What oil are you using?

Started by markiii, December 15, 2003, 18:41

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"Interesting take on Synthetic v Dino juice. .[/color]

I remember that in a previous car (a diesel peugeot) I used a semisynthetic oil (recomended by the dealer), and then after a year and 30000km, I have changed for Mobil 1 (0-40) and get a big increase in oil consumption.
 I return to the previously used oil and get normal consumption (almost nil).
  So, perhaps it's a bad idea to change for synthetics if you didn't began with synthetics.

I have once read in a magasine a test that shows that 80% of worn out in a motor happens when you turn it on (and the engine is cold). If you use a  very thin synthetic oil you can have better lubrification when the motor is cold, and therefore have less worn out. Syntetic oil has also a better behaviour in very high temperatures.

I never heard about synthetic oil leaving more residous, but if this is true it's not good. Where do you get that information from?  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

markiii

I'd say the reason you had icreased consumption with the Peugot was the 0w40 oil not the fact it was synthetic, I assume the previous dino juice wasn't a 0 rating?

the excerpt was taken from SCC a US tuning magazine.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

markiii

Well I got round to changing the oil yesterday. An easier enough job except that t change the filter you need to remove all the plastic nappies.

that was a pain.

I ran a flush additive through first as changing to a fully synth from teh magnatec. I was surprised just how thin and black the removed oil was.

I'm alos surprised how thick the 15/50 looked in comparison. Still first impressions are that teh engie is noticably quieter and smoother. Whether it fixes my diesel noise I wil have to waiti and see.

A little tip for anyone changing their oil, the filter is abnormally small, make sure you removal tool fits. It's not very amusing when the car is empty of oil, your lying under it and then find the damn thing don't fit.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

BenF

Quote from: "markiii"Also see this post from a MK2 tubby owner, scroll down to the il bit

m http://www.btinternet.com/~netsurf/mr2t/mr2tfaq.html m

the comments about magnatec appearing to be used easily by the engine are typical of what I'm finding.

Heres a link for some general oil info.

m http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/ m

I'm pretty sure I'm going to try a Mobil1 15w50 for an oil change over xmas and see if the noise gets any better, it's due anyway as, per our discussion magnatec gets very thin and dirty after 5000 miles.

My ears are burning  s:) :) s:)

Yes, old (ie from 3-4 years back) formulation semi synthetic Maganatec did seem to be used by my old Mk2 Turbo - about 2.5 litres per 6,000 miles. There wasn't any noticeable smoke screen, it just disappeared.

I switched to fully synth Mobil1 15W50 in the Mk2 (and probably what I'm going to use in the Roadster) and the oil consumption dropped to about 1 litre per 6,000 miles - and was stable at that whilst I put on another 100,000 miles on the car and engine.

One thing I would say though - my old Mk2 Coupe with a 3S-FE engine *did* burn oil, this apparently is a problem as well with the US 5S-FE engines too. The engine was completely rebuilt under warranty, but even after the rebuild the oil consumption problem remained   s:? :? s:?  - I then resigned myself to needing to top up the oil fairly regularly.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Anonymous

Since 5 years:

15 W 40 mineral oil - no synthetic...still the 1st SB   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Chris

mines still on whatever they put in at the first service, and will stay that way all the time the warranty lives...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Has anyone used Castrol RS as it's currently reduced to half price in my local Halfords, £17 something from £35! The thing is it's a 0w40 rating.

Anonymous

I was looking at my oil the other day and noticed i was down to about half full/empty which ever way you want to say it!

I was wondering as i don't know what oil was used to fill the car last service as it wasn't my car would it be best to drain off the oil and fill it with some new oil? If so can anyone recomend any as I am a bit confused with this post so far! Also how much oil is the difference between empty and full on the dipstick?

Regards

Dom

Slacey

Quote from: "SteveM"Has anyone used Castrol RS as it's currently reduced to half price in my local Halfords, £17 something from £35! The thing is it's a 0w40 rating.
I would guess that it would be too thin at 0w.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Slacey

Quote from: "Dominic_Gregory"Also how much oil is the difference between empty and full on the dipstick?
I believe it is just under a litre from low > full.
As for your question of draining the unknown oil and refilling, I would if only for peace of mind.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tem

Quote from: "Dominic_Gregory"I was wondering as i don't know what oil was used to fill the car last service as it wasn't my car would it be best to drain off the oil and fill it with some new oil?

Halfway...you can pretty much ignore it. It doesn't have to be at full all the time  s;) ;) s;)  But you can top it off with any good oil if you wish. It doesn't have to be the same that's in there now.

QuoteIf so can anyone recomend any as I am a bit confused with this post so far! Also how much oil is the difference between empty and full on the dipstick?

Your owners manual can recommend it, if you can't find good answers here  s;) ;) s;)

I believe the empty-full is 1 liter.

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "SteveM"Has anyone used Castrol RS as it's currently reduced to half price in my local Halfords, £17 something from £35! The thing is it's a 0w40 rating.
I would guess that it would be too thin at 0w.

I've been using 0w40 and it has been just fine  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

MR-S Turbo

Im using Millers 10w60 fully syntetic oil in my 2
TRD 2000GT - 500BHP ish

Anonymous

When I took my 2 in for 30K service they gave me an oil top up kit.  This consisted of 1ltr of Magnatec 10w 40, a paper funnel and some clean up stuff.

As Toyota gave me this I presume it is what they recommend.

Anonymous

I purchased my 2000 Spyder with 20,000 miles on the clock and switched almost immediately to Mobil1 synthetic oil with the TRD filter.  Now at 32,000 miles and not burning a drop between changes.  I change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals.

aaronjb

Quote from: "stubob"This consisted of 1ltr of Magnatec 10w 40, a paper funnel and some clean up stuff.

As Toyota gave me this I presume it is what they recommend.

It's what they sell - it's still rubbish, though  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Mine got treated to Castrol Edge Sport (replacement for the RS fully syn. range) 0W-40 last change - so far it's using zip oil.. (must check it this evening, actually).
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

edward.carter

im using magnatec and have hardly used any seems ok  to me ?

aaronjb

Quote from: "edward.carter"I'm using magnatec and have hardly used any seems ok  to me ?

If you search around on here, there's quite a few posts about how it breaks down at high temperatures etc.  One of these days, I'll ask Oilman over on IMOC what he thinks of it and get a definitive answer  s:) :) s:)

From memory it's not a fully syn. PAO oil anyhow, which gives it a big black mark in my book  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

edward.carter

think i might treat myself to a trd oil filter and some better oil   s:) :) s:)

markiii

I'd reccomend teh K&N oil filter

ithas a nut welded tpo teh bottom which means you can remove and tighten with astandard ratchet.

getting a filter removal tool on the roadster is a major PITA

edward.carter

cool will check them out   s:) :) s:)   ta

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"getting a filter removal tool on the roadster is a major PITA

It is? Took me 30secs with mine  s;) ;) s;)  (Claw style one that a ratchet goes into)

markiii

ok they will fit, but the tightening grip type are useless.

besisde you have a "unique" way of changing your oil
  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Selenia 10w40.  No oil consumption   s:) :) s:)

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"besisde you have a "unique" way of changing your oil
  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

s:P :P s:P   s:P :P s:P  Careful, or I'll be taking embarassing photos of you tomorrow  s:P :P s:P

edward.carter

just bought some new oil for topping up that castrol edge isnt cheap is it!!  halfords 4L £37  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Tags: