Exhaust Manifold (Header)

Started by wbarrwebster, September 1, 2007, 23:10

wbarrwebster

Having had the car now for about four of months decided to get rid of the pre cats as has been suggested, my feelings were if I was paying to have the  manifold  coming off I wanted to do something more than just "pull out" the Precats.

I obviously looked at the CHE Manifold but although it gets rave reviews being a tight Scot I searched for ideally a cheaper alternative,( accepting that I could get bitten in the arse!)  
Cut a long story short I purchased a  Yank Manifiold from FD Trendy (I think they also go under the name Trendy Mens, would you believe)

It was advertised Stainless T304 with Mandrel Piping(?) but at £104 14 to  my door I didn't know what to expect with 3 months warranty.
Anyway had it fitted this week, the garage said that apart from having the slightly alter the top fixed nuts for the heat shield everything was ok.

Am not making any fantastic claims here, just advising members... So far, so good, albeit very early days.....

It claims the usual 10-15bhp power increase which I take with a pinch.....  
The Precats were okay on the old manifold...and I'm just happy they're gone.
If anyone's interested, I'll update as times goes on...
Barry W
W. B. Webster

ChrisGB

Looks identical to the Che one as far as I can see. Should be good for up to 147bhp with other choice mods.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

mr2jw

similar to some others on ebay.

was just going to get the pre cats out but if these headers are ok i may as well change it.
black 2000 roadster | devs keyhole covers | devs tbl visor | pre-cats removed | crystal side repeaters with chrome surrounds | lt short antenna | jdm front badge | jdm wheel centres | mr2roc sticker |
and lots more to do!

Anonymous

I believe all the ebay headers are trd copies exactly the same as the Che, just different sellers.
Just remember Che has a proven track record both here and on SC, in fact he has replaced faulty headers foc months after he sold them.
Doubt any of the other sellers would do that.

Anonymous

Tight Scot - No Joking - you though a £130 header which give between 5 and 10bhp was too expensive   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

wbarrwebster

Nelix,

I agree CHE has a track record, as I said, making no claims,  just advising members. At the price of £104 delivered, I doubt the guy could afford to  replace it! I'm in here with my eyes wide open....I'm the guinea pig and it's costing members nought!

Simon,

£130 header, I assume you mean the CHE? The last time I looked the CHE was £185 delivered, I obviously got that wrong! To be honest at £130 I would probably bought the CHE, more fool me!!

My main motivation was to rid myself of the precats, thought about doing it myself but realised I could be in the sh+t  if I broke a bolt.
Okay, so I'm now gonna pay someone to do it . Given that the manifold is coming off, why not experiment with a new inexpensive manifold that  just MIGHT be abit more efficient.
I was fully prepared for the garage to tell me the bolts wouldn't align or that the welds had broken on fitting, actually had a contingency plan.

My 2 ain't going on the track, and while it's  true I'd like her to be a wee bit quicker than stock,  I ain't attempting to outpace anyone on the road ( are you listening Shelley?!)  If I pull another 5bhp it will be a bonus!
My messing with a cheap Exhaust Manifold is costing members nothing and while I accept that the longevity of the part is vital in the evaluation, so far so good, albeit very early days.....
If, at the end of the day, if I can give members an relatively inexpensive  option other than just  gutting their precats, surely that can't be bad?        
Sorry this was so long...if you fell asleep, I understand, I almost did!

Barry W
W. B. Webster

Anonymous

Ad a bit more money and go for PPE methinks, you get no precat issues, plus increase in performance.  Che's only replaces the header, with no increase in power.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dangly"Ad a bit more money and go for PPE methinks, you get no precat issues, plus increase in performance.  Che's only replaces the header, with no increase in power.

This is really only good if you're planning on going further with your N/A mods imo. If it's just precat gutting you're worried about, stick with the TRD design as it's bolt up and utilizes the stock 02 sensors with no fuss. The potential gain from a PPE header only is negligible for that price difference. Not to mention that you are obligated to buy a downpipe or hi flow cat, which adds cost, and main cat removal might not be something everyones into. If they were, a Che header to another dowpipe would make nearly equal power for less cash.

ChrisGB

Another vote for the PPE header and high flow cat for me. Mine now clocks 157bhp (with a Che exhaust). Evidence indicates you will get a maximum of 147bhp with the Che or TRD manifold even with different exhaust, unichip etc.

If it is just about getting the precats out, I would gut the stock manifold or go Che for a prettier solution.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tags: