V6 mk3 project thread ( vid added Page 8 + page 10)

Started by paul Woods, September 1, 2007, 14:37

loadswine

Well the 2 is on the ramp now and it all kicks off in earnest tomorrow, with the removal of the 1zz.
No going back now..... gulp  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Seriously excited  s:D :D s:D
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

spit

Seriously green here Nige.

Has Paul got the 24/7 webcam up and running for this now?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

loadswine

Yes Ste, its up and running 24/7.  s8) 8) s8)

spit

Nah Nah I can see your caaaar  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "loadswine"Yes Ste, its up and running 24/7.  s8) 8) s8)
Link please  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

loadswine

Okay Woodsport's webcam is :

m http://tv.woodsport.org m  

username:woodsport
password:tv

Happy viewing!  s8) 8) s8)

Chris

hmmm seems like it's down at the moment - i keep getting 'server has no repsonse'
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

spit

Looking good - turbo and exhaust are out.

Anyone want to tell them that the crash bar bolts off easily for better access??  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

loadswine

I'll send Paul a pm on twobrutal about the crash bar, I thought that as well.
Chris, if the Active x version doesn't work for you, try the java version.
Most of the folks on TB have been using the java one, I've got the activex one working for me. Its easy enough to try both though.

paul Woods

As promised heres the start of the build thread on nigels car,some of you have been watching today anyway!

SO first of all here is a shot of how things look....

Not much room in that engine bay for.....well anything really! let alone a 6.

Work started by getting rid of the battery and other clutter from the engine bay,and we also removed the rear bumper,this makes access to the rear much easier....
(and yep later on we did remove the rear crossmember for better access cheers lads)

After that i removed the exhaust system and more parts including the chargecooler pipes running front to rear....

Next it was time to remove the turbo equipment,not a bad piece of kit this,quite impressive! engines looking a lot barer now

I had planned to remove the whole engine today but sadly a 32mm double hex socket that i didnt have prevented me from taking the driveshafts out,i have a 32mm but its single hex....so we shut up shop and went to buy one.

Finally today i took a reference shot of how the supported shaft sits in relation to the rear subframe.....this will help with aligning the v6 shaft.

A hell of a lot to come! watch this space.

aaronjb

Paul - if (when!) you find a 32mm bi-hex socket.. please enlighten us where you can find them! We (Mark, Stu and I) trawled all over the usual suspects looking for one and failed (ended up taking the hub etc out with the gearbox before separating the driveshaft & hub from the box).

Ta  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

+1 on the bi-hex.

Nice work Paul - and the webcam is riveting stuff! You should have it finished by the weekend  s:P :P s:P    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

And thanks for reminding me ... Phil, we should get some heat protection onto that oil return line of yours when we've got a moment.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Its well clear of everything, but belt'n'braces and all that.

paul Woods

got one from halfords tonight, £5.50 or so ....its bi-hex 32mm but not deep....I'm hoping it reaches in far enough or I'm going to have to chop it in half and weld some thick wall tube onto it and extend it.... but yes halfords do a 32mm bi-hex

aaronjb

D'oh - so it's official .. Welwyn Halfords sucks for tools! Nothing bigger than 22mm in bi-hex when we went there  s:( :( s:(

Ah.. but there are plenty on eBay - eBay here I come! (Not that I need one now, but I've got to put a clutch in at some point  s:) :) s:) )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

loadswine

Nice one Paul, its good to see some serious removal going on!  s:) :) s:)

paul Woods

paul Woods

hold fire on ordering those 32mm sockets chaps,its actually a 30mm,i measured the wrong part of the nut   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

SteveJ

Quote from: "aaronjb"Paul - if (when!) you find a 32mm bi-hex socket.. please enlighten us where you can find them! We (Mark, Stu and I) trawled all over the usual suspects looking for one and failed (ended up taking the hub etc out with the gearbox before separating the driveshaft & hub from the box).

Ta  s:) :) s:)

My drive-shaft socket is currently residing in Mark's garage if anyone wants to borrow it.

loadswine

Just seen on the webcam, that the seats are out, so looks like the ecu will be out soon as well.

Is the webcam working for everyone now by the way? I know some work computers may have a problem, with what the employer lets you connect to.

paul Woods

todays update...

once the shafts were out of the way the engine was lowered to the floor...as a point of interest toyota didnt fit any engine lifting hooks to this one which caused lots of amusement when we looked for somewhere to hang the chain from

and the empty bay....

also the ecu plugs that run from the car to the power FC... i need to get my head around these for the v6 wiring....

Also i removed the petrol pump to make sure all was well,its had a poor install with a previous fuel pressure regulator cobbled into the pump housing,silicone sealant and cable ties,the usual bodge.....no wonder it was leaking nigel. It has now been ripped out and reverted back to the standard fuel system which will work perfectly with the 6.

Finally today i took out the interior and centre console to have a look at the control linkage.....

The bloody thing works the opposite way around to a mk1 or mk2 selector! when the stick moves forward it pushes the cable instead of pulling it like we want on a mk1/mk2 set up.

We gave this a few hours of thought and the only way around this is to custom build a mk3 friendly shifter out of a mk2 one,this means we can use mk2 cables (which themselves will need extending) and a custom bracket on the tunnel to locate them.Lots of unforseen work but projects like this always work out that way,at least we have a master plan that will work.Doing it this way also means the centre console should not need modifying....we hope!

I had a quick measure up...

the v6 plus mk2NA gearbox total width is only 1cm,thats 10mm wider than the 1zz on the 6 speeder! i couldnt believe it,i was expecting inches difference not just 10mm.....this is good news!

Anonymous

Got to say i love these types of threads!!  s:) :) s:)  

Everyone can see the work been put and we also learning what it takes to make these kind of things happen!

Nice one Nigel  s8) 8) s8)  and keep the pictures and details coming Paul!  s8) 8) s8)  

Excellent thread  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

loadswine

Wow, massive progress already Paul, glad to hear about the length of the engine and transmission, at least that makes that bit easier hopefully.

markiii

another reason I stil think it's worth using teh roadster 6 speed.

can yo not have an adaptor plate Paul and mount the starter motor gearbox side that way?

or will teh 3VZ flywheel not fit the casing?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

loadswine

If there is a trade off in work to be done, I wonder if that might be a plan?

markiii

strikes me it's a better balanceif doable and although Paul is concerned about teh box handling it, mine seems ok with 240ftlbs of turbo
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: