Catastrophic Engine failure

Started by rtbiscuit, October 19, 2007, 13:22

rtbiscuit

i know this is something that has been covered before, engine failure etc, but the response i'm looking for a slightly different. if this post is better off in performance then please move it, and even relabel it.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

basically driving to work today my engine went pop (big style) sounded like something just went (where i don't know)  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  and the engine sounded like a tractor.

luckily i was just round the corner from toyota and managed to limp back to it. parked up and waited for them to open.

they checked it over and theconclusion was that their is no compression in cylinder 1. other than that they don't know any more.

my guess is the o-ring gave way. hence no compression. this is unique i think because i have no precats (CHE manifold instead). so cause unknown.

my next question is what to do next, toyota said that they candismantle the block to have a look but looking at 5 hours labour and roughly £400. if it turns out to be what i expect it to be, they reckon they would put in a short block for me but would then be looking into the £1000's my quess is just under £2000 all in.

well for that money i'm not far off a new engine, so the question is what to do next?

option 1 - get old engine fixed

option 2 - new 1zz engine (run the risk of a repeat)

option 3 - 2zz conversion (but where)

option 4 - can't think of anything else yet hence why i'm asking for help  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

evileye_wrx

Go the extra few quid and get a 2zz done would be my thought.

OR.... here's a project for you.

eBay 2ZZ clicky

[mod] Edited because long links make the baby jesus cry (and my window scroll  s:P :P s:P  ) [/mod]
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

rtbiscuit

my thoughts were the same, needs a new engine really, why not upgrade on the power at the same time.

if i'm going down the 2zz route is where to get it done.?

rougue offer the service, can't remember costs off hand,

but have been really impressed with woodsports work on the V6, and wondered if he could do something.

Previous cars:

loadswine

Rich, I am very sorry to hear of your engine's demise mate.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  
 You really didn't need that.
 Paul Woods would be a very good guy to speak to about some kind of replacement. I happen to know that he has a 3sgte sitting there waiting for a swap candidate. He will be able to give you some alternatives at least mate.  s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

aaronjb

I'd go for the 2ZZ (even over the 3S-GTE, personally) - it' more or less a bolt in with just a modified mount & dipstick tube needed (unless you change to a Celica gearbox as well, in which case you need the shift shaft).

Rogue were quoting ~£1200 without the engine if memory serves.

3S-GTE is going to involve a lot of hacking around of the chassis legs, and I don't see that you need the headroom for power (or are you looking for 700bhp?  s;) ;) s;)  then again, MWR managed 666bhp on a 2ZZ, so...)

The 2ZZ is a much beefier engine than the 1ZZ - it's really totally different, bigger rods, higher revving, better cams, valves, much nicer head, etc.. you get the idea  s;) ;) s;)

[edit] Uh - I forgot you'd also need an exhaust manifold of course.. not quite sure how I envisaged connecting the engine to the exhaust without one  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

rtbiscuit

how much difference would a 6 speed gear box make?

to be honest i need to keep the costs as low as possible, this couldn't have come at a worse time.

as for manifolds, i thought the 1zz manifoldmated up with the 2zz, if not what type of manifold do i need as i currently have a che.

i think i also need a different air intake which means my apexi would have to be sold.

i would also sell off my custom painted valve cover

Previous cars:

aaronjb

I'm by no means an expert here - in fact, on this I'm just repeating something Mark told me last weekend  s:) :) s:)

The 2ZZ has a different exhaust flange - same rough port location, but the ports are oval not round (and larger).  You could, theoretically, have the flange cut off your Che and a new flange welded on (that's how Rogue do it, I believe), or you could get a 2ZZ swap header from LR.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

If you have a look at this very recent thread Steven Velocity is offering his services. He may be considerably cheaper than Mr T.

Mike

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18839 m

Steven Velocity

Quote from: "mm"If you have a look at this very recent thread Steven Velocity is offering his services. He may be considerably cheaper than Mr T.

Mike

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18839 m

+1  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
DRUM & BASS IS THE ANSWER, wobble wobble...HARD TECHNO ALL NIGHT LONG! BLOWN 2ZZ (R.I.P.) (FI project]/PFC/J&S Interceptor/complete custom 2.5" exhaust/6pd w/LSD/8lb aluminum Fidanza flywheel/ACT eXtreme clutch/TRD quickshifter/Speedsource brass shift cable bushings/BC Racing RAM coilovers/Woods slotted rotors/Hawk Pads/Saner 25.4mm front sway bar/Corky\'s BP/Kirks mounts/custom roll cage/JDM hardtop/Dev\'s KHCs/clear corner markers/150lbs added lightness/Toyo R888 for now BWAHAHAHA!!!

rtbiscuit

Mr Velocity, do you have your own garage and tools in order to complete the surgery.

i keep thinking of using rogue, only because their closer, getting to coventry is easier than county durham or manchester, especially as i will need to tow it.

Previous cars:

Anonymous

Between you and me, and this is strictly my own opinion, I wouldn't use Rogue for a 2ZZ swap. I saw (and heard!) enough issues with Jules' swap to make the proposition somewhat unattractive, although they did try and make amends. I'd definitely go with either Woodsport as we've now all seen what Paul can do, or with Steve as he's already done it and is a top fella to boot.

rtbiscuit

is it worth buying something like an apexi pfc for this as well or can i run it on the standard ECU

Previous cars:

Anonymous

You'll definitely need a PFC, standard ECU won't work AFAIK.

evileye_wrx

Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

rtbiscuit

i had a read through that, and a lot of it make sense, but most of it reads like a project wish list, and it can be difficult to preen out what is necessary, and what is wishful thinking.

my thoughts are that the back box and cat stay, (the cat for now any way)

get an apexi pfc, little rocket conversion kit, and source a new engine.

i would like to do things like the clutch and flywheel and gear box to 6 speed, but feel they are unnecessary costs.

i need to keep the budget down the closer to 2 grand the better, cos there is no sodding way it would be under

Previous cars:

aaronjb

You'll need a flywheel - 1ZZ flywheel doesn't fit the 2ZZ (although the clutch & pressure plate do)

rtbiscuit

so if i'm doing the fly wheel is it easy enough to do the clutch at the same time.

oh and i found these as a first time search

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-CELICA-VVT ... dZViewItem m

Previous cars:

northernalex

evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

rtbiscuit

cheers alex, yeah i saw that as well.

just looking, at the moment to try and console myself that going 2zz is not extravagant, well i found some 1zz short block prices and they come in at around £800, well the 2zz from ebay with 12,000 on the clock is only £1200.

not a lot in it really.

Previous cars:

aaronjb

Ack nooo.. for clutches go RPS or ACT, a big name brand - if you buy F1 or Spec, expect the clutch to last next to no time (look on SC for reports of failed Spec clutches - friction discs tearing off the sprung hubs, things like that).

You don't want to have to pay to have the box split off the engine a second time..

DannyN

Wow Rich, sorry to hear of your failure its never nice but this close to christmas is painful

See your easing yourself nicely into the 2zz tho.....

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"found some 1zz short block prices and they come in at around £800, well the 2zz from ebay with 12,000 on the clock is only £1200.
not a lot in it really.

Not a lot in it ?... its a whole 50% increase!!  
Your logic works just like mine   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

northernalex

Ive been thinking of goingn 2zz for a while now (in march).. so I'll be keepingn my eye on how you progress Rich.. and bad luck with the engine..!! but at least its pushing you towards getting a peformance increase??
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

rtbiscuit

i was seriously considering kaisers super charger, as i fancied something different, am kinda glad i didn't as i wouldn't have anything to fit it to now.

just wasn't planning on doing anything quiet yet.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Previous cars:

loadswine

Some of the clutch and flywheel deals from the States at the moment are excellent. I got mine from there for my swap and it worked out much cheaper.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"i was seriously considering kaisers super charger, as i fancied something different, am kinda glad i didn't as i wouldn't have anything to fit it to now.

IMHO the 2zz is the better option, nothing personal, I just think this particular sc setup is very heath-robinson.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, it's never a good time for engines to let go, but with the way you're thinking here you'll get a better car out of it.

If you have Mr Velocity do it, I can sneak in and help/watch while stealing ideas and photos. Of course the manifold may be an issue but there are one or two places around could fabricate one up for a price.

Good luck matey, we're with you all the way
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: