Aaron gets blown (or, the Top Secret Turbo Kit thread)

Started by aaronjb, September 21, 2007, 10:47

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"bugger, i'm away or i'd come give you a hand   s:( :( s:(

Bah, I demand you cancel your plans!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Hopefully it'll just be 1 day fitting, with potentially another day fettling the tune because the MAF tube size changes along with the injector size..

Need to fit the boost controller as well, though - that will be a pain.  Could definitely have used your sparky skills there  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

done, when we going over to Marks then for another get together?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

SimonC_Here

That'll be the 16th!

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Simon

kanujunkie

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"That'll be the 16th!

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Simon

meant to be working but i wonder if i can get it off, boss owes me a couple of days
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"done, when we going over to Marks then for another get together?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Well I'm there on Saturday  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  You didn't think I was going to fit my turbo on my back in the carpark, did you?  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

uktotty

Dont forget Stu if you get bored you are supposed to be fitting my Springs with Aaron at some point too as to not feel left out  s:) :) s:)

heathstimpson

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"bugger, i'm away or i'd come give you a hand   s:( :( s:(

Bah, I demand you cancel your plans!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Hopefully it'll just be 1 day fitting, with potentially another day fettling the tune because the MAF tube size changes along with the injector size..

Need to fit the boost controller as well, though - that will be a pain.  Could definitely have used your sparky skills there  s:) :) s:)
Or mine  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

aaronjb

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Or mine  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Help is always appreciated  s:) :) s:)

The plan is now for Sunday at Mark's.. I'm going to see if I can't get some bits done on Saturday round mine to prepare, but most of the work will be Sunday..

[edit] Mind we should probably check with Mark before everyone descends on his house on Sunday..  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I left you guys at about 5pm and still no sign of a post... Either it's going really well or really bad, I hope it's the former!

I'll let Aaron do a proper explanation, but I'll tell you this much: Installed, it's a seriously impressive piece of kit and very well engineered. Also, Aaron spent the whole day getting covered in oil  s;) ;) s;)

Liz

Quote from: "Ekona"Also, Aaron spent the whole day getting covered in oil  s;) ;) s;)

Baby oil??  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ...oooohhhhh
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

aaronjb

Quote from: "Liz"Baby oil??  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ...oooohhhhh

Indeed - I was oiled all over! Like ROCs answer to a Chippendale.. almost.

Well - I'll do a proper post tomorrow but it's in and running, and running well.

Considering there's no form of charge cooling right now (so I see intake temperatures of >60C on a 3C evening!) and I'm pulling an absolutel buttload of timing because of that, this thing pulls like a train!

The exhaust is suddenly quite tame - lovely crackle when you're at full tilt, but actually quieter than the TTE when you're cruising (I found the TTE with gutted manifold had quite a drone to it).

There seems to be zero turbo lag at wastegate boost - I mean, none at all.  If you get off the throttle or you're just tickling it and get on it, the power is right there along with a lovely sucking noise  s:D :D s:D   As Mark found, it's really easy to balance it on the throttle - in boost - while going around roundabouts  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

This kit is awesome.  Absolutely awesome.

Two downers on the day - I've no idea what boost I'm running because we couldn't get the AVC-R wired in fully (pressure sensor problems), and we didn't get the manifold brace fitted yet  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  as long as it lasts a week till next weekend, we're good!

Pics on Mark's camera (and Dan's iPhone), so I'll get those posted as soon as he sends me the pics  s:) :) s:)

ChrisGB

Does that mean the ringing in your ears is replaced by a whistling?

Look forward to seeing it!

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

heathstimpson

Welcome to the club matey  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

markiii

have to say

not only is the build quality fabulous, but just as Aaron said she drives beautifully

no lag at all, throttle response is superb (may be down to teh PFC)

and the power, my god at 10psi and chargecooled this is going to be hilarious  :-) :-) :-)

and exhaust wise it's teh best sounding roadster Turbo yet
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Does that mean the ringing in your ears is replaced by a whistling?

Yep - I no longer go deaf on long drives  s:) :) s:)

There is definitely still tuning to be done - when warm it won't hold onto an idle properly (I suspect that's the injector lag settings), but the rest of the map is pretty much spot-on AFR wise, maybe needs a couple of degrees timing pulling in places - unsurprising given the intake temps, but other than that..

I'm in love all over again! (With my car)

(And you, if you're reading this  s;) ;) s;) )

It's awesome - I keep wanting other cars to try it on now, just so I can get a feel for how it compares   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

SimonC_Here

I'll give you a go when mine is done!  s:) :) s:)   s;) ;) s;)

Simon

spit

Great to see its all coming together Aaron, good work guys.

Enjoy the thrust  s:P :P s:P
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"I'm in love all over again! (With my car)

(And you, if you're reading this  s;) ;) s;) )

s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  x

Quote from: "aaronjb"It's awesome - I keep wanting other cars to try it on now, just so I can get a feel for how it compares   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

You have another car..... fix it    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  (or give me the bits   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D   )

aaronjb

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"I'll give you a go when mine is done!  s:) :) s:)   s;) ;) s;)

You'll win, I suspect  s;) ;) s;)  You have chargecooling and I don't.. now, maybe if I get the water injection fitted in time.. but I suspect not given the timescale for yours  s:D :D s:D

Quote from: "spit"Enjoy the thrust  s:P :P s:P

I do enjoy a good thrusting!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Quote from: "miss_grumpy"You have another car..... fix it    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  (or give me the bits   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D   )

Cheeky mare :p Keep your hands off my [car] bits..  s;) ;) s;)  And I will get it fixed - just as soon as I get the bits to fix it, and can find the time to get it up to Mark's  s:) :) s:)

Speaking of which.. Mark, you got those pictures off your camera yet?  s:) :) s:)

markiii

pics on the way bud
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Pics, courtesy of Mark's camera, and Dan's dodgy photography (apologies for the blurryness!)

Full gallery here

(Click these for larger pics)

Clearance is a bit tight here! Might need to modify the chassis rail with a lump hammer and 2x4:

Anonymous

One! Just one blurry picture, and you pick up on it! *sulks*

Actually, that's all the pics you're going to get as all the ones of you covered in oil came out blurry as hell 'cos I was laughing too much  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

Quote from: "Ekona"One! Just one blurry picture, and you pick up on it! *sulks*

One? They all look like they were taken by someone going through withdrawl   s:P :P s:P  

QuoteActually, that's all the pics you're going to get as all the ones of you covered in oil came out blurry as hell 'cos I was laughing too much  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Shame - miss_grumpy probably would have enjoyed that one..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

loadswine

That looks mighty Aaron, so pleased you've got this fitted, well at least Stage one anyway.
You really must let someone else catch all the gunge in the pit!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

northernalex

Been following this quietly and ... nice one!!! From what you say it sounds fantastic and will be silly with a chargecooler and 10psi!!! very jelous!

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Tags: