Exhaust Dual exit Pipes system, ceramic coated branches, internal antenna, custom Super \'M\' bonnet badge. 1MZ with ITB direct to head, Vipec v88 EMS, LSD, custom equal lenghth drivshafts.....now running and sounding very...very Mean!!!

loadswine

The existing Teins should handle things okay.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

Quote from: "Ekona"Pass on the torque, but the 3.2l V6 that was eventually put in the V-XS w/ throttle bodies was producing 326bhp apparently. Never made it into production due to the astronomical costs (£45,000!) sadly.

Only pic I've got of the engine bay:

Tasty.  s8) 8) s8)

any idea of weight?

And sorry Nige, back on topic now folks  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "loadswine"The existing Teins should handle things okay.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Paul reckoned so when I was up there the other week. Given the ground clearance of the Trial kit I had asked myself whether this would be an issue. It wasn't something that he was concerned about.
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

@Mark: Haven't got a clue mate, sorry. The info is probably out there somewhere, but without knowing the exact model number for that particular engine (or even which vehicle it comes out of) it's really hard to find. GM make a surprising amount of V6s!

loadswine

Quote from: "evileye_xc"
Quote from: "loadswine"The existing Teins should handle things okay.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Paul reckoned so when I was up there the other week. Given the ground clearance of the Trial kit I had asked myself whether this would be an issue. It wasn't something that he was concerned about.

The Only area where ground clearance was a bit marginal was at the front, so shouldn't really be a problem Phil, the back may ride a tad lower, but that should be fine. We'll know for sure when its on the ground again.  s:) :) s:)

loadswine

Well take a look at what Paul has created today, you'll like this!

"today was a big day in the grand scheme of things,i decided to work on the shifter arrangement....without which this whole project is a dead duck.

So as you know we left off with two mk2 shift cables attached to the gearbox but connected to fresh air in the cabin....we cant use the mk3 shifter box cos its operation works back to front,so yes it would change gears but 2nd would be 3rd,1st would be 4th....it just wouldnt be good!

So i had to build a complete shifter assembly from scratch,i started by chopping up a mk2 shifter unit....

Some of this will form the component parts for the new shifter.

I examined where the cables needed to run and basically there wasnt enough space to run a cable each side of the handbrake lever like it did before,but there was a half decent gap on the passenger side of the handbrake so i decided to mount the cables one on top of the other....this was done by welding the support brackets together like this....

And then this was welded to the car with a support bracket going backwards to take the strain....

Now work could start on the shifter itself,i had nothing to work from other than some mk2 bits...... so i made two plates that bolt to the original shifter points...

Then placed the mk2 shifter assembly central so the stick would poke out through the gaitor in the right place and tacked it in situ with two support bars....

Then i removed the whole thing and added angle iron legs on all four corners....here it is refitted to check it all fits immediately after welding....

Then i lengthened the stick by 3" so it came out of the gaitor properly and then painted the whole thing.....

No designs,no drawings,just fabbed up on the spot to work.... next i made an adjustable extension to go on the "push/pull" cable as i call it....

And extended the "side to side" cable with hollow tube...... this was all aligned properly by engaging the gearbox manually in neutral and centralising the stick where neutral should be.....works on the mk1 turbos we build so why not!

Finally a refit of the centre console....

We have screwed on a mk1 gearknob for now,the mk3 one wouldnt fit and showed 6 speeds and reverse in the wrong place anyhow!

After that we bled the clutch and we can get all five gears plus reverse slicker than snot  s:D :D s:D    and from the outside the centre console looks exactly as it did before,this is a major step forward,i was a tad worried about gear selection but it works 100%

Onwards and upwards!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Respect, I only wish I had half the skills.

SimonC_Here

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s8) 8) s8)  

just like that....

Simon

Chris_h

Respect.... to think about the number of new cars that have lousy 'stir porridge' type shifts and you did this in a day!
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

kanujunkie

balls, imagination and the right tools

lucky bugger Paul
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

loadswine

Todays action from Woodsport:-

"today was all about starting to tackle the little jobs but after sketchys observation about the shifter throw i decided to tackle that....basically to get less stick movement the tab needed welding higher up and i also had to put a bend in one of my linkages so it still missed the centre console,but im pleased to say it works and has reduced the gearstick throw...

Next up i fitted the alternator,really tricky with so little room to play with but its in there.... also i made up the lower radiator hose,pretty simple really and not too far apart from where it needs to go....

Next i did the top rad hose,this one was a little trickier and needed to swing 180* with a mk2 section i had and then run along the top of the engine bay before joining to the filler cap point.....also i connected up the fuel feed line and gave it some protective braiding supplied by nigel....

next was AC fitment,id already made this fit the dummy engine a few weeks ago,still a bugger to fit with so little space but it clears everything and the beauty is i knew the pipes would already fit...

Last job of the day was the expansion bottle,on a mk3 its a pressurized container,all we need it to do on the v6 is act as an overflow reservoir for the ebb and flow of coolant on shutdowns.... so it needed to be converted to a mk1 or mk2 design,this was done by cutting the neck off a mk2 bottle and silicon sealing it onto the mk3 bottle....

Then the mk2 cap fits straight on and with the outlets plugged on the bottle its ready to go and of course bolts up in its stock location which is why ive used it rather than a mk1 or mk2 bottle which would need custom mounting....

Lots more little jobs to do"

Tags: