V6 mk3 project thread ( vid added Page 8 + page 10)

Started by paul Woods, September 1, 2007, 14:37

loadswine

Yay! I have an Enid gold star!! Mightily pleased with that mate. I owe you one test drive in a V6 then!  s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

northernalex

Quote from: "loadswine"Yay! I have an Enid gold star!! Mightily pleased with that mate. I owe you one test drive in a V6 then!  s8) 8) s8)

Its quite an exclusive club  s:) :) s:)  lol
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

enid_b

Quote from: "loadswine"Yay! I have an Enid gold star!! Mightily pleased with that mate. I owe you one test drive in a V6 then!  s8) 8) s8)

your on !

i just wanna listen to it all day.

i wonder if halfords will ever come up with a similar device like the electronic BOV, something like a V6 emulator, so i could sit there in a small 600cc car and have it sing like a bird.....  tablets wearing off.

s:D :D s:D
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

paul Woods

Bit of an update here,nige's car is back at woodsport for some "enhancements" some of which will be revealed soon,however i have turned attention to his gearbox and given him the holy grail of NA boxes... first of all i stuck a mk3 Torsen LSD unit into it...

...and then for good measure stuck the corolla diesel 0.73 5th gear set in with late type synchros....

This in my book is the perfect NA box now,rapid 1-4 and a lazy 5th with LSD thrown in that only becomes an LSD when you boot it.

The other "enhancements" will appear on this thread in due course.

In other news we have a new website now   w www.woodsport.org w

markiii

thats where my diffs went then  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

paul Woods

one of them   s:D :D s:D  the other is in my v6 powered mk1   s:D :D s:D

markiii

glad to see they all fitted as planned
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

paul Woods

sometimes you just have to take a ount at something,sometimes it works sometimes you end up spending a fortune and getting nowhere

loadswine

Thanks for sorting this part of the build Paul, much appreciated mate.
I'm so pleased with this. Its now just the box I always wanted.  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:   Should help a treat with putting the power down in slower corners, amongst other things, and a more relaxed fifth gear cruise as well.
Mark, that LSD came from Stu.

paul Woods

oh yeah thats right,this is the LSD you supplied nige! i forgot!

custardavenger

Ah ha. Nice to see your finally getting a LSD. Have to say the idea of a long 5th is great. Wouldn't mind that in my box.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

northernalex

Ditto on that Rob, nice work there Paul. Hmm would the standard roadster benefit from something like this, should the gearbox becomes fubarred?
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

loadswine

Not sure if the internals will fit the Roadster box, but the interchangeability of Toyota bits is astounding. Paul has pored for many hours over electronic parts catalogues to find the information on the fifth gear set that he has put in my Mk2 NA box, and a couple more he has done. Who would have thought a humble 99 Corolla diesel would have exactly the right bits we were after?

Innocent

Go on Nige/ Paul - What else you putting in?! I've read your musing over supercharging over at twobrutal Nige, did you bite the bullet?  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

northernalex

Quote from: "loadswine"Not sure if the internals will fit the Roadster box, but the interchangeability of Toyota bits is astounding. Paul has pored for many hours over electronic parts catalogues to find the information on the fifth gear set that he has put in my Mk2 NA box, and a couple more he has done. Who would have thought a humble 99 Corolla diesel would have exactly the right bits we were after?

The 99 Corolla diesel - fogotton hero  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:

loadswine

@ Innocent, I will reveal exactly all the details when we know exactly what's going in next. TBH, we are not 100% sure exactly the configuration of "bits". You're right though, I have mused on the SC.
I do have some bespoke head gaskets going in though and uprated ARP head bolts.

@Alex, yes, good old Corollas, gotta love the Toyota parts bin. This is pretty recycling at its most fun!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Ivano

Re:
Quote from: "loadswine"Well, quite a few people have asked how much weight gain is involved in the swap. I finally managed to get the car on the weighbridge today.
Same machine as before, though the lad working the figures took the reading while I was still in the car.
This means I have to admit my weight in public.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
Well, to give you the maths, total weight 1140Kg ( me and 2)
My weight ( with safety shoes on!) 92 Kg
Now the weighbridge is accurate to the nearest 20kg, I am told.
So logically take 100Kg off for me, which leaves an approximate weight
for a 3VZ-FE equipped Roadster of ........... 1040Kg
Weight when PE turbo powered................. 1000Kg

So a gain of 40Kg, not bad i think.  s8) 8) s8)

Hi N! so by my calculations a 1MZ would weigh less than a 3VZ and subtract about 20Kg's for my weight, I should have no weght difference  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Almost ready to fit my 1MZ in  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:   probably start the project end of the month....been tooo long in the waiting!!!!
Red 2001, TRD Circuit coilovers,TRD sportivo front and rear sway bars,TRD front and rear strut braces,17" black 5 spoke polished lip,,TRD short shifter,facelift air intakes,corkeys breastplate,Custom 68mm 304 stainless steel Exhaust Dual exit Pipes system, ceramic coated branches, internal antenna, custom Super \'M\' bonnet badge. 1MZ with ITB direct to head, Vipec v88 EMS, LSD, custom equal lenghth drivshafts.....now running and sounding very...very Mean!!!

ex-member

Quick question...

The thing that would put me off putting a V6 into my mk3 is that the engine would be older. I know I could get one with good miles etc etc, but it would be older all the same.

What year did they run up to?

markiii

all alloy 1mz would be the same age or thereabouts as yours

loadswine

I've never worried about the age of my engine, just its health. Thankfully Toyotas engines of the 3VZ and 1MZ periods were very well built and designed, much better than some of their more recent efforts.

ex-member

Yeh I know I shouldn't worry about the age thing, but the whole reason I sold the mk2 for a mk3 was to keep everything new...makes no sense as a good older engine would be just fine, but it's just me being paranoid!

Anyways, it'd be interesting to see how a V6 mk3 copes against a V6 mk2 for comparison. With basic head work etc, a mk2 V6 will keep up with a stock rev1/2 turbo JUST (iirc).

Don't spose you've had quarter mile times or anything simple?

loadswine

No Mark, not had it on a dragstrip, and can't see myself going for that. I may stick it on a dyno at some point though just to see some figures for interest. Subjectively, its about as quick as a TTE turbo or a PE turbo. Some of the more powerful cars like the C2 turbos  will have more after the legal limit maybe, but its very very driveable. That wouldn't show on a dragstrip, but it suits me.
 Various facts and figures have been bandied around in bits of jousting I've seen on other forums, but I don't have anything to add to that.
Oh, and the noise is pretty cool too!  s8) 8) s8)  I'm looking forward to trying mine out with the upgraded gearbox package.  s:) :) s:)

muffdan

Quote from: "loadswine"Oh, and the noise is pretty cool too!  s8) 8) s8)

I'll verify that! Sounds awesome; wish my car could be made to sound like that, especially in an alpine tunnel!

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

edward.carter

Quote from: "muffdan"
Quote from: "loadswine"Oh, and the noise is pretty cool too!  s8) 8) s8)

I'll verify that! Sounds awesome; wish my car could be made to sound like that, especially in an alpine tunnel!

Jason
+1
...actually +10000000

WillsSayers

This thready canny inspired me to get mine done. On the waiting list (have been for 3 weeks), so fingers crossed it'll be done towards the end of May........!

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

Tags: