1zz engine

Started by zaf786, October 14, 2007, 15:54

zaf786

hi i'm new to this, so bare with me, i just have a few questions. I've tried to search this but cant find the info i'm after. so if anyone can help me it's much appreciated.
would the 1zz engine fit straight into the mr2 roadster?
what's the difference between the vvt-i and 1zz engine?
what cars have the 1zz engines?

thank you in advance

aaronjb

The Roadster is already fitted with a 1ZZ-FE engine, which is equipped with VVTi..

Are you perhaps asking whether you can fit a 2ZZ-GE VVTL-i engine from the Celica 190 to the Roadster?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

The roadster is fitted with the 1zz engine as standard and it is a vvt-i engine.

vvt-i is the Toyota designation applied to engines employing variable valve timing technology.  As far as I know, the only other model fitted with the exact same engine is the Celica vvt-i but I may be wrong.

HTH

zaf786

ok now i understand that, thank you.

another question is can you put the mr2 mk2 engine turbo or non-turbo into the roadster, i mean are you looking at a lot of work is it just some some slight mods needed. i.e engine mounts etc?

i'm just exploring other engines which could replace my current one in case something happens to it.

i've seen the threads about the v6 but all that is just too confusing for me, really i'm just looking for something that will need the least work and is more reliable than the current engine.

aaronjb

The easiest swap is by far the 2ZZ-GE Celica 190 engine - a great engine to swap in, and if you search around here you'll be able to find a list of all the parts you'd need to do it (from memory, a modified mount, modified dipstick tube, wiring loom, custom headers).

I seem to recall Rogue offering a turnkey 2ZZ swap for ~£1500 or so (not including the cost of the engine).

3S-GTE has been half done by Rogue, but it's a lot of work, and 3S-GE Beams has also been done by Rogue - also a lot of work, so it'll be very expensive.

V6 has been done in various forms in the US and now here in the UK - some are easier to fit, requiring less hacking than Nigels conversion, but the engines are harder (and expensive) to get hold of.

K20's (Civic Type-R) engines have also been swapped in by a few members in Malaysia and at least one in the US - another expensive swap, similar in behaviour to the 2ZZ but even higher revving and (arguably) more power potential - and a better known engine with a wider aftermarket.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

zaf786

so i take it that the 3S-GTE is the mark 2 engine.

well cheers for that, you guys are very helpful  s:D :D s:D

philster_d

Patrick had to cut into the cars subframe in order to fit the mk2 turbo engine, far from an easy swap with a few mods I would say.

kanujunkie

it was the crossmember at the back that he moved Phil
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

SteveJ

Quote from: "kanujunkie"it was the crossmember at the back that he moved Phil

And then some  s;) ;) s;)

Phil is right - both chassis legs had some considerable lumps cut out of them (in particular the left hand one to clear the gearbox)

Tags: