180hp NA

Started by Jap GT300, December 19, 2003, 11:49

juansolo

The dedicated track machine route I would add, is not neccessarily as cheap as it may appear.  In certain respects it can be;  By far the most cost effective track car are the likes of the cheaper end single seaters.  You could for example buy yourself a Formula Ford for about £8k and drop a standard 2.0 Zetec into it.  This, on a completely unstressed engine will leave ANY road car around a circuit.  Brakes last forever as can tyres as it's so light.  Maintenance may be a tad involved and you'll find yourself fettling it lot but this can be a lot of fun.  Also the savings made by not having to worry about tax/insurance/MOT etc are offset by the need for a trailer and a tow car.  Then you've got to find somewhere to store it all.

BUT, there is an ongoing issue with whether single seaters (or more to the point, open wheeled cars) should be allowed out on circuit with regular road machinery.  Some insurers are getting a bit fidgety about this and there is concern that they might get banned from track days.  It's a crying shame as they really are the perfect vehicle for the job.  It's the sole purpose for the design!  Also most of them are too small to fit the *ahem* larger gentleman.  Hence the forming of TFFAB club.  A club whose members would love a single seater but are just Too Fat For A Bedford (Formula Vauxhall Lotus).

So I was left with a caterfield.  As I say it isn't always as cheap an option as it looks.  You could luck on a proper track prepared machine like one we just sold for £8500.  Or you could buy one, blow it up, strip it down to the chassis and rebuild it and end up in the end spending twice that on a car that's worth less...  Still, I've enjoyed every minute of it and regret none of it!

I stand by the fact that the Mr2 is one of the best and cheapest to run track day cars out there out of the box.  Only when you've really exhausted what you can do with a standard one would I consider going on either of the above routes.

If you do want to spend a bit of money on it, get a second set of wheels to fit some track rubber on so you always have a good set for the road.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

No dude, I agree  (mostly, reading is hard work and i'm sweepy   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   )  Which is why i'm looking into a 2ZZ drop.

juansolo

Indeed transplant of a stock engine that posesses the characteristics you want is the way to go if you don't want to go F/I IMO.  It's massively turning a standard lump to achive the same goal that I think is unwise in a car like the Mr2.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jap GT300"+ The honda S2000 has the most powerful 2.0 engine (NA) Ever produced by a car manufacturer

240bhp  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  That is impressive

Also I love the way the VTEC cuts in like turbo at about 5k revs and keeps going to 9k!

exactly like the Celica 190 engine (190hp from a 1. s8) 8) s8) ....but, I'm not sure you'd want that happening mid-corner !! (CIN will disagree)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jonny Turbo"
Quote from: "Jap GT300"+ The honda S2000 has the most powerful 2.0 engine (NA) Ever produced by a car manufacturer

Also I love the way the VTEC cuts in like turbo at about 5k revs and keeps going to 9k!

exactly like the Celica 190 engine (190hp from a 1. s8) 8) s8) ....but, I'm not sure you'd want that happening mid-corner !! (CIN will disagree)

The S2000 engine doesn't cut in with a jump or a kick like a turbo or a normal VTEC.  When you drive it, it comes in smoothly and you barley feel it (you hear it!).

Jap GT300

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"
Quote from: "Jonny Turbo"

The S2000 engine doesn't cut in with a jump or a kick like a turbo or a normal VTEC.  When you drive it, it comes in smoothly and you barley feel it (you hear it!).

You do feel it!  I have a J-spec spoon (just dealership chassis and appearance options) and with foot to the floor when all valves cut in it throughs you into your seat.

You can come and have a test drive if you like   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

s:? :? s:?  

I drove 2 S2ks before I looked at the MR2.  One was on track.  There is no way in the world you can say that it cuts in like something in a Prelude or a turbo on a 200SX.

Honda even made a big deal about it when they released the S2000.  They had refined the engine and made it smooth.  Don't get me wrong there is a jump in power, but its not a kick like the old VTECs, and it never bothered me on a bend at all.

Great cars, how much is it going for?    s:) :) s:)

Jap GT300

2001, 7000miles - £15,495.  It is immaculate condition and the cheapest 2001 in the country.  It has every extra going except the hard top.

I'll really miss it when it goes.  I wonder if it is a bit more raw because it is used to 102Octane, the ecu fuel mapping maybe slightly different as well.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jap GT300"2001, 7000miles - £15,495.  It is immaculate condition and the cheapest 2001 in the country.  It has every extra going except the hard top.

I'll really miss it when it goes.  I wonder if it is a bit more raw because it is used to 102Octane, the ecu fuel mapping maybe slightly different as well.

Thinking about it, that could be the case.  What colour is it?

Jap GT300

Silverstone silver (not a chip or scratch on her) with grey leather (rare combo).  You could have the personal plate too  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Y2 SLY

Maybe we should do this in PM

Anonymous

the cheapest 2001 in the country ... a bold statement.  I picked up a 2002 for 12.5k ... with 6k on the clock and not a single mark .. admittedly it isnt leather or ac'd but its a soft top what do I want ac for!!    s8) 8) s8)   Had it for 6 months now and no probbies at all .. I think that I did get a bargain tho!

Jap GT300

Where was that imported from as AC and Leather is standard in both UK and Japan?

Anonymous

leather is standard .. hmm not as far as I am aware it isnt!  neither is AC.  dont hold me to it tho   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Jap GT300

It is, unless yours is pre 2000.  They also inlude zenons as standard now  which my one has.

Is yours a face lift model?

Anonymous

well when I went to the toyota dealer to enquire about a new one he told me leather was an extra £500 and AC was an extra £xxx (cant remember).

Anonymous

Quote from: "floater"well when I went to the toyota dealer to enquire about a new one he told me leather was an extra £500 and AC was an extra £xxx (cant remember).

are you talking about your MR2? I think Adam was talking about a Honda S2000...

Anonymous

hmm ok .. yeah i am on about a 2!!  I didnt read the whole post ...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  !!

Jap GT300

Ahhhhhh.  Didn't think I could price match that  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

hmm no maybe not .. I was thinking "God the Toyota Dealer was yanking my chain about the extra for leather"!!    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

MadMigMR2

jap gt 300 how i your 180hp project?

I'm in the middle of mine 180hp project also.

Monday i will have my first tuned maps for the power fc and i will be doing some more dynos.

I have a guy working on my powerfc stock maps with the info from my first dynos with powerfc

He is now optimizing them based on the telemetry data that i colected and monday he will send me a 1st test map to try.

Let's see if i can reach the 180hp without head work   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
But that will be the next stage of development.
Port & polish everywhere   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

I'm currently with 156hp and 192NM of torque with the stock powerfc that isn't optimized above 5500rpm
Toyota MR-S 2001 Monocraft GT300 (2ZZ-GE Swap started @ 2013-01-15 & it\'s not finished yet... Specs to be announced) + BC Racing Coilovers + TRD Replic strut bars kit(by Lampka Motorspor) + CHE Suspension Links)
Blog about my MR-S: http://www.miguelgoncalves.pt | http://www.youtube.com/MadMigMR2  | http://www.facebook.com/miguelgoncalves

Anonymous

Quote from: "MadMigMR2"Let's see if i can reach the 180hp without head work   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Even if you did, it wouldnt last long.  The 1ZZ is a POS.

mph

Quote from: "MadMigMR2"Let's see if i can reach the 180hp without head work   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Hmm, hello? Don't suppose you could qualify why it wouldn't last long at 180hp?
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

SteveJ

Quote from: "mph"

Hmm, hello? Don't suppose you could qualify why it wouldn't last long at 180hp?

I 2nd that - Toyota have done a huge amount of extreme testing with the engine pushing out 200+bhp during the turbo testing, with no (to our knowledge, and TTE were being very open about everything else) failures except due to radiant heat damage (and that was anciliary components anyway)

Anonymous

Why are you posting turbo remarks to a reply that I made to a 180 NA post?  The reply is in response to to someone suggesting that 180 NA might be possible on the 1ZZ without headwork.  You won't get easily get the 1ZZ to 180bhp NA without headwork and if you DID some how manage to get 180bhp without some gentle forced induction I don't see the head lasting for long.  Toyota have also done NA turning with the 1ZZ and turned backs on it, the original VM180 was a short run and if I remember from pics the head isn't even the same.  They then dropped the power down to about 155bhp and stuck with the TRD header, exhaust and intake pipe.

Can you honestly tell me you've held a 1ZZ head in your hand and thought to yourself "wow what a nice looking head, I think i'll keep that just the way it is i'm sure that will handle 180bhp".

FYIW I'd trust a well set up 1ZZ gentle turbo putting out 190bhp without headwork than I would a 180bhp NA 1ZZ, I mean the thing would drive like it was race prepped   s:? :? s:?

Jap GT300

Quote from: "MadMigMR2"jap gt 300 how i your 180hp project?

I'm in the middle of mine 180hp project also.

Monday i will have my first tuned maps for the power fc and i will be doing some more dynos.

I have a guy working on my powerfc stock maps with the info from my first dynos with powerfc

He is now optimizing them based on the telemetry data that i colected and monday he will send me a 1st test map to try.

Let's see if i can reach the 180hp without head work   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
But that will be the next stage of development.
Port & polish everywhere   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

I'm currently with 156hp and 192NM of torque with the stock powerfc that isn't optimized above 5500rpm

I'm getting very similar power to yours at present I think I was on between 156-158bhp.

I haven't yet fitted the Dastek unichip which will be done fairly shortly.  I am hoping for some good gains from that and then depending on price I will go for a full port and polish.

Adam

Tags: