air filters

Started by Anonymous, June 13, 2003, 07:55

Anonymous

Which one is the best to get??
do they give much power gain?? does the petrol consumption go up alot??

cheers

Slacey

I've got an Apex induction kit fitted to my car, the power gain is minimal to none, but the sound  is awesome!
As for fuel economy, mine improved!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:D :D s:D
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"I've got an Apex induction kit fitted to my car, the power gain is minimal to none, but the sound  is awesome!
As for fuel economy, mine improved!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:D :D s:D

If anything, I found the opposite with fuel consumption; probably only because that sound is soooo addictive, you just have to keep planting your right foot...   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I've got a K&N filter element.  The effect is probably about 98% psychological but it does sound better.  It's that long since I have the stock filter that I couldn't say if there are any performance differences, I seem to remember at the time the engine seemed to rev a bit more freely but that could be BS.

--H--

Anonymous

i noticed the same with my old car - that had a K&N 57i Kit on it and like HC it 'seemed' to rev easier... but like he says, probably all in your head!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tem

A test worth reading:
 m http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filter ... index.html m

They all give about same gain (in same place), but check the difference between their filtration!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

And one extra pro for Apexi is that you don't need to oil it. The AFM doesn't work properly if it gets any oil on it..

Edit: Yeah, pro, not con  s:) :) s:)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"And one extra con for Apexi is that you don't need to oil it. The AFM doesn't work properly if it gets any oil on it..
I thin you mean pro, not con.

--H--

mph

Quote from: "keninski"Which one is the best to get??
do they give much power gain?? does the petrol consumption go up alot??

cheers
There are no power gains to be had from changing the filter/type. Maybe lots of claims but little proof. I have an A'PEXi and can tell you there is no measurable difference in engine power output.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

I do find it odd really that there are rarely any power gains to be measured as the theory is spot on, freer air flow should release more power.  I guess the point it that these after market air filter kits really don't free up the air flow sufficiently to show any real power increases.

--H--

Tem

Quote from: "Hardcore"
Quote from: "Tem"And one extra con for Apexi is that you don't need to oil it. The AFM doesn't work properly if it gets any oil on it..
I thin you mean pro, not con.

You're right, thanks  s:) :) s:)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hardcore"I do find it odd really that there are rarely any power gains to be measured as the theory is spot on, freer air flow should release more power.

Lots of theory abounds that the airflow after fitting an intake (esp one on a "short" pipe) causes turbulent flow past the MAF sensor.

Even with a longer pipe to stabilise flow, it's likely that there's still a spiral flow (ie denser at the outside), rather than a nice linear one as you'd get from the stock airbox. That could cause the MAF to underread (since it measures at the centre of the pipe), causing you to run lean. Some have tried to fit baffles within the pipe, before the MAF, to comabt this.

This is all theory at present, since no-one (AFAIK) has done the computational fluid dynamics   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

so would fitting an induction kit harm the ECU with error readings ???

Anonymous

I have an Injen kit from the US.  Anodised red, which looks great in my silver 2.  I agree with the others, the best part is the sound, especially 2nd & 3rd gears.  Just like a mini v8  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Sam

I had the HKS Racing Suction Kit fitted recently, and the car sounds completely different, I enjoyed the sound with the TTE pipes before, but now it is amazing - really bursts into life as soon as you hit 4000rpm.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
It is quoted by HKS as providing a 5BHP gain - whether that is true or not I have no idea. Maybe it is just the noise convincing me, but the car does feel a little more eager off the mark.
Sam

[size=75]\'01 Black Roadster
Leda Adjustable Struts/Eibach Springs/TTE Stabilizer Bars/TRD Bracing/TTE 17" 9-Spokes/Toda Flywheel/Unichip/TTE Exhaust/TTE Front Bumper/TRD Quickshift[/size]

Anonymous

So would changing the stock air filter to an uprated one i.e. Blitz or Apiex, have any conflict on the MAF sensor thingy in the tubing ??? Would this cause problems for the ECU?

And have any of you lot who have upgraded these intakes had any problems ??   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Slacey

I've had my Apex fitted for around six months and  have had no problems at all. I'm going to check it tomorrow to see how (if at all) dirty the MAF is and how the actual filter is bearing up.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"so would fitting an induction kit harm the ECU with error readings ???

You can't harm the ECU (short of feeding it 240v  s:) :) s:)  )... if the ECU detects anything wrong from any of the many sensors, it reverts to an ultra-safe "limp-home" mode (with a CEL light on the dash), to protect the engine.

I've never heard of an intake change ever causing a CEL, and it's something many people have done.

markiii

depends if you put the maf back correctly
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Can you clean the MAF ?? So is upgrading the air filter a good idea if your after a little more HP and a better sound??

Slacey

Quote from: "Buster"Can you clean the MAF ?? So is upgrading the air filter a good idea if your after a little more HP and a better sound??

Yes, you can clean the MAF - there is a good artice over at Spydermagazine.com - I may end up cleaning mine today, if it needs it. As for the question of it being a good idea; it is for the sound you get, but as discussed there is little if no power to be gained. I believe the easiest way of gaining more BHP is by removing the cats.

Anonymous

Cats   s:!: :!: s:!:  

what intise them out with whiskers or prawns or somthing   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   sorry condent resist LOL

Where did you get ur Apex fitted and supplied ????

Slacey

Quote from: "Buster"Cats   s:!: :!: s:!:  

what intise them out with whiskers or prawns or somthing   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   sorry condent resist LOL

Where did you get ur Apex fitted and supplied ????

Yes Buster, very funny  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Believe it or not (you know all about my car audio numptyness) I fitted the Apex myself   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   and sourced it direct from Japan at http://www.japanparts.com, these guys are excellent to deal with.

Chris

another place would be MTTE at  m http://www.mrtwo.co.uk m

this is where I got mine from, about £160 iirc
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Comer

Chris you've left the Apexi off your signature of mods  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

dose it sit behind the battery?? could yuo take pics by any chance please   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

thankyou  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: