£240 for a key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Anonymous, September 19, 2007, 12:27

Anonymous

Hi I have had my 51 plate mr-2 for a week now I think its great fun to drive and even comfortable on a long journey 400 miles.  s8) 8) s8)  
I bought it on ebay even though it was 400miles away just looking at the pictures and talking to the owner on the phone, the car has only done 32000 miles.
However so far this week I have had one of the o2 sensors replaced £305
I am having the pre cats taken out on Monday £............
This is all ok when you get a car you have to get it spot on and to your liking. But the car only came with one key Toyota say the reg number is not on there computer and I will have to pay £240 for a new key: cry:  can anyone help.

Anonymous

OUCH! If it's not on their computer could that mean it's an import?

As far as the sensor is concerned, have a search for Gendan on this site. They sell the sensors for a fraction of MrT and they are relatively simple to fit (just in case you have another one fail).

Chris_h

Its probably a parallel EU import - bought from somewhere like Motorpoint in the UK which sold loads of them.

Is that the reason why the key is so expensive?
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

carl_evs

They dont have mine on record either - but it's not an import?!
Possible balls up by Toyota somewhere??

I still get all the usual junk Toyota send you...before i ever went into a dealer?!
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

darrenjuggins

The Keys are expensive!

I have all three of mine (you should have also got a valet key).

My original one, i've been using for 7 years now, the back went once, got that replaced....

but now the front has a crack on it, rang up expecting, just to change the shell, but oh, no... it's a new key!

the shank, apparently is embedded into the top of the key, thus it's a key replacement at £180 (Lincoln Toyota), so a saving of £70 over your dealer!

so maybe, ring lincoln and get a price match at your place.

Cheers
Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Darren,

look on ebay for a new toyota two button key shell. the front of my old key cracked -  just swapped the immobiliser unit into a new body and got the new key blade cut to suit .

Total cost £15 inc new key cutting.

darrenjuggins

Nice one Simon
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Thanks for all your replies
I just got back from London got a new key sorted for £90  s:D :D s:D  
 m http://www.autolocks.biz/AboutUs.htm m .
My car is a UK car but it has had private plates in the past, but I would have thought Toyota would be able to make a key using the chassis number?

Chris

hmm, due to getting very drunk on thursday night and walking around peckham looking like an easy target, i got attacked and lost my keys among other things, so it looks like i'll be going down the replacement key route.  I'll get a quote from those guys and see how it goes...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Paulpickerill

Quote from: "icetchae"My car is a UK car but it has had private plates in the past, but I would have thought Toyota would be able to make a key using the chassis number?

My 2 is on it's third plate (2 private plates from the (same!) previous owner).

It is still on MrT's database under the original number.

paul

Tags: