Aaron gets blown (or, the Top Secret Turbo Kit thread)

Started by aaronjb, September 21, 2007, 10:47

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"I did wonder if there'd be more lag from the plain bearing.

I'm sure there is a difference, there kinda has to be, but it's just fractions of seconds. Would be interesting to try a BB turbo to see if you could notice any difference.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"I'm sure there is a difference, there kinda has to be, but it's just fractions of seconds. Would be interesting to try a BB turbo to see if you could notice any difference.  s8) 8) s8)

I'll just pinch Mark's when he's not looking  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Although getting to some of the bolts with it all in the car will be a nightmare I feel - especially one of the dump-pipe bolts, as you can't get the nut on if you fully seat it against the turbo as it is - you have to put the dump pipe on just enough to get the nut on, and then seat it, or the nut just hits the pipework.  Masterstroke of design, that bit  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"Although getting to some of the bolts with it all in the car will be a nightmare I feel - especially one of the dump-pipe bolts, as you can't get the nut on if you fully seat it against the turbo as it is - you have to put the dump pipe on just enough to get the nut on, and then seat it, or the nut just hits the pipework.  Masterstroke of design, that bit  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

It's actually quite easy to remove the whole thing, just undo the 5 manifold/head nuts and 3 downpipe/exhaust bolts...and of course the intake pipes and you can lift the whole package up.  s;) ;) s;)

aaronjb

Actually fair point - it's quite self contained if you pull it all as a unit  s:) :) s:)

The turbo is a lot heavier than I remember turbos being mind.. either that or I'm getting weaker  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

loadswine

Its cos the turbo housing is made from Kryptonite and its sapping your powers Aaron.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

kanujunkie

ok then Aaron, when are we getting together to fit it?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

she looks a beaut though matey, the build quality looks second to none
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

Not for a little while yet I reckon - though you're welcome to come over for a look at it if you want  s;) ;) s;)

I still need to get the remaining bits yet - PWR barrel, injectors, wideband, datalogit (there's one on eBay - no sod better buy it!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) etc.. I mean - I could throw it on with no intercooling, stock injectors and the PFC if I had the wideband..

tonigmr2

Oooh that manifold is a work of art....!  What power does the kit claim?
T
Yellow 55 with hardtop and aircon!

aaronjb

It doesn't claim any, but should make good power..

Tem

Dyno claims +250whp @ 10psi.  s8) 8) s8)

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"Dyno claims +250whp @ 10psi.  s8) 8) s8)

I can live with that  s;) ;) s;)

For now..

heathstimpson

That does look like a quality bit of kit indeedy  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

markiii

reckon thats goin to be a £4.5K kit when finished though   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Easily... I should add up what it's all cost me at some point, but I don't want to scare myself.

Incidentally - I'm now also the proud owner of a Datalogit to go with the PFC  s:) :) s:)

markiii

and a moroso plan I beleve  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

heathstimpson

Quote from: "markiii"and a moroso plan I beleve  :-) :-) :-)
Looks like only the best will do for our Aaron  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

aaronjb

Quote from: "heathstimpson"

Well, in for a penny and all that  s;) ;) s;)  If I'm spending nearly £3k on the turbo and a few bits of pipe, I might as well blow some more on a few sheets of ally welded together  s;) ;) s;)

scottish_turbo

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"

Well, in for a penny and all that  s;) ;) s;)  If I'm spending nearly £3k on the turbo and a few bits of pipe, I might as well blow some more on a few sheets of ally welded together  s;) ;) s;)

It looks so good though you have to have 1. It's just a shame you can't see it once it's on the car.

aaronjb

Ooh an update.. not exactly 'turbo kit' related, but as the kit is pretty useless without some kind of engine management..

I invested in a secondhand 1ZZ PFC + commander from the US, which arrived a little while ago, then added to that a secondhand Datalogit box and a copy of Kevin Beanes Copilot software.

It's been sitting around for a little while now, so I thought I'd see if it actually worked this afternoon  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Good news is, it does! And, after fixing the injector sizes (it's clearly been on a turbo'd car, as the injector size correction was set to 48%) it even idled smooth as silk.  Datalogit, Copilot and FC-Edit all worked as expected, too:

Copilot being a dashboard - hmm.. Carputer?  s;) ;) s;)

PFC Commander showing realtime data in 8ch mode:

It even does realtime graphing - less useful right now, but perhaps useful if I get it to read a boost module:

I've removed it again for the time being - a) so I can get my immobiliser back, and b) I need to compare the maps in the PFC to a base 1ZZ map and get the maps back to a sane place for an NA car.. then I think I might as well sling the PFC in and run with it for a while  s;) ;) s;)  Get some road tuning done with Copilot and see just how much advance I can run..

philster_d

Shame we never got time to show you the odbc bluetooth stuff, I may also end up with a semi carputer like setup displaying the extra ecu info (pocket pc based)

aaronjb

So, I succumbed today:

3729 Heat Sink Bung Extender  £66.00
3736 Stainless Bung and Plug kit   £6.00
3781 XD-16 Standalone Gauge Kit (16 in 1) £239.00

Prices aren't too bad buying locally, so for once I'm not actually importing something from the US :icon_lol:

This will go in with the PFC once it arrives, and I'll work with it while NA for a while - I'll call it the LordTakuban method of going turbo  s;) ;) s;)

[edit] The LT bit made more sense on SpyderChat - LT did the W/B O2 + PFC while NA, before adding a PE turbo.. so I'm rather following in his footsteps  s:) :) s:)

aaronjb

Damn that's service - ordered Sunday evening, arrived today!

The guage - very pretty, changeable faces (you can program it to read other things) and there's a silver bezel included too:

The sensor, controller, two O2 bungs (mostly for the stoppers!) and the O2 heat shield as the sensor is right next to the turbo outlet and it's only rated for <1300*F:

spynish

Hi Aaron,

Do you think that gauge will fit nicely in front of the rpm stock gauge or is too big?

aaronjb

That's where Corky and.. someone else (I forget who) have theirs fitted - it obscures <500rpm, but nothing else..

Personally I don't like the 'guages stuck to my guages' look though, so I'm going to put it in a navpod for now (or a Greggs guage pod, when he releases the RHD one!) - may move it to the front of the glovebox however, as I might put a carpc screen in the navpod instead..

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "spynish"Hi Aaron,

Do you think that gauge will fit nicely in front of the rpm stock gauge or is too big?

You mean like this

I like it, but not everyones' taste.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: