Aaron gets blown (or, the Top Secret Turbo Kit thread)

Started by aaronjb, September 21, 2007, 10:47

aaronjb

I must admit there is quite a large temptation to remove the rest of the kit, now, and sell it on.. if there are any buyers out there, that is.. (after getting the manifold fixed, of course)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"I must admit there is quite a large temptation to remove the rest of the kit, now, and sell it on.. if there are any buyers out there, that is.. (after getting the manifold fixed, of course)

Noooo, don't do it.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

aaronjb

What's keeping me from doing that at the moment is just how incredibly slow the car is now  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Granted it's partly because of the retarded & rich tune, but good lord.. I can't believe I lived with this for so long  s;) ;) s;)

The manifold should be fixed in a couple of weeks - the split will be dressed & TIGged back up, and I'll get the manifold->turbo flange milled flat as it seems to be a little warped (I noticed that last time I took it off after what you mentioned, Tem), and hopefully I'll get them to have a look at the other welds and re-do any that look suspect so it's good for another couple of years  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

spit

s:cry: :cry: s:cry: Tough break Aaron.

Can't recall if I shared the link to Che's latest piece of kit? Clicky

It'll leave you with some work to do on alignment but it'll certainly solve this particular issue   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

aaronjb

Yeah - that's too much work.. new exhaust, new intake pipework.. it's just not worth the money to do all that given how much the kit already cost and how much that would cost to do again (somewhere around £15-1700 I imagine).

Tem

I was just wondering have you (or anyone) ever seen turbo maps for the T517Z?  s8) 8) s8)

aaronjb

I haven't - I went looking when I was evaluating kits & turbos, but was never able to track one down for this turbo  s:( :( s:(

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"I haven't - I went looking when I was evaluating kits & turbos, but was never able to track one down for this turbo  s:( :( s:(

Apparently the TD05-16G big should be very close, but not exact. Would be nice to get the real thing though.  s8) 8) s8)  

m http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/turbo/Turbo ... glarge.gif m

silversprint

Quote from: "Tem"I was just wondering have you (or anyone) ever seen turbo maps for the T517Z?  s8) 8) s8)

I actually have a Topsecret turbo kit with a with a modified manifold that will go on my 2zz. I will be using the MWR map as the base map. However the MWR map was made for 3inch maf pipe.

The Turbokits.com cast manifold may work on the topsecret kit. You may just have to modify the downpipe.The turbo flanges are the same. They developed their own nice cast manifold. They no longer us the crappy Hass log design.

MR2 2zz 300hp, Ohlins, big sticky tires, and a big wing
Lotus Elise
70 911E
RX7 Fd3S

Tem

Quote from: "silversprint"
Quote from: "Tem"I was just wondering have you (or anyone) ever seen turbo maps for the T517Z?  s8) 8) s8)

I will be using the MWR map as the base map. However the MWR map was made for 3inch maf pipe.

I meant turbo efficiency maps, like this for TD05-16G:

QuoteThe Turbokits.com cast manifold may work on the topsecret kit. You may just have to modify the downpipe.The turbo flanges are the same.

Yes, basically any T25-flanged manifold will work. You just have to modify/make the manifold and/or exhaust and possibly the intake/boost piping too, depends where the manifold positions it..

silversprint

Greddy keeps the efficiency maps secret for some reason. Maybe because they don't want customers to know a T517 is pretty much a redone Mitsu turbo.
MR2 2zz 300hp, Ohlins, big sticky tires, and a big wing
Lotus Elise
70 911E
RX7 Fd3S

Tem

Quote from: "silversprint"Maybe because they don't want customers to know a T517 is pretty much a redone Mitsu turbo.

Probably not that, cause their pages say they build their turbos from Mitsu parts.  s:D :D s:D  

IIRC, T517 is a TD05 with 17C... But since the 17C was originally from TD06-17C, there are no Mitsu maps for TD05-17C.  s:? :? s:?

aaronjb

Speaking of manifolds - mine is finally all welded up (after the first runner was welded, we noticed another split where the collector of all four pipes meet).  Unfortunately the welding has warped the flanges, so now it's off to be milled flat on both flanges (which needed doing anyway really, since the turbo flange was never flat to start off with!).

Maybe I can finally get it back on in October.. it's depressing having a car where all the right hand pedal does is regulate noise, and do nothing for speed! (As the Civic owner found out tonight, much to his amusement...)

Tags: