Aaron gets blown (or, the Top Secret Turbo Kit thread)

Started by aaronjb, September 21, 2007, 10:47

markiii

the bend ended up fitting perfectly  :-) :-) :-)  with no rubbing

however it's so close to teh turbo that the first test run almost caused it to catch fire  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

I believe our words were "can you smell burning?", "Yeah.. oh it's gone now, must be from someone else.."
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

aaronjb

Well as I think I posted elsewhere, I lost all four manifold->turbo nuts the other week, and one of the replacements kept insisting on dropping off, so..

This weekend I went up to Mark's, and we spent some of the day removing the manifold, turbo and downpipe (actually quite a quick process, all told) because I knew I'd blown out the gasket.

I didn't think it was this bad, however:

Yes, that's all that was left of the gasket. Half of it. Whoops. Still, I guess when you're popping flames out of the leak, that's not surprising!

We replaced the four nuts after tightening the studs, and added Nissan locking plates (standard fit on the SR20DET & VG30DETT engines) to stop the nuts backing off), and while the turbo was off I also took the opportunity to wind some preload back onto the actuator to help it build boost more quickly and hit a higher peak.

I'm now seeing a peak of 10psi, and I'm using the boost controller to ramp boost as quickly as possibly by holding the pressure off the actuator completely until ~4000rpm.

Shiznit it got fast. Even 6th gear is turning into a pretty rapid gear.. 1st & 2nd are brutal, 3rd and 4th are pretty awesome, 5th and 6th are rapid. 80-100 happens very fast, even in 6th (hey, sometimes you need to escape BMW-idiot).

It now needs;

More ignition advance off-boost.
Less fuel on-boost (10:1 is far too rich for this engine).
Zero cam overlap >4000rpm and a properly set up VVT map.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"I'm now seeing a peak of 10psi, and I'm using the boost controller to ramp boost as quickly as possibly by holding the pressure off the actuator completely until ~4000rpm.

How did you do that?  s:D :D s:D

QuoteMore ignition advance off-boost.

I was basically using the N/A map that came with the PFC for off-boost cells.

QuoteLess fuel on-boost (10:1 is far too rich for this engine).

WHOA! That really is way too rich. Try some 11.5 if you want to be on the safe side. Or some 12.5 if you want to go for the power.  s;) ;) s;)  I think your CC should keep the temps low enough to handle that just fine.

QuoteZero cam overlap >4000rpm and a properly set up VVT map.

Overlap actually helps the turbo to spool up earlier and make more power with higher revs. Might wanna try leaving some overlap instead of taking it all away.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Looks like you are making progress!    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

MR2 super GT

Hey Aaron
what way do you have the flow of water going through the CC?

do you think it would make a difference if you had a parallel flow with the air intake compared to a counter flow?

or does the air go through it that fast it wouldnt make a difference?
when I\'m not in traction, I\'m in action

Tem

Quote from: "MR2 super GT"Hey Aaron
what way do you have the flow of water going through the CC?

do you think it would make a difference if you had a parallel flow with the air intake compared to a counter flow?

or does the air go through it that fast it wouldnt make a difference?

I've read that it should flow against the airflow. Here's the reasoning why.

1) Both flowing in the same direction. When hot air enters the cooler, it meets cold water and cools down. As it advances, the air keeps getting cooler while the water keeps getting hotter. In the end the air has cooled down some, but the water is too warm to cool the air anymore.

2) Water flowing against the air. When hot air enters the cooler, it meets warm water, which is still a lot cooler than hot air, which cools down. As it advances, the cooler air keeps getting colder water, which keeps cooling the air even more, cause the temperature difference stays bigger for longer than in 1).

No idea how big that difference is in degrees though.

MR2 super GT

thanks TEM I has suspected that was the best way but was not sure

aaronjb

My spokesman has already spoken, I see..   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Yeah - that's the way round we have mine plumbed, too, and the way the guy who runs chargecooler.co.uk reccommends too.

aaronjb

Oh - I put the track wheels on the car yesterday.. here seems as good a place as any to photo-whore:

MR2 super GT

looking tasty aaron, hows the whole set up going for you?  have you had it on the rollers ?

aaronjb

Nope, it's not been on the rollers.. it's working OK aside from the few teething troubles it's had, pulls well and makes good power.. I'd say not as much as the Hass/C2 at the moment but that's down to the tune being overly conservative.

It's probably not going to make it onto the rollers, though.. 'life' is happening at an alarming rate at the moment, so there's a very good chance it'll be back to stock and everything will be getting sold off before it's next MOT in April.

Anonymous

looks great, but just wish you'd get that 'ding' on the offside rear sorted   s:D :D s:D  
I've just been 'carparked', dent and scuff, no problem mate, 75 quid, so in it goes on Monday (the dent man comes in on Mondays and Fridays).

aaronjb

Oh there's more than just the one ding - there's two in the rear arch and a big crease in the door that you can't see in the photo.. someone decided to 'touch park' next to me in an NCP in Sheffield.. it took them three attempts, but I presume they managed it in the end.

Anonymous

Lifes a bitch   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

Thought it was about time I resurrected this..

One new minor snag - another nut has dropped off the turbo->downpipe joint (silly spring washers).. still, that's not so bad - I'd fix that right now if it wasn't for the fact it's all roasting hot and it'd melt my fingers  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

custardavenger

Time for some locking wire then?
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

aaronjb

Nah I'll just replace the plain nuts with .. erm.. I forget the name, but I have a bag of 'em somewhere  s:) :) s:)   This is the first time the turbo->downpipe ones have moved in probably 20,000 miles (unlike the manifold->turbo ones that came off every 5,000 until I added the Nissan locking plates)  s:) :) s:)

Hopefully I've caught it before it blew a hole in the gasket, but we'll see.. if not I'll have some fiddly-ass nuts to undo tomorrow!

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"another nut has dropped off the turbo->downpipe joint

Interesting. I just noticed I seem to have a leak somewhere from the sound and noticed 3 of those nuts were gone and the 4th was loose.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

That was roughly a week ago. And I'm pretty sure it was cause by excessive backpressure (or the heat related to it), cause they were there few days earlier when I put one of these in:
 m http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-MM-JD ... ccessories m

aaronjb

Interesting theory Tem - I've not done anything to mine recently, though, so I suspect it's just down to heat cycles - either that or the gasket has broken down (which leads to the joint going loose, of course).  Fortunately that's the easy joint to get to!

(BTW, I've been looking for a bung like that for ages.. nice find  s:) :) s:) )

aaronjb

So.. what I thought was a blown gasket turned out to be this:

In case you can't spot it - that's a split weld in the manifold and it's almost 100% in two halves there.  In fact, looking at it from more angles, it looks like the pipes no longer quite line up so I wonder if repeated heat cycles have relieved some stresses and eventually the stress overcame the weld.

Either way I'm now driving around with a stock manifold and Top Secret exhaust (which has essentially no silencer) which is insanely loud, oh and no power because the timing is still all retarded & rich with the 'turbo' tune in the PFC..

ChrisGB

The way that has parted company, it looks like it was under stress when it was made and has found a way to settle. Any way of setting it up with a cast manifold? I have seen them for sale for the 1zz somewhere, but cannot recall where.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"Either way I'm now driving around with a stock manifold and Top Secret exhaust (which has essentially no silencer) which is insanely loud, oh and no power because the timing is still all retarded & rich with the 'turbo' tune in the PFC..

I tried it once too and I'm not sure the Top Secret exhaust actually has a silencer or a loudener.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

You could just use the default PFC map, if you have your tune saved with Datalogit..

Quote from: "ChrisGB"The way that has parted company, it looks like it was under stress when it was made and has found a way to settle. Any way of setting it up with a cast manifold? I have seen them for sale for the 1zz somewhere, but cannot recall where.

You can get the cast manifolds from eBay. You'd need a custom downpipe to go with it and change the air piping too. And it looks like it would actually be worse, though it might last forever.

It's easy to reweld the TS manifold though, anyone with the skills&equipment should be able to do it. I'd go for that and I did when mine cracked..  s8) 8) s8)

Wabbitkilla

Ouch .... and there i thought the TS manifold was such a work of art!

Looks like the tansion has won the day there, but getting it cleaned up and welded again should sort it as the tension will have gone out of th joint when it's re-wenlded.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: