V6 mk3 project thread ( vid added Page 8 + page 10)

Started by paul Woods, September 1, 2007, 14:37

paul Woods

ah theres numerous problems with using the 6 speed,its actually a wider (6th gear to bellhousing face) unit than the mk2 na box by 20mm.....add a 15mm adapter plate to that plus the v6's extra 10mm width and the engine no longer fits in the bay.So id need to rehang the gearbox on custom mounts,then id need to shorten the passenger driveshaft.

Good point on the starter,thats something i hadnt even considered,that would kill the idea off for good,theres very little chance of mounting the starter motor at all,which we kinda need!   s:D :D s:D  

Also id need to make a custom driveshaft support bracket to fit the v6.

If theres any possible way at all of using the 6 speeder i will look into it although at this point in time its looking very unlikely.

As nigel says its a trade off in amount of work,what you gain doing one thing (in this case just the shifter cables) you lose by having to do tons of other fabrication work.

I wont rule it out just yet though.

cdrskull

Awesome work this, great thread  :-) :-) :-)  . One defo to watch !

Are you the same Paul that bought some 2 mk3 panels off ebay a month ago ?

I will defo be calling you for a price on upgrading my engine be it by turbo or replacement once my cars back from painting  :-) :-) :-)

keep the pic's coming m8

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Builder
DNA 3Sixty Conversion
www.dnaoc.co.uk - Owners Club
www.bluepc.co.uk - Bolton PC Repairs (my new venture)

paul Woods

no mate that wasnt me im afraid and dont worry every pic will appear here until its completed

loadswine

Steve, this engine is a must for your 360 project. It has to be done mate.  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

paul Woods

ooh 360,love that kit...is there a build thread?

cdrskull

Quote from: "paul Woods"ooh 360,love that kit...is there a build thread?

Hi Paul, yeah it's  m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0 m

Its gone for paint at the mo, will be back in a week or two.  :-) :-) :-)

I still cant decided if to stick a turbo on it or replace the engine.  Watching this thread with great interest  :-) :-) :-)

cheers

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion
www.dnaoc.co.uk - Owners Club
www.bluepc.co.uk - Bolton PC Repairs (my new venture)

paul Woods

well im totally biased when it comes to engine choice....v6 everytime! i have to say though we get a lot of swaps to do on 355 replicas,ive two of them in the workshop at the moment.For me the v6 makes the ferrari reps special....but then i would say that!

Cracking build thread by the way

paul Woods

today we chopped out the rear brace and engine lid catch....

This will be replaced by stronger tubing running to the chassis in the same way plus an extra one running side to side.

Next it was time to stop messing around and get an engine in the hole.....for this excercise we used an old scrap v6 block,bolted a gearbox to it and slotted it under the car.....note these are not the units we will be using,oh no.

we have 10-15mm of clearance both sides....

Lots of room even with the lid shut...then we went a step further and fitted the shafts....

So all in all a good day really,it fits! there will be notching to do to the subframe around the diff but nothing hard... then when its in the right place we can work on the hundred little problems  s:) :) s:)

paul Woods

oh and its a 100% no go for the 6 speed box,i wouldnt have any of this engine bay clearance with it plus the starter motor would hit the exhaust....the flywheel wont work,nor will the clutch we have...and add to that node on the mr2board blew one to bits after a week on the v6.

This set up will work and is the easiest route for me.

markiii

Quote from: "paul Woods"This set up is the easiest route for me.

shame on you Paul thast not teh TB spirit  :-) :-) :-)

seriously nice one matey
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

paul Woods

i know mate im a disgrace to the club lol

spit

Looks almost made-to-measure Paul - nicely done.

Whats access like to the rear bank of three?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

markiii

reckon that will have to be cut teh rear firewall time
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

paul Woods

i will need to make an access panel under the parcel shelf to be able to get access to the spark plugs,nothing too hard.

aaronjb

Quote from: "paul Woods"nothing too hard.

I get the impression you'd say that about just about anything, Paul  s;) ;) s;)

I'd kill to have skills like yours, seriously  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

loadswine

That is superb stuff. Firewall + plasma cutter= access + PW fun time   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I am very relieved to see that it all goes in. One well chuffed bunny here at the moment. You see it sitting there in the right place nestling with a half inch clearance either end and marvel at it.  s:D :D s:D  
When that plasma cutter is let loose, it doesn't pay to be a squeamish owner. If stuff is in the way, it has to go.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
The driveshafts don't line up badly either by the look of it.
Top stuff!  s8) 8) s8)

paul Woods

cheers aaron although its no big deal really,we just mess about with power tools   s:D :D s:D  everyone has their own kung fu i guess,id kill to be able to design websites and know wtf's going on inside my pc lol

Yeah the shafts dont look too bad at all nigel! thats the long shaft fitted of course,just for alignment....im still going to try and get the celica supported shaft in there once the engines hung but if it cant be done then this shaft set up will do grand.If anything this proves how compact a unit the v6 really is,what i mean is a 3s-gte wont do this without notching the rails or at least one rail.

I spotted another slight issue with the oil filter,it wont come off   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ,so a relocation kit is the way forward....also i may make a recess in the drivers rear strut tower where the cambelt cover sits,at the moment it wouldnt remove with the engine in situ,im trying to make this as user friendly as possible...and doing the cambelt in situ is quite important.If it cant be done then the engine would need dropping down off its mounts for belt changes and i want to try to avoid that.Failing that i might redesign the cambelt cover so it removes from the rear and splits apart in two halves.....we shall see!

aaronjb

I'd be interested to see what your relocation kit looks like, Paul  s:) :) s:)  I've been thinking about doing that on my car (the aftermarket bracing is.. well - touching, the oil filter.. clattery clattery).

Now if I could just learn to weld...   s:D :D s:D
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

kanujunkie

perhaps its time we look at getting that welder Aaron, was talking with Mark about it again the other day  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

It would make some things a lot easier  s:) :) s:)  Like tacking the brace mounts onto the exhaust flange..

philster_d

+1 for the relocation kit

loadswine

The kit is on these links:
 m http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 81928&rd=1 m

m http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... R40QQfviZ1 m
There are kits on Uk ebay, but not sure of fitment, so I've emailed the US for confirmation and to put the order in.

paul Woods

Today i spent ages getting the engine in the right location,but to get it correct left to right meant having the suspension back on so the hubs were held in place....this means refitting the subframe.Now its the one area thats going to foul the diff area of the gearbox so we marked off the offending area and cut it out with the plasma.....

This hole will now be braced up internally then the wound seam welded up with thicker plates and extra strengthening added later on,shouldnt be any weaker,if anything stronger than before.

So with the engine sitting exactly right i started on the left side mount,a combination of mk3 mount and mk2 mount with joining plates between....here is the mk2 side and the mk3 side....

And then i cut out two 5mm thick plates to join the two together,even made templates for future mounts....

Once holes were drilled in the plates i welded them to the mk2 mount....

So thats the left mount done,it needs reshaping and profiling to make it more pleasing to look at but it mechanically works and strong as hell.

This bolts to the mk3 mount but needs a longer bolt because the plates dont hug the mount,they need a 10mm spacer each side of the mount.The reason for this is if id welded them flush to the mk3 mount you would never be able to remove the mount from the gearbox because the plates would be over the top of the bolts holding it to the gearbox.

1 mount done,3 to go....

loadswine

Wow, engine mounts started!   s8) 8) s8)  Mega stuff.
The notching of the subframe is interesting, but can see why it needed a bit of alteration, I need some sort of diff!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
I reckon that frame member will look pretty good when its finished off and painted. They always look naff as standard anyway.
I think this lot might need a 4 wheel laser alignment at the end .  s:) :) s:)  
Just love the way each detail is thought through, when you buy a car, you have no idea why the designer did this or that, but with this swap, even I can understand.

paul Woods

yep everything will be painted on final assembly and made to look pretty,this is just the bare guts stage of making the engine hang in the bay so everything looks raw....it will get some finese about it once the mounts are done.

You shouldnt need the alignment doing nige ,i marked the position of the track adjuster bolts before removal.

I will be doing the drivers mount today which is a biggy,lots of fab work on that side but once thats done the engine will be hanging on its own.

Tags: