Started by Anonymous, September 22, 2007, 20:19

Anonymous

This is slightly off thread.
I'm thinking about installing a PE turbo (via Prolex) mainly because of simplicity and cost, and as a starting point for other things.
I've read the threads on here and SP.
I'm a bit worried that I should install something else at the same time, ie 'wideband' at least, which I don't understand (as in 'never heard of' - it's just a downside of age  s:( :( s:(  )
Explanation appreciated

spit

I would recommend some sort of electronic mapping control rather than relying on the PE's fuel pressure tweak and disconnection of the knock sensor - it'll give you a safer setup.... and if you get mapped properly, then arguably you won't need the luxury of a wideband (which accurately tells you what your air:fuel ratio - AFR - is).

Obvious choice for the price would be the EManage Blue, or EManage Ultimate for its advanced logging and "safe self-tune" (with the addition of wideband) options.

Apologies for drifting Aaron .... back o/t ....
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Wabbitkilla

[MOD]
Split from Aarons top secret thread as i think this deserves a thread of its own without drifting Aarons too much
[MOD]

MOD hat off now - It's always recommended to use a piggy back or replacement ecu when you're forcing air into an engine as opposed to normally aspirated. Above all things it gives you a safer tune which will help prevent any nasty engine damage. The PE and TTET can be installed without these but their alternatives are pretty rudimentary (heath robinson?). IMHO they can both be enhanced with either E-Manage Blue, Ultimate, or a full blown replacement ECU.

They both work very well and obviously the PE is a great price. But the most you're safely going to get out of either is going to be what, 200 to 210bhp? Which to me is plenty power.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

The Silverstone Performance additions claim up to 240bhp, but at what risk. (Hint)   s:? :? s:?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"The Silverstone Performance additions claim up to 240bhp, but at what risk. (Hint)   s:? :? s:?

s:?: :?: s:?:

evileye_wrx

I'd speak to Davy (VVTi) as he's going for a PE via Prolex in the near future. From what he's said Dave from Prolex has been very helpful in suggesting additional parts which are useful to accompany the basic kit.

When we did my install a couple of weeks ago I already had engine management (Emanage blue) but the tuners (Hypersports) suggested larger than stock injectors as necessary as mine were maxxed out at high revs. My shopping list for the future consists of New exhaust (just cos mine was cracked) Bigger injectors, intercooler, wideband 02 sensor + innovate, and anything else Ste tells me to buy!

Other stuff you'll probably need or want to get may include gauges, a blow off valve, boost controller (mechanical or electronic), additional bracing for the new manifold, clutch and flywheel. You'll probably want to factor in more regular oil changes so decent oil and filters, super unleaded fuel as well. It all adds up, not that I'm trying to put you off, cos when you put your foot down it's most definitely worth it.
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

ChrisGB

Quote from: "evileye_xc"When we did my install a couple of weeks ago I already had engine management (Emanage blue) but the tuners (Hypersports) suggested larger than stock injectors as necessary as mine were maxxed out at high revs.

Am I over simplifying here or could you not just up the fuel pressure? If you are just in tune on max flow, a relatively small increase in pressure could see you OK.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "evileye_xc"When we did my install a couple of weeks ago I already had engine management (Emanage blue) but the tuners (Hypersports) suggested larger than stock injectors as necessary as mine were maxxed out at high revs.

Am I over simplifying here or could you not just up the fuel pressure? If you are just in tune on max flow, a relatively small increase in pressure could see you OK.

Chris

The other suggestion from Chris at Hypersports was to put in a fuel pressure regulator, but Injectors seems a better option if I want to go for more power in the future.
Phil

Wabbitkilla

A fuel pressure regulator does come with the PE kit as standard but was missing from Phils (2nd user) kit. So yes this would 'help' but it in itself isn't the complete solution, add engine management and bigger injectors and it's a better proposition.
Don't get me wrong, it'll have you flying nicely, but the add ons provide refinement and peace of mind.

The PE is built to a competitive price, but you can easily improve it, hence Dave at Prolex adding the intercooling.

The urge you get in reaction to your right foot seems well worth it.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

aaronjb

I have ranted elsewhere on why the RRFPR is a good idea in any case, so I won't do it all again here  s;) ;) s;)

But suffice to say I still think that if you're going to really do things properly (regardless of injector size), you ought to have a RRFPR in there.. of course on our cars it's a royal pain in the backside as the current FPR is inside the fuel tank  s:( :( s:(

But there does come a point where it would be essential - if you were ever pushing 40psi of boost, no fuel would come out of your injectors at all - whatever size they were  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

VVT-i

As evileye has said, I am in the precess of getting bits and pieces together for a PE conversion, I am going for the innovate wideband kit... 550cc injectors, emanage ultimate, intercooler, flywheel, clutch, boost controller, dump valve, new exhaust with 3" pipework.. I will be putting in 5 guages too..... boost, oil temp, oil pressure, EGT, and the AFR that comes with the wideband kit.

As for the injectors... Dave was speaking to someone from Greece (i think) when we were at knockhill, the chap had previous experience of the PE kit and told Dave that upgraded injectors were needed to get the best out of the kit, this was something neither me or Dave thought was going to be necessary... but as evileye has said.. his injectors have maxed out.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

loadswine

You never know, I might have a few bits that might help with your collection, I may not be able to sell my PE kit as a complete unit, though it has pretty much all you could require, so might end up splitting it and complete several people's collections of bits.

I have to say that I am a complete fan of the PE conversion and its inherent driveability, Its just that the opportunity of having Europe's first V6 came up and I couldn't not do it!   s:P :P s:P  
If I can be of any assistance at all with any PE projects, I am always happy to answer any questions that I am able or share pics of my install (as was!)
( I am not as knowledgable as some of the guys on here, but have run one for a while and that may help)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

So, what I conclude from this at the moment is that I should get say 200bhp from just fitting the turbo (must get good torque increases also) but in a fairly unrefined fashion. So it may well be a good starting point?
Thanks for the response

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "sandstrain"So, what I conclude from this at the moment is that I should get say 200bhp from just fitting the turbo (must get good torque increases also) but in a fairly unrefined fashion. So it may well be a good starting point?
Thanks for the response

I doubt you'll actually make 200 bhp. I made just under that and we weren't expecting those numbers, and that was with tuning with emanage. The numbers also  improved after the fitting of the boost controller. I don't know if I'd have wanted to have done the install without the tune as well. It might be an idea to factor in the cost of engine management and a tune just for the peace of mind that nothing is going to go wrong.
Phil

Tags: