air filters

Started by Anonymous, June 13, 2003, 07:55

Slacey

No, it's not behind the battery, so the experts say it's not ideal. See the pic.

Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Chris

Quote from: "Comer"Chris you've left the Apexi off your signature of mods  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

That's because it's not fitted yet - hopefully at the millway day...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Slacey:

So have you had any problems with this being in the "hot air" and is it near the gap in the rear bumper so it can draw air in?   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

This is the whole problem with cold air induction for mid engined cars, hence the lovely  s:? :? s:?  roof scoop solution for the Mk2 MR2.

--H--

Anonymous

so how dose teh stabdard air box get away with this problem ? dose it have a seperate air feed ??

This is so confussing i want to get one but i dont want to damage the engine!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

I'm no engineer but my understanding is that a standard air filter and box doesn't require cold air to be pushed/sucked in to it like an induction kit does.  The point of an induction kit is to suck higher pressure cold air in to the engine to boost power, if there is not cold air forced in to an induction type air intake system then you won't see any power increases and the fact it's sucking less dence hot air from the engine bay might actually give you a drop in power.

That's my, layman's, view anyway, anone care to correct me?...

--H--

Chris

Nope, you got my vote HC!  That's the conclusion that I'm coming to as well!

Looks like we need to source a place for cold (clean?) air to be piped from...
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

One possible solution would be to do what they have done on the VX Turbo, i.e. extend the side intakes into 'scoops' so that they actually become a high pressure intake to force air in to the engine bay.

I have no idea if this would work on the '2, I'm no aerodynamicist!

--H--

Anonymous

So if we were to get a steady cold air flow to the intake this would make the engine run better ????

But if we had an apexi like slacey's would this be harmfull to the engine???

Also if we placed the intake behind the battery where heat is minermal and gave a cold feed from the intake on the side would that be suddifcent as it will have the abbility to suck in cold air not hot air !   s:? :? s:?    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"So if we were to get a steady cold air flow to the intake this would make the engine run better ????
Yes, if by better you mean with more power.

Quote from: "Buster"But if we had an apexi like slacey's would this be harmfull to the engine???
No, it just might not give you the power increase you are hoping for, and could actually derease power.

Quote from: "Buster"Also if we placed the intake behind the battery where heat is minermal and gave a cold feed from the intake on the side would that be suddifcent as it will have the abbility to suck in cold air not hot air !   s:? :? s:?    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
The air would probably be cooler, and therefore denser, here but it's not really a case of sucking in the cooler air, you need to have a flow of cold air in to the intake.  Apparently (and it's certainly believable IMHO) the side intakes on the '2 are a low air pressure area and therefore there is no real 'ram' effect forcing air in to the engine bay.  Extending the bodwork around the side intakes into 'scoops' may help this.

--H--

Anonymous

could you not run a pipe from your A/C (if you have it) into the filter... although having A/C on reduces the power so probably would not be any better.... just one of my crazy ideas!   s:? :? s:?    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"could you not run a pipe from your A/C (if you have it) into the filter... although having A/C on reduces the power so probably would not be any better.... just one of my crazy ideas!   s:? :? s:?    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
You know the thing I like about you Kris is that you can propose a theory and discredit it in a single sentence.

Of course what you are talking about (sort of!) is a supercharger as this is driven by the engine.  The difference being that a supercharger actually creates more additional engine power than it saps in being driven itself.

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hardcore"
Quote from: "krisclarkuk"could you not run a pipe from your A/C (if you have it) into the filter... although having A/C on reduces the power so probably would not be any better.... just one of my crazy ideas!   s:? :? s:?    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
You know the thing I like about you Kris is that you can propose a theory and discredit it in a single sentence.

Of course what you are talking about (sort of!) is a supercharger as this is driven by the engine.  The difference being that a supercharger actually creates more additional engine power than it saps in being driven itself.

--H--

s:P :P s:P    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

Anyone got the Blitz SUS?

Slacey

Quote from: "Buster"Slacey:

So have you had any problems with this being in the "hot air" and is it near the gap in the rear bumper so it can draw air in?   s:? :? s:?

No, no problems at all - even sat in traffic on a hot day, the engine hasn't stuttered or complained in any way at all. I am aware of the 'hot air' thing, but as I said, the car always runs fine. As for the positioning, it is near the gap, but basically the stock airbox is fed from a pipe coming off the passenger side vent, in fitting the Apex you remove this pipe, so (when on the move) it is fed cold air from outside. Obviously, this has no effect when the car is at a standstill.
If you do a bit of digging around on Spyderchat, Hong (Pelican_Racing) has made a custom intake which does run around the back of the battery, which he reckons is better.

Anonymous

what are your views on your intake?

is there much h/p gain ???
what dose it sound like?
and dose it look good, from the picture you cant see the cone!

Slacey

I'm really pleased with it Buster, the performance increase is minimal, but the car definately seems to rev more freely and pick up a bit quicker. The sound is awesome. You can't really hear anything at tickover, but when you put your foot down in 2nd & 3rd.... wow! As someone said before, it sounds like a little V8!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  
And lastly, yes, it does look good - the cone is very high quality, coloured black with red filter material, but as you said, you can't see mine as I chose to fit the optional heatshield. I'll take this off for JAE.

Tem

How about the Twister? It's basically just like any other filter, but comes in a box. And if you put a hose between that and let's say our side intake, it would only get cold air in...

Here's a pic of it, on the lower left:
 m http://koti.mbnet.fi/temmeke/tmp/filsu6.jpg m

And before you say it looks small and restrictive...that outlet is about 4 inches  s:) :) s:)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Would taht be able to fit on air intake??? Term

Slacey: Could you help me ordering it i dont know what it's called ??   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Slacey

No problem at all Buster, I'll get an up-to-date quote from both Japanparts (where I had mine from) and MTTE, I'll post again when I get a price   s:D :D s:D

Chris

Quote from: "Buster"Extending the bodwork around the side intakes into 'scoops' may help this.

--H--

Ah, something like the v6 clio or new vx220 by the sounds of it.  Looks like it would need a wide rear arch body kit, as I'm not sure what it would look like with scoops breaking the side profile of the car...
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

V6 Clio Air Scoops = OH DEAR......   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Dont you think they look like the car has been covered in glue and driven through the accessories section of halfords!?!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Comer

Quote from: "Buster"Would taht be able to fit on air intake??? Term

Slacey: Could you help me ordering it i dont know what it's called ??   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Buster I'm just about to ask Japan Parts for a quote as I'm well up for getting one.  In case you want to go direct it is an Apexi Power Induction kit for an MR-S (MR2 Roadster to us).
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Chris

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"V6 Clio Air Scoops = OH DEAR......   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Dont you think they look like the car has been covered in glue and driven through the accessories section of halfords!?!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

A little maybe - i think it would look better colour coded, as the only one I've seen (in this months evo) has them white on a red car...
[size=100]
[/size]

Comer

Quote from: "SlaceyNo, no problems at all - even sat in traffic on a hot day, the engine hasn't stuttered or complained in any way at all. I am aware of the 'hot air' thing, but as I said, the car always runs fine. As for the positioning, it is near the gap, but basically the stock airbox is fed from a pipe coming off the passenger side vent, in fitting the Apex you remove this pipe, so (when on the move) it is fed cold air from outside. Obviously, this has no effect when the car is at a standstill.

I'm hoping my lower rear mesh grill will let a little cooler air in but because it is the rear of the car the air won't be forced in.
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Tags: