What to do now (exhaust problem)

Started by SimonC_Here, October 15, 2007, 18:07

SimonC_Here

Right, after getting back to my car the evening, I noticed the driver side exhaust tip hanging down.
Thought I might have dinged it on the curb as I parked but I'd parked nose in today!

I don't remember it hanging down on Sunday. Roger did you notice it when I was 'round yours?

Well after having a quick look, it looks like the clamp or whatever it is that is nearest the big oval box thing is all rusted and the pipe that hangs down is loose.

Anyone know what I can do to sort this out? Bearing in mind I am going to be really busy this weekend and planned on taking it to Switzerland a week later!

Simon

Steven Velocity

A welder (your own or someone for hire) will fix that right up for you in no time.
DRUM & BASS IS THE ANSWER, wobble wobble...HARD TECHNO ALL NIGHT LONG! BLOWN 2ZZ (R.I.P.) (FI project]/PFC/J&S Interceptor/complete custom 2.5" exhaust/6pd w/LSD/8lb aluminum Fidanza flywheel/ACT eXtreme clutch/TRD quickshifter/Speedsource brass shift cable bushings/BC Racing RAM coilovers/Woods slotted rotors/Hawk Pads/Saner 25.4mm front sway bar/Corky\'s BP/Kirks mounts/custom roll cage/JDM hardtop/Dev\'s KHCs/clear corner markers/150lbs added lightness/Toyo R888 for now BWAHAHAHA!!!

aaronjb

Quote from: "Steven Velocity"A welder (your own or someone for hire) will fix that right up for you in no time.

You could.. but.. nooo.. The tips are meant to be removable  s;) ;) s;)  They clamp on with a donut shaped 'gasket' between the tip and the main bit of the box..

The only bit that should rust is the clamp (as the exhaust is stainless), and they do have a distinct habit of turning to dust.. unfortunately I've not seen them for sale anywhere..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Steven Velocity

From the picture I thought he was talking about one of the metal hangers that suspend the muffler/exhust. If it is just the removeable chrome tip or the gasket behind it then Mr T should sell them, or at least the American dealers do.
DRUM & BASS IS THE ANSWER, wobble wobble...HARD TECHNO ALL NIGHT LONG! BLOWN 2ZZ (R.I.P.) (FI project]/PFC/J&S Interceptor/complete custom 2.5" exhaust/6pd w/LSD/8lb aluminum Fidanza flywheel/ACT eXtreme clutch/TRD quickshifter/Speedsource brass shift cable bushings/BC Racing RAM coilovers/Woods slotted rotors/Hawk Pads/Saner 25.4mm front sway bar/Corky\'s BP/Kirks mounts/custom roll cage/JDM hardtop/Dev\'s KHCs/clear corner markers/150lbs added lightness/Toyo R888 for now BWAHAHAHA!!!

SimonC_Here

So the big question. What do I do?

Take it to Toyota?

Simon

aaronjb

Quote from: "Steven Velocity"From the picture I thought he was talking about one of the metal hangers that suspend the muffler/exhust.

Ahh  s:) :) s:)  No I believe Simon was pointing at the circular clamp, rather than the hanger (which, you're right, is right next to the red arrow too  s:) :) s:) ).

I've never tried to buy one from Toyota but you must be correct - they do have to sell spares for their own parts, after all.

Simon - yeah, if you have limited time then you're going to have to accept the pain and take it to MrT  s;) ;) s;)   Or you can get the parts from them and fit yourself - it's a bit of a faff but not too bad if you remove the bumper for easy access to the rear.. (There's an SC comment if ever there was one  s;) ;) s;) )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

SimonC_Here

Yeah, it's where the metal dangly bit goes in to the big metal oval bit (back at SC again!).

Let's see what Toyota says about time and cost  s:( :( s:(

Ta guys

Simon

fstsven

Is it just the picture, or is the other tip pointing upwards?
That happened to me once when I hit a speed bump with one tip. Nothing was loose, just bent. I had to block one tip and bend the other back...
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
APEX progressive rate springs (-30mm)
3.ORACING breastplate
TOYO proxes R1R 205/50/15(f)-225/45/16(r)
25 kgs extra lightness

SimonC_Here

Just the pic. They were very well aligned.

It is loose, ou can lift it up and down with your hand. I'm a bit worried it will fall out on the way to work or to Toyota!

Simon

markiii

stu found a source for new clamps he will be y9our best bet I reckon MrT won't stock them as they only get them as part of teh exhaust
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

ARE was where i found the source of clamps but i think they were taken over by euro car parts, i'm sure i posted the p/n on here
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

kanujunkie

[size=100]Stu[/size]

roger

Simon, if you want a hand with anything give a shout - we could do it on Thursday !!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  I'm an expert on fitting TTE exhausts thanks to the kind tuition of Aaron.

Just one comment, it is loose AT the bracket, isn't it? Because there is a small bit of pipe welded into the exhaust box that the bracket clamps onto, and certainly if it moves at that joint, then its a re-weld I would guess.

The other option, if you are panicking for time is I've still got my original single exit OEM box, that could go on, to at least get you away.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

SimonC_Here

erm, I'll have to look. it might actually be loose where it joins the box   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  .
Well off to Toyota at 15:00 today so they can have a quick look.

If it is fully loose, can I just take the whole thing off and go for 1 exit or will it knacker something?

thanks for the offer Roger, I'll see what mrT says.

Simon

kanujunkie

you can if you can get the other exit blanked off, but to be honest its probably easier to get another donut and clamp
[size=100]Stu[/size]

roger

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"If it is fully loose, can I just take the whole thing off and go for 1 exit or will it knacker something?

When you say "whole thing" do you mean the RHS pipe from the box?? If so I would reckon you need some kind of blanking plate, (exhaust fumes etc.). Might be possible with exhaust gunge tape. However your trip to Switzerland in that state would worry me.

By taking the complete exhaust box off and putting the OEM 1 exit I don't think it should really affect anything.

Having said that, I have no experience on the OEM box, I'm assuming it would be a straight re-fit (i.e. no parts are thrown away), can somebody confirm? If you do go down that road Simon I would suggest you get a new gasket from MrT for between Exhaust & Cat pipe. Kidlington had them (well at least one, when I bought it) in stock a few weeks ago. About £5 IIRC.
Roger

markiii

if you stuck and need it swapping before you go give me a shout
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SimonC_Here

It's definitely the 'donut' and clamp! It's falling apart in my hand.

I'll leave it on then and strap it up with some wire before driving to Toyota. They can 'make it safe' for me apparently! I'll believe it when I see it.

If they don't have the part in stock, and I doubt they will, as long as they can take the car in and fix before next Thursday I'll be OK. Otherwise Mark/Roger, you may be getting a call!

Simon

roger

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"If they don't have the part in stock, and I doubt they will,

I'm wondering if it might not be a good idea to give ARE Factors a ring to check on availability, either for you or MrT !! you might want to place a quick order after 3.00pm   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

And please, if you do, make it 4, I could do with a couple of new ones ! If you end up not needing them don't bother for me.
Roger

SimonC_Here

Been here half an hour. The guy has only just worked out how open the engine lid. Visual safety check happening apparently.

aaronjb

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"The guy has only just worked out how open the engine lid.

That sounds promising!

SimonC_Here

So, take an afternoon off work to finish off some wedding stuff and all of it is spent watching a Toyota numpty fiddling about with my car or wandering around.

Well an hour and a half after they put the car up on the ramp they came in to tell me that the exhaust tip was hanging off.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  
It was quite funny watching the guy standing behind the car searching for latches and hidden buttons to open the engine lid. Even more so when he couldn't read the oil level on the dipstick.
That'll be because it was only changed ~200 miles ago.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

And no, they can't get the brackets separately, so would I like them to get in a new tte exhaust for me?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Ah no, I don't think so.

Visual safety check is really worth the paper it's written on, tells me my tires are worn and the coolant is a little low.
Oh yes, and on the section marked Exhaust, there is a little tick in the red box with the comment "Exhaust tip hanging off". (now to test the swear filter on this site)

Then they come and tell me that the battery is dead and they had to jump start it.
That'll be because they left the radio and lights on for half an hour when it was up on the ramp then wont it.

Now to get the parts online and get them fitted. Which is what I should have done in the first place.

Right off to drink a few beers.

Simon

Steven Velocity

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Which Toyota did you go to, So I know not work there.

filcee

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"The guy has only just worked out how open the engine lid.
I think I have just worked out why Toyota have dropped the MR2 ... their staff just don't understand it!!
Numpties. s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
Good luck getting things fixed for your trip.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

SimonC_Here

Inchcape Oxford.

I've updated the post Stu linked to above with the new part details. Now to just get it!

Simon

Tags: