Aaron gets blown (or, the Top Secret Turbo Kit thread)

Started by aaronjb, September 21, 2007, 10:47

Slacey

Quote from: "aaronjb"...right now it's actually a little embarassing when you're trying to just pootle through town - there's no way to do it quietly anymore  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
LOL, how do you think I feel  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Actually, it's not usually a bad thing, most people smile when they see me - after first hearing me coming their way.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "aaronjb"Yep - a little..

Actually quite a lot.  s8) 8) s8)

I think you'll be happy with the noise levels once the turbo is on.

I think so too - right now it's fun if you're tearing down country lanes, but the commute to work is a little .. deafening.

I think the entire office heard me come into the underground carpark today  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  'though it probably didn't help that I did a WOT flyby down the length of the carpark  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"I did a WOT flyby down the length of the carpark  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Enjoy it while you can, you can't do long WOT runs with the turbo, or you'll end up going wayyyy too fast for most places.  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"Enjoy it while you can, you can't do long WOT runs with the turbo, or you'll end up going wayyyy too fast for most places.  s;) ;) s;)

Given how short our carpark is, I very nearly buried myself in the end wall as it was  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

spit

Hooligan!

So have you got the other gauges ready to fit Aaron? Now might be a good time if its the stuff you don't enjoy doing ... and then the Turbo install will be a breeze.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

aaronjb

Unfortunately no - I only have the XD-16..

Oh, actually I do have the AVC-R, so I might tackle that another weekend - another job I'm not looking forward to  s;) ;) s;)

At least it gave me a chance to hoover my passenger footwell, I suppose!

loadswine

That exhaust did look the biz, and sound extremely fruity as well.
Beautifully made gear that you're using on this Aaron.  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

heathstimpson

Is it louder than the Hass one Aaron  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

markiii

yep  :-) :-) :-)  but oh my god are tunnels hilarious  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Is it louder than the Hass one Aaron  s:?: :?: s:?:

Oh yes - lots (with no turbo in there to silence it) - it's actually deafening inside the car..

It sounds incredible when you're giving it full beans, but it's quite tiring the rest of the time - it's slowed me down on the motorway for sure, no way I can cruise over 80 now!

heathstimpson

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"Is it louder than the Hass one Aaron  s:?: :?: s:?:

Oh yes - lots (with no turbo in there to silence it) - it's actually deafening inside the car..

It sounds incredible when you're giving it full beans, but it's quite tiring the rest of the time - it's slowed me down on the motorway for sure, no way I can cruise over 80 now!
Now that's very loud  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"no way I can cruise over 80 now!
s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  I always cruise at 70, should that be a 7 instead of an 8 Aaron  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

aaronjb

Quote from: "FGRob"
Quote from: "aaronjb"no way I can cruise over 80 now!
s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  I always cruise at 70, should that be a 7 instead of an 8 Aaron  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Uh.. yes.. I mean.. 70..  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

kanujunkie

that slow?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "kanujunkie"that slow?
Max speed in this country young Stu   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

You try sitting in it cruising any faster   s:P :P s:P  Honestly it makes yours, Mark's and Heath's all sound like grocery getters...

heathstimpson

Quote from: "aaronjb"

You try sitting in it cruising any faster   s:P :P s:P  Honestly it makes yours, Mark's and Heath's all sound like grocery getters...
s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Cannot believe that its that loud  s:? :? s:?

Tem

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Cannot believe that its that loud  s:? :? s:?

It really is.  s:D :D s:D  

Of course the turbo will silence it quite a lot, remember he doesn't have it on yet.  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Having heard this exhaust today, I can indeed confirm that it sounds like Godzilla on steroids.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Ekona"Having heard this exhaust today, I can indeed confirm that it sounds like Godzilla on steroids.
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  That is loud indeedy. I bet Aaron is acring all his local neighbours  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

Well the PFC went in this weekend and it seems to be working just fine - knock stays under 25 (then again, the intake temp also stays below about 11C in this weather!) and it's got a decent pickup to it.

For some reason, though, it's idling at about 10:1 AFR (even when warm) and  it's around that AFR at cruise too, so there's something a little off there.  The fuel map is pretty rich, too, but not that rich - so something is up with the idle settings I'd guess.

I'd look into it more, but the LC-1 decided to stop working half way home tonight, and now all the XD-16 guage displays is "-.-.-"  s:( :( s:(  I'll have to check the wiring tomorrow morning before I go to work - that'll be a fun job, I'm sure (especially if it snows more!)

Anonymous

Hi, Aaron.  I decided to post over here for a change.  I think the reason load went offscale and AFR was rich all along was the Apexi intake.

aaronjb

Hey Beanie - I just replied 'over there'  s:) :) s:)

Well, the turbo kit has finally seen an engine!

Unfortunately, only a mockup engine.. but, well.. one step nearer - and at least we've figured out how to fit the chargecooler in, and more or less what to do about bracing.

Here it is, in all it's glory:

Now.. I need to fab a heatshield of some form, I think, to go over the manifold (though it's such a shame to hide a work of art like that!), and a brace to go between the turbo and the block.

The chargecooler will be cut-n-shut into the long pipe that runs along the back of the engine, and I may squeeze a BOV fitting in between the MAF location and throttlebody inlet - or run BOV-less.. one or the other.

The Moroso pan also went on this weekend (no pictures of that - it's not very exciting to look at  s:) :) s:) ), so the Rear Lower Cross Brace had to come off as the pan gets in the way of where that needs to go  s:( :( s:(

Tem

So THAT's how it looks like without the IC.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

ChrisGB

Quote from: "aaronjb"The Moroso pan also went on this weekend (no pictures of that - it's not very exciting to look at  s:) :) s:) ), so the Rear Lower Cross Brace had to come off as the pan gets in the way of where that needs to go  s:( :( s:(

That is a bit inconvenient! I thought the bracing was designed to fit the Moroso equipped car? Still waiting for a response to the question of having one that clears the oil filter.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tags: