What does a turbo kit consist of?

Started by uktotty, October 31, 2007, 14:22

uktotty

Many of you have turbo kits and I have read posts about this one not being complete and that one not having all the bits.
What would be your idea of a "complete" turbo kit?

Anonymous

Complete for me would be turbo, manifold, downpipe, cat, exhaust, intercooler, MAF pipe, and piggyback or standalone ECU controller. Some may say that the i/c is optional, however I would much rather have one than go without (sorry Phil!).

Options in the 'nice to have' bracket would be boost controller (manual or electronic), BOV if you want the sound, and a chargecooler.

You interested then Russ?

markiii

nows theres a question

a basic kit would have to consist of a turbo and manifold, with all associated clamps, and pipework.  oil fittings, and if appropriate water fittings.

however man would not consider that complete without engine management and injectors

yet other s would class boost controller as essential.

And in mybook complete, would also include some form of intercooler or chargecooler.

Turbos can be a bottomless pit, the knack is to define your definition of complete before spending
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

uktotty

Quote from: "Ekona"You interested then Russ?

Not me mate, I cant justify the cost for the extra performance.
Mate at work has just bought a Veilside MX5 with the "option" of the turbo kit for £650.

Cheers for the feedback Mark and Dan, I knew you clever guys would know!  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

I'd love to know exactly what kind of turbo kit you get for £650...!

uktotty

And THIS was exactly my reason for asking the question, I think Aarons cost him £4k??

Wabbitkilla

You can get some very nice supercharger kits for MX5's too.

Do you have any more info Russ, sounds intriguing
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

aaronjb

Quote from: "Ekona"I'd love to know exactly what kind of turbo kit you get for £650...!

Considering a turbo alone is £400 if you get a genuine Garrett (new)..

There are a lot more MX-5's though - parts are a lot cheaper than for the '2, so the other bits (manifold, etc) will be cheaper.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

MikeMr2

Quote from: "Ekona"I'd love to know exactly what kind of turbo kit you get for £650...!

Bloke at work built his own turbo for an MX5, with a budget of <50 quid!  More for an engineering challenge for his club's dyno day than anything else, and to annoy people who'd spent loads on their performance mods   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Best of all, he fitted it in the boot,  'cos that was the easiest place to put it! Reckoned the curling tongs he normally kept in there got a bit hot though'...   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Cake or Death?

northernalex

my brother just bought a brand new supercharger kit from jackson racing for his MK1 1.8L MX5 which takes the bhp to around 200 which includes the supercharger, all pipes and belts, and a pigyback fuel controller for £1500 (no intercooler).  All that is reccomended for safe running is an uprated fuel pump for the top end.

Fully turboed 1.8 MX5 mk1s are going on pistonheads for around 4-5K mark.. and you get a decent spec car for your money.  Shame they drink the gas.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

uktotty

Some great feedback guys, thank you, he is collecting the car on Sat so will check out the turbo kit and what it consists of then.

Anonymous

Hi,

I'm not clued up at all about turbos and performance mods on cars but I've read alot of threads in this forum and find it all quite interesting. Just out of curiosity, I hear turbocharger costs under a grand here yet the TTE turbo is £4k at SP?

Anonymous

Quote from: "i30i3i3y"Hi,

I'm not clued up at all about turbos and performance mods on cars but I've read alot of threads in this forum and find it all quite interesting. Just out of curiosity, I hear turbocharger costs under a grand here yet the TTE turbo is £4k at SP?

Where did you hear it was under a grand?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

markiii

Quote from: "nelix"
Quote from: "i30i3i3y"Hi,

Where did you hear it was under a grand?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

maybe a turbocharger is, but you need more than that to actually use it
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

evileye_wrx

The only turbo I've seen for under a grand was mine, but that was without an additional £150+ for necessary pipework.

Also factor in £250 I paid for 2nd hand engine management, £300 for tuning, £500 for a freeer flowing exhaust (paid for by selling on the old exhaust parts and cold air intake), £100 to sort out an oil leak and fit injector harness. £150 for gauges (which is cheap) and £50+ for the mechanics kebabs, a chinese and sunday lunch   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  etc it all adds up.

Of course that's not including everything else which is needed but hasn't been added yet such as intercooler (for Dan's piece of mind!), Clutch and flywheel (bought for £200+ 2nd hand but not yet fitted), Bigger injectors (bought 2nd hand but not fitted) wideband O2 and innovate.

There's probably more to add to that amount. Oh, getting it fixed when the afr and boost go thru the roof but there's about 3 grand by the end of it. There's no such thing as a £1000 turbo.
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

VVT-i

I only wish there was a turbo kit for a grand.. like Phil says.. its closer to %K by the time you have all the other bits (optional parts included) that go with it... but still.. I can't wait till mine is finished (starts Monday)
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

Tags: