Aaron gets blown (or, the Top Secret Turbo Kit thread)

Started by aaronjb, September 21, 2007, 10:47

roger

I'll buy it!! Only looking at those yesterday. Aarons post said nothing about wanting it, just some funny puppy dog speak, I think   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

So I claim it on the timed post rule   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"I'll buy it!! Only looking at those yesterday. Aarons post said nothing about wanting it, just some funny puppy dog speak, I think   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Pmsl, this forum will self destuct in 12 days.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

Quote from: "roger"I'll buy it!! Only looking at those yesterday. Aarons post said nothing about wanting it, just some funny puppy dog speak, I think   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Damn!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Well I'll buy them if Roger isn't claiming them  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

I've got to find it first! And it is only the one Aaron, just the oil/oil one I think as I had boost shown on the Profec.

Won't get a chance to check until Monday as it's in the other van. Then you can fight over who gets it.  s;) ;) s;)

roger

Being the gentleman I am, I'll back away to the corner and hide.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

aaronjb

So I went back to installing the LC-1 today - more or less from scratch since I'd pulled it all out to prevent any damage from the first attempt..

The LC-1 itself is now cable tied to the back of the battery stay - the sensor wire nicely reaches there, and should still reach when the turbo is installed too:

The wires are now encased in a neat little protector - they're a fiver from Maplin and designed for home cinema stuff, but make nice loom covers.

The extra wire you see disappearing off to the left (in the black ribbed case) is for the rear left EDFC motor for the Teins:

Now I just have to do something with all of these:

I've already tapped into the ECU +ve and -ve lines (I haven't connected the LC-1 to the tap yet) - but I notice my LC-1 loom has less wires than either the Innovate instructions say I should have or LT's instructions on SC..

I suspect this is because Innovate have tied together all of the grounds inside the LC-1 body now (I read they were planning on doing that to remove grounding issues), as I only have a blue (ground), but no green or silver grounds.

That just means I'll have to split my one ground into three (one to the ECU loom, one to the body and one to the Datalogit) for the O2 sensor signal to be read properly at all locations. I hope..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

aaronjb

Ah - just going through the manual again (now I'm back in the warm indoors!), I suspect the white wire on mine is the system & analogue grounds tied together, so I'll need to branch that off to both the ECU ground and Datalogit ground, with my blue heater ground going to a body ground only.

Wabbitkilla

I just tied all my grounds together on the ECU ground.

Worked a treat and pretty tidy
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

aaronjb

Cheers Nic - that's probably what I'll do, although I'm tempted to keep the heater ground on a chassis point.

Well - the exhaust and Amuse rear bar are both on.  The exhaust is... loud. Very, very loud.  Earsplittingly, mindbogglingly loud.  It even massages your back, it's that loud.

But my god it's fun  s;) ;) s;)  and doesn't appear to have robbed any low-down power, even without the PFC in, which is quite impressive.

Exhaust fitted, Amuse bar on:

Uh - I forgot the proper spring fixings so it's ghetto wire for now  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I'll put the springs on at home as it's an easy swap:

Exhaust paste is your friend:

And back together:

Wabbitkilla

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   That's a big f'ing pipe Aaron!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

loadswine

That pipe even looks loud! It looks too good to hide though, its a real work of art.  s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

heathstimpson

Looks really nice Aaron; what's the cost of the Amuse bar  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

kanujunkie

so when we fitting the rest of it then Aaron?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "kanujunkie"so when we fitting the rest of it then Aaron?
When he buys the rest of the bits me thinks  s8) 8) s8)

kanujunkie

pretty sure he has enough now, just the CC to go which could be done seperatley
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Heath - I'm not sure what the cost of the Amuse bar is new - I got mine secondhand (well, third hand  s:) :) s:) ) for £150, if memory serves.  It's actually heavier than the stock bar, I think  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Looks nice through the Chromdesign grills, though  s;) ;) s;)

Stu - I could really do with the injectors as well, before we fit the kit. Granted we could fit it and run ~0 boost, but.. you know temptation would get the better of me and I'd end up exploring the limits of the stock fuelling system  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

However, I have the injector issue in hand.. should be sorted soon  s;) ;) s;)

kanujunkie

just make an amuse bar, not hard and probably wont cost a huge amount of money either
[size=100]Stu[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "aaronjb"Heath - I'm not sure what the cost of the Amuse bar is new - I got mine secondhand (well, third hand  s:) :) s:) ) for £150, if memory serves.  It's actually heavier than the stock bar, I think  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Looks nice through the Chromdesign grills, though  s;) ;) s;)

Stu - I could really do with the injectors as well, before we fit the kit. Granted we could fit it and run ~0 boost, but.. you know temptation would get the better of me and I'd end up exploring the limits of the stock fuelling system  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

However, I have the injector issue in hand.. should be sorted soon  s;) ;) s;)
Will you be requiring my soldering skills  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

custardavenger

Quote from: "kanujunkie"just make an amuse bar, not hard and probably wont cost a huge amount of money either

Just about to do that myself. Will post a thread when I do.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"The exhaust is... loud. Very, very loud.  Earsplittingly, mindbogglingly loud.  It even massages your back, it's that loud.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Now you just need to install the silencing unit between the engine and the exhaust.  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"Now you just need to install the silencing unit between the engine and the exhaust.  s;) ;) s;)

Sorry? Did someone say something? All I can hear is a ringing noise...  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Seriously, it's that loud with no turbo in there! Heck, maybe I should put the turbo in and just wire the wastegate open  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

aaronjb

Ah yes - forgot to say..

Finally got the LC-1 and XD-16 wired in today.. that took most of the day to complete - well, the entire day, actually - and I'd already pulled the wires through into the engine bay!

Horrible, horrible job - I hate wiring on cars.. but it's in, working and supplying the right NB O2 signal to the stock ECU (it's pretending to be B2S1).  Interesting to see what mixtures the stock ECU runs - on WOT it seems to be from 13.5:1 to 11.5:1 (richening as the revs rise).  Fairly safe NA map, then.

Now it's time to put the PFC in (maybe next weekend) as I've got a nice 3rd O2 CEL (because the 3rd O2 is sat in the passenger footwell  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Slacey

Don't forget the turbo itself will actually quieten things down a little  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

aaronjb

Quote from: "Slacey"Don't forget the turbo itself will actually quieten things down a little  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Yep - a little.. hopefully it'll make it more liveable with - right now it's actually a little embarassing when you're trying to just pootle through town - there's no way to do it quietly anymore  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Pulling away past a police car parked on the M4 junction this morning was also a little worrying  s;) ;) s;)

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"Yep - a little..

Actually quite a lot.  s8) 8) s8)

I think you'll be happy with the noise levels once the turbo is on.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: