180hp NA

Started by Jap GT300, December 19, 2003, 11:49

mph

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

This is why 'boy racers' have a bad name. People in powerful cars racing around, yet don't have the slightest clue how to control them.

I'm not sorry he's crashed/wrecked his car. I bet he won't have learnt his lesson either that he was driving far beyond his capability, and worse, on a public road.

QuoteJust to help you i will give you a tip: if you only break you will continue to understeer and you will crash.
While this statement itself might be a handy tip that you're not doing something right, the 'solutions' you provide are absolute nonsense.

Those that have done at least one North Weald training day will know that it's quite possible to emergency stop while going travelling round a high-speed corner without engine-braking or any such rubbish.

/personal post - views not necessarily representative of MR2-ROC.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"Those that have done at least one North Weald training day will know that it's quite possible to emergency stop while going travelling round a high-speed corner without engine-braking or any such rubbish.

yup... scary as hell but superb when you pull it off. I think it should be the LAW to go on that course!   s:D :D s:D  

*off-topic mode* martin, seeing as ive done the course, can i drive your turbo!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  *off-topic mode*

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "mph"Those that have done at least one North Weald training day will know that it's quite possible to emergency stop while going travelling round a high-speed corner without engine-braking or any such rubbish.

yup... scary as hell but superb when you pull it off. I think it should be the LAW to go on that course!   s:D :D s:D  

Indeedy, not that I have, but indeedy anyway.

Anonymous

Okay so what do you get taught at North Wealds?  Is it awesome. ... as a 21 yr old driving around in a 2 in the wet I could say I have had a few scary moments... my dad has been givingme a few good driving points for rear wheel sports cars as he has a Lotus Esprit.  Since these pointers I have felt 10x bettter in the car but would still really like a professional to teach me do's and dont's!

Also how much does it cost to join the club?  What are the benefits?

Anonymous

Quote from: "floater"Okay so what do you get taught at North Wealds?  Is it awesome. ... as a 21 yr old driving around in a 2 in the wet I could say I have had a few scary moments... my dad has been givingme a few good driving points for rear wheel sports cars as he has a Lotus Esprit.  Since these pointers I have felt 10x bettter in the car but would still really like a professional to teach me do's and dont's!

Also how much does it cost to join the club?  What are the benefits?

Its not a club, its a driver training course.

Take a look at this thread for more info from when me and a 3 others did the course:  m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=1108 m

Anonymous

cheers for the link .. sorry I wasnt clear I mean how much does it cost to join the MR2 Roadster Owners Club.

Anonymous

Quote from: "floater"cheers for the link .. sorry I wasnt clear I mean how much does it cost to join the MR2 Roadster Owners Club.

It doesnt - your already a member!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

oh ok superb!    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
nice to be a member!

SimonC_Here

As to the benefits,

Well you get to hang out with this lot!  
(ok so perhaps not a great selling point   s:D :D s:D  )

And there are some cool things going on with TTE that the club are involved in.

As to the north weald.

DO IT!

Simon

juansolo

Quote from: "MadMigMR2"Let me explain better what happened and then you will reply to me how you would save from this situation

You are exiting from a high way to enter another and you have a open curve before you start enter the new highway.

You enter on that curve in 4rd gear at 180KM/H

What You do when you see the front of the car loosing grip and you see that if you don't do anything you will crash for sure.

Just to help you i will give you a tip: if you only break you will continue to understeer and you will crash.

a)  You entered the corner far too fast.
b)  Jamming it down a gear in this manner is as good as applying the handbrake in a RWD car.  This is an insane thing to do when going around a corner at 70+ mph as implied.  Not a way to control and already out of control car.

You're only chance is to lift, though not violently as this will have the same effect.  The idea is to do it enough so the front end digs in and the rear starts to slide.  Once you have the car pointing in the direction you want to be going balance the car with throttle and steering and providing you've got the space, power through the corner.

Also if hitting something is inevitable, hit it front on.  Cars are designed to take a much bigger hit at the front and have airbags to protect the occupants.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

As for North Weald.  There will be ample group days I think this year.  We will definitely be attending.  Just be wary, I think most people after the day need new tyres   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   so remember that in the cost of going.

However from those that have gone, I think it teachs you a WHOLE load of valuable stuff that as Kris said should be law before buying a sports car!

Anonymous

Quote from: "juansolo"Also if hitting something is inevitable, hit it front on.

This also applies to grass/kerbs/gravel-traps/runoff. At least you'll just keep rolling forwards, not sideways   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:? :? s:?    s:!: :!: s:!:

Anonymous

Quote from: "pmdye"
Quote from: "juansolo"Also if hitting something is inevitable, hit it front on.

This also applies to grass/kerbs/gravel-traps/runoff. At least you'll just keep rolling forwards, not sideways   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:? :? s:?    s:!: :!: s:!:

There was a clip of some mini racing in the chit-chat secition as I recall, which showed what can happen if you go in sideways... the wheels dug into the gravel and flipped the car.

juansolo

Going into anything soft sideways, be it gravel or mud, is bad m-kay.  I've seen a few cars go over in this manner.  Including one that was travelling at all of about 20 mph when it flipped onto it's roof.  It was very surreal.

filcee

Quote from: "juansolo"Including one that was travelling at all of about 20 mph when it flipped onto it's roof.  It was very surreal.

OMG! time enough to realise what was about to happen before it did!  I hope the driver was dressed for the occasion (brown trews & bike clips  s:? :? s:?  )
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

MadMigMR2

I see lots of theory in this topic.
Some right some less right.

I know our car have ABS and EBD and it helps a lot in some situations and in anothers it doesn't help anything.

I don't know many more details about the situation i described.
But imagine that the road was a bit wet and when you break the car continues to go straight.
You have to do something else.
And shifting to lower will cause an instant weight transfer and the front and the rear will start to slide.
Then it's time to control it with the steering and smooth acelerator and break if necessary.

One of the drifting technics from the drift king it's called shift lock, and it's done the same way i have explained above.
Toyota MR-S 2001 Monocraft GT300 (2ZZ-GE Swap started @ 2013-01-15 & it\'s not finished yet... Specs to be announced) + BC Racing Coilovers + TRD Replic strut bars kit(by Lampka Motorspor) + CHE Suspension Links)
Blog about my MR-S: http://www.miguelgoncalves.pt | http://www.youtube.com/MadMigMR2  | http://www.facebook.com/miguelgoncalves

Anonymous

Quote from: "MadMigMR2"I see lots of theory in this topic.
Some right some less right.

s:? :? s:?

MadMigMR2

hello wooden dummy

this reply is just to tell you and the rest of the members that i'm not here to argue with anyone.
We are all here to learn something and exchange opinions.
Sometimes we are right, some times we are wrong.

I'm not saying that i'm right and i don't change my way of seeing things   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Just give me one good valuable argument and will have to agree with the opinion of that person   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Best Regards
Luis Gonçalves

PS: And i'm still looking for the 180hp   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Toyota MR-S 2001 Monocraft GT300 (2ZZ-GE Swap started @ 2013-01-15 & it\'s not finished yet... Specs to be announced) + BC Racing Coilovers + TRD Replic strut bars kit(by Lampka Motorspor) + CHE Suspension Links)
Blog about my MR-S: http://www.miguelgoncalves.pt | http://www.youtube.com/MadMigMR2  | http://www.facebook.com/miguelgoncalves

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "MadMigMR2"What You do when you see the front of the car loosing grip and you see that if you don't do anything you will crash for sure.

Easy, turn in less.

Anonymous

Quote from: "MadMigMR2"hello wooden dummy

I'm not arguing with you Mad   s:) :) s:)  

I do disagree with you on a few things but its just healthy discussion.

I don't think 180 NA is quite as easy as it seems that you think, I think its possible but I don't think its worth it and I really don't think its going to be that nice to drive once you have.

Of course I could be wrong as I never did it, I started then stopped.  I'd rather have a 2ZZ.  It won't cost me that much more and would be a hell of a lot better.

Also the   s:? :? s:?   face I posted was in reply to "theory's" as I know how to control my car   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tem

Quote from: "MadMigMR2"But imagine that the road was a bit wet and when you break the car continues to go straight.
You have to do something else.
And shifting to lower will cause an instant weight transfer and the front and the rear will start to slide.

So, in your opinion, what is the difference between shifting to lower gear (=engine braking) and braking normally?
Why wouldn't normal braking cause instant weight transfer?

Also when you say the car just goes straight if you brake...that's the case without ABS if you lock the fronts. ABS makes things very different, especially if you panic and floor the brakes. Try it for yourself. Go to a big parking lot (or track or...), get some speed and corner at the limit. Then go a bit faster so the car starts to understeer. Then hit the brakes. Does the car go straight and why not?  s;) ;) s;)

Oh and I'm not arguing either, just discussing our different views on some matters  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

juansolo

Downshifting on/over the limit mid corner is a bad thing period.  To get into a situation where you'd want to that in the first place means that you've already f**ked something up monumentally whether that's gear selection, braking, entry speed, line, etc.  Which does not inspire me with confidence in the abilities of the driver in question and makes me value his opinion on how to get out of this situation even less.  To do it to a degree that he nuked his engine re-enforces my opinion.

Sorry if that seems harsh but that's just how I read it.

Anonymous

This is a great thread to read through!  I was searching for something and came upon this one and read every post.

Someday, maybe next Spring: big bore + head work

Tags: